CPU pins bent :/

my dad dropped my unused AMD 64 3500+ onto my other computer and bent
the pins. he did a custom job of re-aligning them with a screw driver
and putting into my mobo. I finished building my pc (about 5 hours
later) and started it..... it runs.... but with nothing. its just
sits there a black screen. Do ya reckon its his fault cause he will
have to buy me a new one if it is.
9 answers Last reply
More about pins bent

    On 7 Mar 2005 05:16:04 -0500,
    blak_stallion02@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (GlimmerMan) wrote:

    >my dad dropped my unused AMD 64 3500+ onto my other computer and bent
    >the pins. he did a custom job of re-aligning them with a screw driver
    >and putting into my mobo. I finished building my pc (about 5 hours
    >later) and started it..... it runs.... but with nothing. its just
    >sits there a black screen. Do ya reckon its his fault cause he will
    >have to buy me a new one if it is.

    That was a 2nd mistake - using a screwdriver.:-) Straightening pins, if
    feasible at all, is best done with a thin tweezer so you don't put side
    stress on the base of the pins... though I'd hate to have to tackle a
    939-pin job. Did you inspect the pins carefully before inserting it and
    found none bent over? I'm not sure what the chances are that a pin which
    appears to be still correct, might have lost good contact at its base.

    What do you mean it runs? Fans and drives turning doesn't really mean
    anything. Any beeps or flashing of keyboard LEDs? Assuming you have a
    floppy drive, if you put a floppy in does it get as far as accessing it?
    No diags on the mbrd?... some newer mbrds have diagnostics LEDs on the
    board or a plug-in bracket.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

    On 7 Mar 2005 05:16:04 -0500,
    blak_stallion02@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (GlimmerMan) wrote:

    >my dad dropped my unused AMD 64 3500+ onto my other computer and bent
    >the pins. he did a custom job of re-aligning them with a screw driver
    >and putting into my mobo. I finished building my pc (about 5 hours
    >later) and started it..... it runs.... but with nothing. its just
    >sits there a black screen. Do ya reckon its his fault cause he will
    >have to buy me a new one if it is.

    You sure he straightened *all* the pins? You need to look very closely
    through a powerful magnifying glass to see for sure. I put in a cpu
    with a bent pin once and it shorted my mb and I got the same results
    you have now. I found the bent pin and straightened it with tweezers
    but had to send my mb back to Asus to get fixed. It was all Intel's
    fault and their dastardly packaging that caused the cpu to fly up into
    the air and land on the counter and get a bent pin - seriously.

    It does not beep , no sound, the light on the mobo works though and
    that is all. nothink on display. Keyboard doesnt flash.

    EDIT: Got "System failed due to CPU overclocking" This is false
    because i dont even get the chance to overclock as i cant get to the
    BIOS menu. There is simply nothing there.

    oh yeh these are the specs : AMD 64 3500+, AV8 Deluxe (WiFi) Rev 2.00,
    Chaintech Gf FX 5200 256mb, Audigy 2 ZS, 1x512mb RAM @ 333mhz, 400W
    thermaltake PSU. and liek 9x80mm case fans and i dont have a floppy
    (wasnt much point off having one before).

    On 7 Mar 2005 05:16:04 -0500,
    blak_stallion02@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (GlimmerMan) wrote:

    >my dad dropped my unused AMD 64 3500+ onto my other computer and bent
    >the pins. he did a custom job of re-aligning them with a screw driver
    >and putting into my mobo. I finished building my pc (about 5 hours
    >later) and started it..... it runs.... but with nothing. its just
    >sits there a black screen. Do ya reckon its his fault cause he will
    >have to buy me a new one if it is.

    Was your dad grounded (wrist strap) when he was trying to fix the bent
    pins?, if not it's possible he could of zapped the CPU with static
    electricity.

    I can't imagine bending pins on these new chips, I bent some pins on a
    old K6-233 recently and I about gave up before I finally fixed it!

    Good Luck,
    Ed

    GlimmerMan <blak_stallion02@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote:
    > my dad dropped my unused AMD 64 3500+ onto my other computer
    > and bent the pins. he did a custom job of re-aligning them
    > with a screw driver and putting into my mobo. I finished
    > building my pc (about 5 hours later) and started it..... it
    > runs.... but with nothing. its just sits there a black
    > screen. Do ya reckon its his fault cause he will have to
    > buy me a new one if it is.

    Yes, it _is_ his fault. First for bending the pins, then
    making things _much_ worse by using the wrong tool to
    straighten them.

    I use empty mechanical pencils of the right size (0.3 or
    0.5 mm) to straighten pins, one by one. Close enough to fit
    isn't close enough. They have to ).be straight to careful
    visual inspection (sight along rows).

    -- Robert

    Are you familiar with metal fatigue?
    Even if you did straighten all of them back to normal, chances are;
    they ain't in quite new condition... Which could block even one
    stream of data from successful being transfered. And the whole
    screwdriver bit: Sure it wasn't magnetic? A big hint on CPU problems
    is the BIOS beeping... make sure you internal computer speaker is
    connected properly and see if you get any beeps. Those are great for
    troubleshooting... if the CPU doesn't work... chances are, niether
    will the speaker... if do hear a beep... see if the mobo manual has a
    troubleshooting guide to interpret the beeps.

    In article <422c29e4$1_1@alt.athenanews.com>, GlimmerMan
    <blak_stallion02@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> writes
    >my dad dropped my unused AMD 64 3500+ onto my other computer and bent
    >the pins. he did a custom job of re-aligning them with a screw driver
    >and putting into my mobo. I finished building my pc (about 5 hours
    >later) and started it..... it runs.... but with nothing. its just
    >sits there a black screen. Do ya reckon its his fault cause he will
    >have to buy me a new one if it is.

    Have you since removed the CPU to see if any pins have broken?
    --
    Roger Hunt

    On 7 Mar 2005 05:16:04 -0500,
    blak_stallion02@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (GlimmerMan) put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >my dad dropped my unused AMD 64 3500+ onto my other computer and bent
    >the pins.

    Use A White Business Card To Check For Bent Pins.

    - Franc Zabkar

    the message from the green jack at the back was "system failed due to
    cpu overclocked" or something. I figure the cpu is not fried so my
    first worry is gone. Now i got some advice to update the bios by
    putting in a stick of ram in the 3rd slot from the left. Hopefully it
    will work.. wish me luck!

CPUs Hardware