Firewall for use with Cisco ADSL router

Last response: in Networking
July 15, 2004 2:30:39 PM

I'm looking for a bit of advice on buying a hardware firewall for a
small network with a VPN to our branch office.

We already have a couple of Cisco 837 ADSL routers, which for various
reasons (they're supported by our contracted warehouse, and have a VPN
that is administered by them as well, as well as a lot of custom
configuration) can't be changed, or reconfigured at the moment. What we
need is a firewall that will work with this router and support around 25
users, with decent VPN capability at a price that won't break the bank!

I've previously looked at the Symantec/VPN appliances, and the Firebox
series, but we only really want to spend around £300 or so. Ideally I'd
like something like the Draytek Vigor series as I have some experience
configuring them, but we obviously don't need the ADSL router part of
it, and they don't do a standalone firewall like some other suppliers.

Any tips on a box, and where to buy it would be greatly appreciated.
--
Alun Bell
Anonymous

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:30:39 +0100, Alun Bell <Alun@justwise.com>
wrote:

>I'm looking for a bit of advice on buying a hardware firewall for a
>small network with a VPN to our branch office.

Given that you are in the UK, I suggest you have a look at:

http://www.zyxel.co.uk/
Anonymous
July 19, 2004 3:01:29 PM

In message <65ddf059qtg27uivu3toedqissu8r4qed7@4ax.com>, shopping.
nowthor. com <nospam@shopping.nowthor.com> writes
>On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:30:39 +0100, Alun Bell <Alun@justwise.com>
>wrote:
>>
>>I'm looking for a bit of advice on buying a hardware firewall for a
>>small network with a VPN to our branch office.
>>

>Given that you are in the UK, I suggest you have a look at:
>
>http://www.zyxel.co.uk/

Thanks, I'll check it out.
--
Alun Bell