Strange DIMM's..

I've got a pair of 168pin DIMMS that I found in my junkbox..

They look normal, except that the two alignment slots are offset ~1mm
further towards one end than normal DIMM's..

the alignment holes at the ends, and the pins all line up, it's only
the slots that are offset.

they both have 8 toshiba TC5118160AJ-70 chips, and 2 16244CTPV chips
(unknown manufacturer.. logo is a elongated S +lowercase dt)

a stick-on label on the DIMM's themselves that says Pointronics, and a
silkscreened 105218 A are the only markings.

Any clue what these are, and what they are for? They don't seem to fit
into anything that I can find..

Bob Vaughan | techie@{w6yx|tantivy}.stanford.edu | kc6sxc@w6yx.ampr.org
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --

In article <d28mf8$6u5$1@news.Stanford.EDU>,
techie@tantivy.stanford.edu says...
> I've got a pair of 168pin DIMMS that I found in my junkbox..
>
> They look normal, except that the two alignment slots are offset ~1mm
> further towards one end than normal DIMM's..
>
> the alignment holes at the ends, and the pins all line up, it's only
> the slots that are offset.
>
> they both have 8 toshiba TC5118160AJ-70 chips, and 2 16244CTPV chips
> (unknown manufacturer.. logo is a elongated S +lowercase dt)
>
> a stick-on label on the DIMM's themselves that says Pointronics, and a
> silkscreened 105218 A are the only markings.
>
> Any clue what these are, and what they are for? They don't seem to fit
> into anything that I can find..

Different voltages. See:

http://www.e-tec.ch/v2/IC_Products/IC_DR1-v84_030611.pdf

--
Keith

(Bob Vaughan) wrote:

> I've got a pair of 168pin DIMMS that I found in my junkbox..
>
> They look normal, except that the two alignment slots are offset ~1mm
> further towards one end than normal DIMM's..
>
> the alignment holes at the ends, and the pins all line up, it's only
> the slots that are offset.
>
> they both have 8 toshiba TC5118160AJ-70 chips, and 2 16244CTPV chips
> (unknown manufacturer.. logo is a elongated S +lowercase dt)
>
> a stick-on label on the DIMM's themselves that says Pointronics, and a
> silkscreened 105218 A are the only markings.
>
> Any clue what these are, and what they are for? They don't seem to fit
> into anything that I can find..

The change in alignment for one of the slots designates 5V vs 3.3V. I
think the other slot position indicates FPM/EDO vs. SDRAM, but i am less
certain about the latter.

The original Macintosh PCI models used 5V FPM (or EDO) buffered (the 16244
chip) DIMMs. I think some IBM RISC machines used them as well.

--
A friend will help you move. A real friend will help you move a body.

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 10:32:08 +0000 (UTC), techie@tantivy.stanford.edu
(Bob Vaughan) put finger to keyboard and composed:

>I've got a pair of 168pin DIMMS that I found in my junkbox..
>
>They look normal, except that the two alignment slots are offset ~1mm
>further towards one end than normal DIMM's..
>
>the alignment holes at the ends, and the pins all line up, it's only
>the slots that are offset.
>
>they both have 8 toshiba TC5118160AJ-70 chips, and 2 16244CTPV chips
>(unknown manufacturer.. logo is a elongated S +lowercase dt)

Integrated Device Technology
http://www.idt.com/

The IDT54/74FCT16244T/AT/CT is a "FAST CMOS 16-BIT BUFFER/LINE
DRIVER".

>a stick-on label on the DIMM's themselves that says Pointronics, and a
>silkscreened 105218 A are the only markings.
>
>Any clue what these are, and what they are for? They don't seem to fit
>into anything that I can find..

- Franc Zabkar

In article <trag-2803050952560001@206-224-83-114-dialup.io.com>,
Jeff Walther <trag@io.com> wrote:
>In article <d28mf8$6u5$1@news.Stanford.EDU>, techie@tantivy.stanford.edu
>(Bob Vaughan) wrote:
>
>> I've got a pair of 168pin DIMMS that I found in my junkbox..
>>
>> They look normal, except that the two alignment slots are offset ~1mm
>> further towards one end than normal DIMM's..
>>
>> the alignment holes at the ends, and the pins all line up, it's only
>> the slots that are offset.
>>
>> they both have 8 toshiba TC5118160AJ-70 chips, and 2 16244CTPV chips
>> (unknown manufacturer.. logo is a elongated S +lowercase dt)
>>
>> a stick-on label on the DIMM's themselves that says Pointronics, and a
>> silkscreened 105218 A are the only markings.
>>
>> Any clue what these are, and what they are for? They don't seem to fit
>> into anything that I can find..
>
>The change in alignment for one of the slots designates 5V vs 3.3V. I
>think the other slot position indicates FPM/EDO vs. SDRAM, but i am less
>certain about the latter.
>
>The original Macintosh PCI models used 5V FPM (or EDO) buffered (the 16244
>chip) DIMMs. I think some IBM RISC machines used them as well.

Ok.. that helps.. I now have an idea where they came from...

Thanks for all the responses..