USB mass storage device not getting drive letter

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2005 6:09:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

I got an external USB hard disk enclosure. It works fine on my laptop,
it gets detected, drivers get loaded, and everything shows up fine in
Device Manager, and a drive letter is assigned to it. When I put the
same device onto my desktop, almost everything happens the same,
except it doesn't get a drive letter assigned to it. I don't see it in
Disk Manager.

All computers are running XP SP2. I've tried it in a second desktop PC
with XP SP2 as well, and exact same thing happens -- no drive letter,
no recognition from Disk Manager, but Device Manager sees it fine
doesn't find any problems with it.

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 5, 2005 10:55:05 PM

none wrote:
> Do you already have a drive Z:?
>
> Can you set a drive letter from Device Manager, under properties?

No, as I said, it doesn't show up as a disk under Disk Manager, but it
does show up as a device under Device Manager.

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2005 1:41:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Try using diskpart from the commandline to assign a drive. Hope this
works it has worked for me when I needed to make a drive showup. Could
be something else.

Later,

Alan

ykhan> I got an external USB hard disk enclosure. It works fine on my
ykhan> laptop, it gets detected, drivers get loaded, and everything
ykhan> shows up fine in Device Manager, and a drive letter is
ykhan> assigned to it. When I put the same device onto my desktop,
ykhan> almost everything happens the same, except it doesn't get a
ykhan> drive letter assigned to it. I don't see it in Disk Manager.

ykhan> All computers are running XP SP2. I've tried it in a second
ykhan> desktop PC with XP SP2 as well, and exact same thing happens
ykhan> -- no drive letter, no recognition from Disk Manager, but
ykhan> Device Manager sees it fine doesn't find any problems with it.

ykhan> Yousuf Khan
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2005 5:27:47 AM

Alan Walpool wrote:
> Try using diskpart from the commandline to assign a drive. Hope this
> works it has worked for me when I needed to make a drive showup. Could
> be something else.

Didn't work.

I heard somewhere that the USB mass storage driver doesn't seem to work
in a system with more than one hard drive (which is the case for all of
my desktops)?

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2005 6:10:32 AM

On 5 Mar 2005 15:09:33 -0800, yjkhan@gmail.com (ykhan) wrote:

>I got an external USB hard disk enclosure. It works fine on my laptop,
>it gets detected, drivers get loaded, and everything shows up fine in
>Device Manager, and a drive letter is assigned to it. When I put the
>same device onto my desktop, almost everything happens the same,
>except it doesn't get a drive letter assigned to it. I don't see it in
>Disk Manager.
>
>All computers are running XP SP2. I've tried it in a second desktop PC
>with XP SP2 as well, and exact same thing happens -- no drive letter,
>no recognition from Disk Manager, but Device Manager sees it fine
>doesn't find any problems with it.

Do you have partitions and/or network drives on your desktop? I've had
trouble with "collisions" between drive letters and I'm still not sure of
the rules - sometimes it seems that a drive letter "sticks" with removable
drives across systems. In Device Manager for the drive, from the Volumes
Tab click on Populate and see what drive letters it wants to use and a
possible collision, then go to Disk Management and fiddle with the drive
letters.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Anonymous

On 5 Mar 2005 19:55:05 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

>none wrote:
>> Do you already have a drive Z:?
>>
>> Can you set a drive letter from Device Manager, under properties?
>
>No, as I said, it doesn't show up as a disk under Disk Manager, but it
>does show up as a device under Device Manager.

How do the device driver details compare on the two machines?

RM
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2005 3:19:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Bitstring <vfdl21dblivmild0kmqitqedfrpcjpnv9n@4ax.com>, from the
wonderful person George Macdonald <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com>
said
>On 5 Mar 2005 15:09:33 -0800, yjkhan@gmail.com (ykhan) wrote:
>
>>I got an external USB hard disk enclosure. It works fine on my laptop,
>>it gets detected, drivers get loaded, and everything shows up fine in
>>Device Manager, and a drive letter is assigned to it. When I put the
>>same device onto my desktop, almost everything happens the same,
>>except it doesn't get a drive letter assigned to it. I don't see it in
>>Disk Manager.
>>
>>All computers are running XP SP2. I've tried it in a second desktop PC
>>with XP SP2 as well, and exact same thing happens -- no drive letter,
>>no recognition from Disk Manager, but Device Manager sees it fine
>>doesn't find any problems with it.
>
>Do you have partitions and/or network drives on your desktop? I've had
>trouble with "collisions" between drive letters and I'm still not sure of
>the rules - sometimes it seems that a drive letter "sticks" with removable
>drives across systems. In Device Manager for the drive, from the Volumes
>Tab click on Populate and see what drive letters it wants to use and a
>possible collision, then go to Disk Management and fiddle with the drive
>letters.

They shouldn't stick across systems, but they will definitely stick
across time - i.e. if a WinXP system has ever seen a formatted drive it
will have the (last) drive letter stored in the registry, which can
cause all sorts of confusion later. Usually it seems to work out OK, but
sometimes ..

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.

Robert Myers wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2005 19:55:05 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do the device driver details compare on the two machines?

They're almost identical, except for the no drive letter thingy.
Actually I don't have access to that machine where it's working right
now, that's in Montreal. I use (or was planning to use) this USB hard
disk to transfer files back and forth between my two setups in Ottawa
and Montreal (whereas previously I used to bring the whole laptop with
me when coming back to Ottawa).

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2005 4:44:14 PM

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 02:27:47 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote:

>Alan Walpool wrote:
>> Try using diskpart from the commandline to assign a drive. Hope this
>> works it has worked for me when I needed to make a drive showup. Could
>> be something else.
>
>Didn't work.
>
>I heard somewhere that the USB mass storage driver doesn't seem to work
>in a system with more than one hard drive (which is the case for all of
>my desktops)?
>
> Yousuf Khan

I have 6 sca drives across two hbas, four optical drives, and 3 emulated CDs,
a SM/CF combo usb mass storage device plus a "thumb drive", all running under
XP Pro. No issues.

I think you're still missing a driver. Maybe the chipset drivers didn't
install correctly?

/daytripper
March 6, 2005 5:41:46 PM

"ykhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I got an external USB hard disk enclosure. It works fine on my laptop,
> it gets detected, drivers get loaded, and everything shows up fine in
> Device Manager, and a drive letter is assigned to it. When I put the
> same device onto my desktop, almost everything happens the same,
> except it doesn't get a drive letter assigned to it. I don't see it in
> Disk Manager.
>
> All computers are running XP SP2. I've tried it in a second desktop PC
> with XP SP2 as well, and exact same thing happens -- no drive letter,
> no recognition from Disk Manager, but Device Manager sees it fine
> doesn't find any problems with it.
>
> Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2005 6:53:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

> none <none@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Do you already have a drive Z:?

Does XP support environment variable LASTDRIVE ?
If so, is there any chance it's set to something
other than Z ?

My guess is that this isn't a productive line of
inquiry, as my various Win2K docs are entirely
silent on the topic, so chances are it's not an
XP feature.

March 6, 2005 7:23:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

My USB drive works fine on a system with two other hard drives.

Get TweakUI and be sure to set last drive to Z.

--

LEO

The supply of government exceeds the demand.

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
> Alan Walpool wrote:
>> Try using diskpart from the commandline to assign a drive.
>> Hope this
>> works it has worked for me when I needed to make a drive
>> showup. Could
>> be something else.
>
> Didn't work.
>
> I heard somewhere that the USB mass storage driver doesn't seem
> to work in a system with more than one hard drive (which is the
> case for all of my desktops)?
>
> Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 6, 2005 9:51:05 PM

Bob Niland wrote:
> Does XP support environment variable LASTDRIVE ?
> If so, is there any chance it's set to something
> other than Z ?

No, I haven't seen the lastdrive used since the DOS days, and even then
in the last days of DOS, they were already defaulting to Lastdrive of Z.
I have plenty of drive letters available, just none of them are used
by this drive.

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2005 9:00:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 12:19:11 +0000, GSV Three Minds in a Can
<GSV@quik.clara.co.uk> wrote:

>Bitstring <vfdl21dblivmild0kmqitqedfrpcjpnv9n@4ax.com>, from the
>wonderful person George Macdonald <fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com>
>said
>>On 5 Mar 2005 15:09:33 -0800, yjkhan@gmail.com (ykhan) wrote:
>>
>>>I got an external USB hard disk enclosure. It works fine on my laptop,
>>>it gets detected, drivers get loaded, and everything shows up fine in
>>>Device Manager, and a drive letter is assigned to it. When I put the
>>>same device onto my desktop, almost everything happens the same,
>>>except it doesn't get a drive letter assigned to it. I don't see it in
>>>Disk Manager.
>>>
>>>All computers are running XP SP2. I've tried it in a second desktop PC
>>>with XP SP2 as well, and exact same thing happens -- no drive letter,
>>>no recognition from Disk Manager, but Device Manager sees it fine
>>>doesn't find any problems with it.
>>
>>Do you have partitions and/or network drives on your desktop? I've had
>>trouble with "collisions" between drive letters and I'm still not sure of
>>the rules - sometimes it seems that a drive letter "sticks" with removable
>>drives across systems. In Device Manager for the drive, from the Volumes
>>Tab click on Populate and see what drive letters it wants to use and a
>>possible collision, then go to Disk Management and fiddle with the drive
>>letters.
>
>They shouldn't stick across systems, but they will definitely stick
>across time - i.e. if a WinXP system has ever seen a formatted drive it
>will have the (last) drive letter stored in the registry, which can
>cause all sorts of confusion later. Usually it seems to work out OK, but
>sometimes ..

In a perfect world, GUIDs (Globally Unique IDs) *really* are unique.:-)
I've seen some oddball behavior which I cannot explain.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Anonymous

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:
> Suspect this if Drive Manager shows the device (drive, volume) but
you
> don't see it in Windows Explorer. Use Drive Manager to set a
> different drive letter so that it escapes the shadow of the LAN
share.

No, "Drive" Manager (actually is "Disk" Manager, but I know what you
meant) is not showing it at all as a volume. If it showed up in Disk
Manager, I would've known what to do with it then.

Strangely enough, now this drive is not showing up on its original home
either, where it was working previously. I'm going to have see what
else is going on here, maybe something got shaken loose while I was
transporting it?

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2005 1:56:43 PM

Leo wrote:
> My USB drive works fine on a system with two other hard drives.
>
> Get TweakUI and be sure to set last drive to Z.

I did check it out with TweakUI originally.

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2005 2:03:41 PM

Scott Alfter wrote:
> I'm assuming that the drive is already partitioned and formatted.
When you
> plug it into your desktop and bring up the Disk Management plugin, is
it not
> showing up at all? The drive and its partitions should show up
there,
> whether one or more drive letters are allocated to the drive or not.
I've
> had parts of flash-card readers not get drive letters when they're
plugged
> in because they were already taken by network shares or other drives;
going
> into Disk Management and reassigning drive letters has always cleared
up the
> problem for me.

Yeah, it was already partitioned and formatted. In fact, it was
carrying some data for me that I wanted to transfer between a couple of
my machines, which I was not able to transfer because of this problem.

It's like as if the partition has gone totally missing. Actually even
if it was a completely blank unpartitioned disk, it would still show up
inside disk manager which would then give me the option to partition
and format it. But it doesn't show that.

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2005 2:05:26 PM

Franc Zabkar wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2005 15:09:33 -0800, yjkhan@gmail.com (ykhan) put finger to
> keyboard and composed:
>
> >I got an external USB hard disk enclosure. It works fine on my
laptop,
> >it gets detected, drivers get loaded, and everything shows up fine
in
> >Device Manager, and a drive letter is assigned to it. When I put the
> >same device onto my desktop, almost everything happens the same,
> >except it doesn't get a drive letter assigned to it. I don't see it
in
> >Disk Manager.
>
> Is a USB pen/thumb/flash drive assigned a drive letter?

Usually yes.

Were you asking a question or making an observation?

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2005 3:44:46 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 18:51:05 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com>
>Bob Niland wrote:

>> Does XP support environment variable LASTDRIVE ?

>No, I haven't seen the lastdrive used since the DOS days

One of the things that can hide a drive letter in XP, is a network
share with the same drive letter. This applies both to USB sticks and
to hard drive volumes.

Suspect this if Drive Manager shows the device (drive, volume) but you
don't see it in Windows Explorer. Use Drive Manager to set a
different drive letter so that it escapes the shadow of the LAN share.

>---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Cats have 9 lives, which makes them
ideal for experimentation!
>---------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 7, 2005 8:54:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On 5 Mar 2005 15:09:33 -0800, yjkhan@gmail.com (ykhan) put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>I got an external USB hard disk enclosure. It works fine on my laptop,
>it gets detected, drivers get loaded, and everything shows up fine in
>Device Manager, and a drive letter is assigned to it. When I put the
>same device onto my desktop, almost everything happens the same,
>except it doesn't get a drive letter assigned to it. I don't see it in
>Disk Manager.

Is a USB pen/thumb/flash drive assigned a drive letter?

- Franc Zabkar
a b à CPUs
March 8, 2005 3:36:04 AM

On 7 Mar 2005 10:55:10 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

>cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:
>> Suspect this if Drive Manager shows the device (drive, volume) but
>you
>> don't see it in Windows Explorer. Use Drive Manager to set a
>> different drive letter so that it escapes the shadow of the LAN
>share.
>
>No, "Drive" Manager (actually is "Disk" Manager, but I know what you
>meant) is not showing it at all as a volume. If it showed up in Disk
>Manager, I would've known what to do with it then.
>
>Strangely enough, now this drive is not showing up on its original home
>either, where it was working previously. I'm going to have see what
>else is going on here, maybe something got shaken loose while I was
>transporting it?

Does it still show in Device Manager as a drive? If so what does Populate
show?

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On 7 Mar 2005 11:05:26 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> put finger to
keyboard and composed:

>Franc Zabkar wrote:
>> On 5 Mar 2005 15:09:33 -0800, yjkhan@gmail.com (ykhan) put finger to
>> keyboard and composed:
>>
>> >I got an external USB hard disk enclosure. It works fine on my
>laptop,
>> >it gets detected, drivers get loaded, and everything shows up fine
>in
>> >Device Manager, and a drive letter is assigned to it. When I put the
>> >same device onto my desktop, almost everything happens the same,
>> >except it doesn't get a drive letter assigned to it. I don't see it
>in
>> >Disk Manager.
>>
>> Is a USB pen/thumb/flash drive assigned a drive letter?
>
>Usually yes.
>
>Were you asking a question or making an observation?
>
> Yousuf Khan

Sorry, I realised just after posting that my question may have been
ambiguous. What I was asking was whether a flash drive is assigned a
drive letter on *your* system in its present state. If so, then this
could shed some light on any LASTDRIVE issue, ie it could confirm
whether additional drive letters were available. Does the USB HD's
drive letter show up in Device Manager but not in Explorer, or is it
missing from both? Is it possible that the drive letter is hidden
(Tweakui should be able to tell you this)? If you switch to a command
prompt, can you see the HD using a DIR command?

- Franc Zabkar
a b à CPUs
March 8, 2005 11:06:29 PM

George Macdonald wrote:
> Does it still show in Device Manager as a drive? If so what does Populate
> show?

Yes, it shows under Device Manager, Disk Drives, as "USB 2.0 Storage
Device USB Device".

I don't see a Populate option for it.

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 9, 2005 6:47:28 AM

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 20:06:29 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote:

>George Macdonald wrote:
>> Does it still show in Device Manager as a drive? If so what does Populate
>> show?
>
>Yes, it shows under Device Manager, Disk Drives, as "USB 2.0 Storage
>Device USB Device".
>
>I don't see a Populate option for it.

Under the Volumes tab of a disk/cd/dvd etc. drive there should be a
Populate button. If it ain't there, I'd think something might be wrong
with the MBR - not sure if bootitng www.bootitng.com works with USB yet but
it'd be worth a try to see what it makes of it. Other than that if you
care about the data, some other disk fix software?

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Anonymous

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

I had some problems getting my usb enclosure to show up and work on my
two computer also. My problem was with the drivers. I went to this
website:
http://www.usbnews.net/news/drivers%20for%20usb%20drive...
and used their generic usb enclosure drivers to get my enclosure
working and it works great. I hope this will help in your case as well.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2005 11:21:13 AM

ura_12b wrote:
> I had some problems getting my usb enclosure to show up and work on my
> two computer also. My problem was with the drivers. I went to this
> website:
> http://www.usbnews.net/news/drivers%20for%20usb%20drive...
> and used their generic usb enclosure drivers to get my enclosure
> working and it works great. I hope this will help in your case as well.

Thanks for the pointer, I'll check that site out.

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2005 3:21:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

The mystery has been solved. The drive inside the enclosure seems to
have died. I took a drive out of another laptop and plugged it into
here and found that it worked. There's a little airhole in these laptop
drives how much clearance is needed above them?

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2005 11:42:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Hi, removing the side of your case and blowing cool air inside, maybe a
hairdryer, might prove whether it's a heat issue. Other than that I've seen
the same issue when the memory chips of the card are failing....
ChrisC
> The mystery has been solved. The drive inside the enclosure seems to
> have died. I took a drive out of another laptop and plugged it into
> here and found that it worked. There's a little airhole in these laptop
> drives how much clearance is needed above them?
>
> Yousuf Khan

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2005 6:54:12 AM

On 11 Mar 2005 12:21:39 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

>The mystery has been solved. The drive inside the enclosure seems to
>have died. I took a drive out of another laptop and plugged it into
>here and found that it worked. There's a little airhole in these laptop
>drives how much clearance is needed above them?

The air hole is for pressure equalization and not for ventilation. No
clearance is required.

One issue I've observed is that some USB enclosures for 2.5" notebook
drives do not use an external power source and instead rely on a
"double" USB plug. This causes problems with certain systems, and can
cause the symptoms you described. Sometimes the drive won't spin up,
and sometimes it won't get a drive letter. And these problems may come
and go, or not appear at all on certain systems, depending on the
amount of power supplied by the USB ports.
- -
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only
February 17, 2009 10:21:36 AM

I noticed when the computer is mapped to a network drive letter and if the letter is a F,G etc.
The computer does not show the drive letter, but if the network drive is mapped to X,Y etc. then the drive is recognized with a drive letter.
April 3, 2009 2:32:15 AM

I don't know if this will add clarity to this old discussion, but more information perhaps. I bought a USB 2.0 Universal Drive Adapter from Other World Computing <www.macsales.com&gt; which allows almost any kind of drive to be mounted as a USB drive. However, on my PC (Win XP SP2) no drive I plugged in was assigned a drive letter. How annoying!

One suggestion was to look at all drives in the Windows Disk Management utility, which I did. It showed up, but without a letter. Using the utility, I deleted the two partitions that were on a small drive I was using to test, and used it to re-create a single one. Almost as soon as I told it to do so, it assigned it a letter! (FYI, I have two hard drives and two CD-ROM drives in this machine.)

After it was reformatted (I believe that is what it did), it seemed to be happy again. I don't think this was an issue with the Drive Adapter thingy, but some weird Windows behavior. I wish I had a better explanation, and I don't believe that the Mac-centric nature of the Drive Adapter was part of the problem.

BTW, at the time of this writing, the URL for the Adapter was: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/U2NV2...

April 3, 2009 6:40:12 PM

Assign go to "Find New Hardware" and manually add it. If it still doesn't work it's broke.
April 14, 2009 3:33:52 AM

GreenHornet98 said:
I don't know if this will add clarity to this old discussion, but more information perhaps. I bought a USB 2.0 Universal Drive Adapter from Other World Computing <www.macsales.com&gt; which allows almost any kind of drive to be mounted as a USB drive. However, on my PC (Win XP SP2) no drive I plugged in was assigned a drive letter. How annoying!

Hey GreenHornet9 - I bought this exact adapter and am having the same issue: known good drives are showing up in Device Mangler, but NOT in Disk Management or Explorer. You got lucky - at least your drive showed up in Disk Management - I'd be thrilled if I could get this far. I'm also using a fairly recent PC w/ USB 2.0 ports and WinXP SP2 (up-to-date patches).

Incidentally, I also checked into the recent problem with Microsoft's patch for disabling AutoPlay settings; after poking around the various REG entries, I'm fairly (though not 100%) certain this isn't the problem.

Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
Muser
muser10863 at hotmail dot com
August 20, 2011 1:07:43 PM

Hello,
I have recently come across the same situation, i.e. the USB external 320G harddisk could be recognized by Win XP SP2 as a mass storage device but no such drive displayed in 'My Computer'. However, its model was identified under 'My Computer > [right click] Management > Device Manager'. --- What the hell is going on, the PC tell the user that something was found and could work properly --- How to put or get file from this hidden drive? It's absoultely rediculous. What the programmer want to play with the user?
In another way, since the drive has stored more than 100G important data, no one would perform the fdisk/format procedure at all. [I found that someone in some websites just advise to do it, if so, I don't think that these guys are professional at all.] I have tried to dismount the 300G SATA harddisk from the USB enclosure, and connect it internally to the PC via the SATA cable to the mother board of course. Same result and response as it were externally connected via the USB-SATA interface.
Finally, I have checked the same results in other desktop and portable PCs. Oh, a further proving of my PC USB ports were confirmed functioning properrly by using other 120G USB external drive.
At this stage, I could not find a working suggestion from the Web.
Hing
[kaihingc@yahoo.com.hk]
December 31, 2012 11:11:36 PM

what a buncha crap. tried all the solutions here and as usual NONE of them work still no drive letter shows.the mass storage device is installed drivers up to date and nothing shows.are any of you geeks smart or all of u stupid??I have asked ?s on here b4 with the exact same results none of your information works P E R O I D. like i said a bunch a C R A P.
!