Athlon versus Celeron

Which of the following configuration is more suitable for web-surfing?

Athlon XM-2800+ with FSB of 266MHz versus
Celeron M350 (1.3GHz) with FSB of 400MHz versus
Celeron 2.8GHz with FSB of 400MHz

Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about athlon versus celeron

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 03:47:07 GMT, "John Smith" <someone@microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >Which of the following configuration is more suitable for web-surfing?

    Given you're list of chips, I'm guessing that you're talking about a
    laptop here?

    >Athlon XM-2800+ with FSB of 266MHz versus

    Best performance, good price and good power consumption.

    >Celeron M350 (1.3GHz) with FSB of 400MHz versus

    Lower performance, highest price and best power consumption

    >Celeron 2.8GHz with FSB of 400MHz

    Lower performance, good price and by far the worst power consumption

    The Celeron 2.8GHz can very safely be ruled out, you don't want to
    touch one of those. The price should be roughly the same as the
    AthlonXP-M chip, but it's power consumption will be higher (ie shorter
    battery life) and performance will be much lower.

    My choice of the three would probably be the AthlonXP-M. The power
    consumption should be only slightly higher than the Celeron-M (a chip
    that is basically a Pentium-M with some of it's cache and power saving
    features disabled), but it's performance should also be higher and it
    should also be about $50-$100 cheaper. On the flip side though, it
    can be rather tough to find an AthlonXP-M notebook.

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    wrote:

    >Which of the following configuration is more suitable for web-surfing?
    >
    >Athlon XM-2800+ with FSB of 266MHz versus
    >Celeron M350 (1.3GHz) with FSB of 400MHz versus
    >Celeron 2.8GHz with FSB of 400MHz
    >
    >Thanks.

    For Web browsing anyone of them has more than enough power. Same goes
    to regular MS Office tasks. I would though pick the Athlon. In
    addition to what Tony Hill said, I should mention that Celerons tend
    to appear in top-branded laptops, while Athlons usually found in
    no-name ones (HPQ being a notable exception, but even they position
    Intel as a premium brand, and AMD as a cheaper alternative). The
    brands, while adding quite a bit to the price, are irrelevant these
    days - all laptops anyway are designed and built in Taiwan, or even
    China, of mainly Asian components. When you call support line, you
    will be greeted by someone with Indian accent no matter what a big
    brand name you bought. So why pay extra?

CPUs Hardware Celeron Configuration