Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

AMD Dual Core CPU in 2005?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2005 12:48:02 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

I read AMD will sell dual core cpus in 2005.
What's a dual core cpu? Is that like 2 cpu's in one package?

More about : amd dual core cpu 2005

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2005 9:06:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On 12 Mar 2005 09:48:02 -0800, wizzzer@hotmail.com wrote:

>I read AMD will sell dual core cpus in 2005.

Yup, as will Intel. First chips are expected in about 3 months time,
though I doubt that they'll be all that widely available until the
fall.

>What's a dual core cpu? Is that like 2 cpu's in one package?

Pretty much. It's actually a single chip with 2 separate CPUs on the
same piece of silicon. It's already quickly becoming the norm for the
high-end of things, eg IBM's Power4 and Power5 chips, Sun's Ultrasparc
IV and HP's PA-RISC 8800 are all dual-core. Intel's Itanium is
expected to go dual-core this year as well, and IBM is talking about
making a dual-core PowerPC 970MP chip for use in Apple's computers.

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla <underscore> 20 <at> yahoo <dot> ca
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 13, 2005 1:08:33 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Bitstring <1110649682.932668.36060@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, from
the wonderful person wizzzer@hotmail.com said
>I read AMD will sell dual core cpus in 2005.

Define 'sell' .. do you mean to HP, or Sun, or do you mean to me/you,
and did you mean 'a few units' or 'as many as the market wants'.

>What's a dual core cpu? Is that like 2 cpu's in one package?

Essentially yes. Even better, it just drops into an existing motherboard
(if you picked the right one) and runs (if you have XP Pro, or the right
flavour of *nix). Lots of interest here ...

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
SC recommends the use of Firefox; Get smart, or get assimilated.
Related resources
March 14, 2005 1:32:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

GSV Three Minds in a Can wrote:
> Bitstring <1110649682.932668.36060@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, from
> the wonderful person wizzzer@hotmail.com said
>
>> I read AMD will sell dual core cpus in 2005.
>
>
> Define 'sell' .. do you mean to HP, or Sun, or do you mean to me/you,
> and did you mean 'a few units' or 'as many as the market wants'.
>
>> What's a dual core cpu? Is that like 2 cpu's in one package?
>
>
> Essentially yes. Even better, it just drops into an existing motherboard
> (if you picked the right one)

any idea on which ones are the "right ones"...? i'm considering the Tyan
K8WE with a single cheapo opteron 244/246 to start with, and then later
upgrading to 2 speedy dual core cpus.

on linuxhardware.org tyan had this to say when asked the question on
dual core support:

--
yan) Dual core support on Tyan's Opteron platforms, is a feature we are
very much looking forward to providing to all of our current and future
customers. Unfortunately while its not possible at this time to directly
comment on whether support will be implemented on the S2885, S2895 or
other models from Tyan, customers should be pleased to know we are
working to ensure compatibility on platforms going forward.
--

doesn't sound very promising....
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2005 3:39:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:32:16 +1300, pixel <dontwant@nospam.com> wrote:

>any idea on which ones are the "right ones"...? i'm considering the Tyan
>K8WE with a single cheapo opteron 244/246 to start with, and then later
>upgrading to 2 speedy dual core cpus.
>
>on linuxhardware.org tyan had this to say when asked the question on
>dual core support:
>
>--
>yan) Dual core support on Tyan's Opteron platforms, is a feature we are
>very much looking forward to providing to all of our current and future
>customers. Unfortunately while its not possible at this time to directly
>comment on whether support will be implemented on the S2885, S2895 or
>other models from Tyan, customers should be pleased to know we are
>working to ensure compatibility on platforms going forward.

The statement from AMD is that any processor that is compatible with
the E0 stepping of Opteron, produced on a 90nm fab process (ie the
Opteron x52 chips or any other Opteron with SSE3 support) should be
able to support dual-core chips with only a BIOS update. Now the
slight caveat to this is that the board must be able to provide
sufficient current to power the dual-core chips, but they are only
slightly raising their current requirements for dual-core chips.

As for this Tyan K8WE board, Tyan does not yet have a list of
supported CPUs up on their site. However, that being said, the K8W
board that it replaced definitely is listed as being compatible with
the Opteron 252, so in all probability it will support dual-core
Opteron chips.

If you ask me, I'd say that it's 99% certain that the K8WE will work
with no trouble at all with dual-core Opterons (perhaps with a BIOS
update), though obviously guarantee support until the chips are on the
market (hence the above message).

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla <underscore> 20 <at> yahoo <dot> ca
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 14, 2005 7:24:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Gnu_Raiz <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote:
> I like how they put that, how HP has <clearly put engineering hours>, made
> me fall out of my chair laughing. Now if they said Tyan put many
> engineering hours into its development then I agree. Thats like saying
> Dell has engineered, and developed cutting edge systems. I just wonder how
> much HP systems reflect the Newisys white box system they used to show
> different companies.

The DL585 system has been completely designed by HP, not by Tyan or by
Newisys.

--
Bjørn-Ove Heimsund
Centre for Integrated Petroleum Research
University of Bergen, Norway
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2005 12:19:52 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Bjorn-Ove.Heimsund@uib.no writes:

> Gnu_Raiz <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote:
>> I like how they put that, how HP has <clearly put engineering hours>, made
>> me fall out of my chair laughing. Now if they said Tyan put many
>> engineering hours into its development then I agree. Thats like saying
>> Dell has engineered, and developed cutting edge systems. I just wonder how
>> much HP systems reflect the Newisys white box system they used to show
>> different companies.
>
> The DL585 system has been completely designed by HP, not by Tyan or by
> Newisys.

Looked like a very nice box, and it will take twice the memory (64GB)
of the equivalent Sun Opteron box (V40z).


Kai
--
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen <khp(at)harrekilde(dot)dk>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2005 5:36:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:
> Bjorn-Ove.Heimsund@uib.no writes:
>
>
>>Gnu_Raiz <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I like how they put that, how HP has <clearly put engineering hours>, made
>>>me fall out of my chair laughing. Now if they said Tyan put many
>>>engineering hours into its development then I agree. Thats like saying
>>>Dell has engineered, and developed cutting edge systems. I just wonder how
>>>much HP systems reflect the Newisys white box system they used to show
>>>different companies.
>>
>>The DL585 system has been completely designed by HP, not by Tyan or by
>>Newisys.
>
>
> Looked like a very nice box, and it will take twice the memory (64GB)
> of the equivalent Sun Opteron box (V40z).
>

Sure. But keep in mind that you can have up to 32 GB with
PC3200, but if you want more than that you have to settle for
PC2100 - just as if you were getting a Polywell, Boxx, Tyan, etc,
system.

>
> Kai
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
March 15, 2005 10:47:15 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Rob Stow <rob.stow.nospam@shaw.ca> writes:

> Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:
>> Bjorn-Ove.Heimsund@uib.no writes:
>>
>>>Gnu_Raiz <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>The DL585 system has been completely designed by HP, not by Tyan or by
>>>Newisys.
>> Looked like a very nice box, and it will take twice the memory (64GB)
>> of the equivalent Sun Opteron box (V40z).
>
> Sure. But keep in mind that you can have up to 32 GB with PC3200,
> but if you want more than that you have to settle for PC2100 - just as
> if you were getting a Polywell, Boxx, Tyan, etc, system.

I'm quite aware of that. But when a single (PrimeTime-SI) job can take
10-12GB of memory, 64GB of PC2100 can be much better than 32GB of
PC3200.

Regards,


Kai
--
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen <khp(at)harrekilde(dot)dk>
March 16, 2005 5:23:43 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 00:39:43 -0500, Tony Hill
<hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:32:16 +1300, pixel <dontwant@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>any idea on which ones are the "right ones"...? i'm considering the Tyan
>>K8WE with a single cheapo opteron 244/246 to start with, and then later
>>upgrading to 2 speedy dual core cpus.
>>
>>on linuxhardware.org tyan had this to say when asked the question on
>>dual core support:
>>
>>--
>>yan) Dual core support on Tyan's Opteron platforms, is a feature we are
>>very much looking forward to providing to all of our current and future
>>customers. Unfortunately while its not possible at this time to directly
>>comment on whether support will be implemented on the S2885, S2895 or
>>other models from Tyan, customers should be pleased to know we are
>>working to ensure compatibility on platforms going forward.
>
>The statement from AMD is that any processor that is compatible with
>the E0 stepping of Opteron, produced on a 90nm fab process (ie the
>Opteron x52 chips or any other Opteron with SSE3 support) should be
>able to support dual-core chips with only a BIOS update. Now the
>slight caveat to this is that the board must be able to provide
>sufficient current to power the dual-core chips, but they are only
>slightly raising their current requirements for dual-core chips.
>
>As for this Tyan K8WE board, Tyan does not yet have a list of
>supported CPUs up on their site. However, that being said, the K8W
>board that it replaced definitely is listed as being compatible with
>the Opteron 252, so in all probability it will support dual-core
>Opteron chips.
>
>If you ask me, I'd say that it's 99% certain that the K8WE will work
>with no trouble at all with dual-core Opterons (perhaps with a BIOS
>update), though obviously guarantee support until the chips are on the
>market (hence the above message).
>
>-------------
>Tony Hill
>hilla <underscore> 20 <at> yahoo <dot> ca

How about MSI? This is especially interesting issue for me because I
am typing this on a K8T Master2-FAR dual 940. Their latest BIOS
supports Opty250 (and even that only in beta), but no word about 252
(let alone above that) on MSI site yet...
:-(
!