PapaSurf

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

Good. Some competion for Intels M.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:43:10 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com>
wrote:

>AMD makes power play with Turion | CNET News.com
>http://news.com.com/AMD+makes+power+play+with+Turion/2100-1044_3-5607043.html
>
>AMD seems to have released this 3 months ahead of schedule.

Looks like a nice chip, and FINALLY gives us an easy way to tell just
WHICH processor a notebook has (assuming the manufacturers stick to
AMD's nomenclature). No more guessing if they used the "Desktop
Replacement" Mobile AthlonXP, the "Mainstream" Mobile AthlonXP or the
"Thin and light" Mobile AthlonXP, all of which were labeled the same.

Of course, the big question is whether or not we'll actually see
laptops using this chip.

-------------
Tony Hill

Tony Hill wrote:
> Looks like a nice chip, and FINALLY gives us an easy way to tell just
> WHICH processor a notebook has (assuming the manufacturers stick to
> AMD's nomenclature). No more guessing if they used the "Desktop
> Replacement" Mobile AthlonXP, the "Mainstream" Mobile AthlonXP or the
> "Thin and light" Mobile AthlonXP, all of which were labeled the same.

Besides the just introduced ML and MT models, they said that later on
they might introduce MU, MV, MX, & MZ models, each one conforming to a
slightly different thermal envelope. I would assume that each higher
letter conforms to lower power consumption.

> Of course, the big question is whether or not we'll actually see
> laptops using this chip.

Maybe just in Japan, to avoid giving the JFTC any more ammo. :)

Yousuf Khan

Ed

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64 (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:43:10 -0500, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote:

>AMD makes power play with Turion | CNET News.com
>http://news.com.com/AMD+makes+power+play+with+Turion/2100-1044_3-5607043.html
>
>AMD seems to have released this 3 months ahead of schedule.
>
> Yousuf Khan

Maybe I'll get one this summer, was going to get a P-M but I think I'll
wait a bit longer, benchmarks @ 2Ghz look pretty good compared to P-M
2GHz, but the benchmarks are from AMD. ;P

off-topic: Was looking at a BestBuy flyer ad for AMD-XP note, they
always have that Upgrade for $80 or whatever next to the ad, for the
upgrade it was a Intel P-M, I thought that was funny!

Ed

TRENDING THREADS