Computer wont boot after installing heat sinkq

Hey all,
I recently purchased a Thermaltake Pipe 101 cl-p0006 heat sink with a
Thermaltake 90mm silent cat a2013 fan. I installed them on a P4 Intel
board (model #BOXD865PERLL). Now the computer will not boot. The new
heat sink fan works as do all the other fans on the board as well as
all the lights on the board. I can even hear the hard drive start, but
it does not boot.
Does anyone know what I did wrong? What can I do to fix this?

It came with a tube of thermal compound. I put some on. It seemed
like too much so i wiped some off. But I definitely did add the
thermal compound sent with the heat sink.

Yousuf Khan wrote:
> rodcamus@msn.com wrote:
> > Hey all,
> > I recently purchased a Thermaltake Pipe 101 cl-p0006 heat sink with
> > Thermaltake 90mm silent cat a2013 fan. I installed them on a P4
Intel
> > board (model #BOXD865PERLL). Now the computer will not boot. The
new
> > heat sink fan works as do all the other fans on the board as well
as
> > all the lights on the board. I can even hear the hard drive start,
but
> > it does not boot.
> > Does anyone know what I did wrong? What can I do to fix this?
> >

> First of all, did the new heat sink come with its own thermal
compound
> material stuck to the bottom of it? If not, then did you apply your
own
> thermal compound material between the heatsink bottom and the CPU
top?

> Yousuf Khan

Well, the heat sink feels nice and tight. Doesn't wiggle at all. When
I booted the machine it feels like it gets pretty warm. But Windows
still does not boot. Everything turns on, including the hard drive
which I hear spinning, but there is no beep and Windows never boots.
How can I tell if there is a bent CPU pin? Is this something I can
bend back?

Well, i don't know how to tell if it has gone "bare die." Is there a
way to tell?
Could the failure to boot be a fried chip? There doesnt appear to be
any damage on inspection. Further, everything on the mobo starts (all
lights/fans/etc.) Even the hard drive appears to start, just doesnt
boot.

rodcamus@msn.com wrote:
> Hey all,
> I recently purchased a Thermaltake Pipe 101 cl-p0006 heat sink with a
> Thermaltake 90mm silent cat a2013 fan. I installed them on a P4 Intel
> board (model #BOXD865PERLL). Now the computer will not boot. The new
> heat sink fan works as do all the other fans on the board as well as
> all the lights on the board. I can even hear the hard drive start, but
> it does not boot.
> Does anyone know what I did wrong? What can I do to fix this?

First of all, did the new heat sink come with its own thermal compound
material stuck to the bottom of it? If not, then did you apply your own
thermal compound material between the heatsink bottom and the CPU top?

Yousuf Khan

Thanks for your helo Robert. I will be checking this out when I get
home from work today. Thanks!

"Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@ezrs.com> wrote in message
> rodcamus@msn.com wrote:
> > Hey all,
> > I recently purchased a Thermaltake Pipe 101 cl-p0006 heat sink
with a
> > Thermaltake 90mm silent cat a2013 fan. I installed them on a P4
Intel
> > board (model #BOXD865PERLL). Now the computer will not boot. The
new
> > heat sink fan works as do all the other fans on the board as well
as
> > all the lights on the board. I can even hear the hard drive
start, but
> > it does not boot.
> > Does anyone know what I did wrong? What can I do to fix this?
> >

> First of all, did the new heat sink come with its own thermal
compound
> material stuck to the bottom of it? If not, then did you apply your
own
> thermal compound material between the heatsink bottom and the CPU
top?

Assume the heat sink is indeed loosely coupled to the CPU. First, how
fast does the CPU heat up when booting? Second, does not the P4 have
thermal throttling? I think something else - a bent CPU pin, for
instance - may be going on here.

rodcamus@msn.com wrote:
> I recently purchased a Thermaltake Pipe 101 cl-p0006
> heat sink with a Thermaltake 90mm silent cat a2013 fan.
> I installed them on a P4 Intel board (model #BOXD865PERLL).
> Now the computer will not boot. The new heat sink fan works
> as do all the other fans on the board as well as all the
> lights on the board. I can even hear the hard drive start,
> but it does not boot. Does anyone know what I did wrong?

Just just replaced the HSF with the TT pipe? and
a computer that previously was fine won't even beep?

You must have hit something accidentally, or perhaps
damaged the CPU/mobo in removing the old HSF.

Lack-of-grease shouldn't prevent a cold computer from at least
beeping and starting BIOS. The P4 heatslug has some heat
capacity. The P4 hasn't gone "bare die" (AMD style), has it?

-- Robert

Don't worry about whether or not your processor is "bare die", it
isn't. All that refers to is whether or not processor chip itself is
sitting on its packaging uncovered. In a bare die, you can actually see
the processor itself (from it's bottom, so you won't actually see any
of that city-scape circuit patterns which are on the top). The other
type of packaging simply covers up the chip underneath a metal plate
cover. The thinking behind each type of packaging is a compromise
between heat dissipation rates and physical protection. A bare die
should dissipate its heat faster, but it could be easier to break.

That's all Robert was trying to determine, whether a P4 is a bare-die
packaging, and if so, did you break it? But I've never seen any
generation of P4 with a bare-die.

Yousuf Khan

Really the only way you could've bent any of its pins is if you pulled
the processor out of its socket when you took the heat sink off.
There's usually no reason to remove the processor when pulling the
heatsink.

Yousuf Khan

rodcamus@msn.com wrote:
> Well, i don't know how to tell if it has gone "bare die."
> Is there a way to tell?

Sure. Is the top a shiny piece of metal an inch or more
square? That's the heatslug. Or is it a dark chip about a
centimeter square? That's a chipback/bare die.

> Could the failure to boot be a fried chip?

Certainly! The question is how a working chip could have gotten
fried without being removed from it's socket. An AMD could
be overheated, but AFAIK P4's have thermal throttling. And even
without, should have worked once long enough to beep. Most likely,
you dislodged some card, memory or connector.

> There doesnt appear to be any damage on inspection.

You have to know what to look for.

> Further, everything on the mobo starts (all lights/fans/etc.)
> Even the hard drive appears to start, just doesnt boot.

This is mostly meaningless. The HD boots by itself when
it's controller does an IPL from a protected track. The mobo
fans/LEDs are hardwired. The keyboard LEDs are _much_ more
interesting, because they're flashed at boot under CPU control.
Ditto for the beeps.

-- Robert

mygarbage2000

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002

On 30 Mar 2005 05:47:37 -0800, rodcamus@msn.com wrote:

>Hey all,
>I recently purchased a Thermaltake Pipe 101 cl-p0006 heat sink with a
>Thermaltake 90mm silent cat a2013 fan. I installed them on a P4 Intel
>board (model #BOXD865PERLL). Now the computer will not boot. The new
>heat sink fan works as do all the other fans on the board as well as
>all the lights on the board. I can even hear the hard drive start, but
>it does not boot.
>Does anyone know what I did wrong? What can I do to fix this?

Lots of things could go wrong. You could've fried the CPU or the
board or both with static electricity (hint: is your floor carpeted?
if yes, it's a likely culprit). You could've scratched the board with
a screwdriver, if you used one for heatsink removal/installation - the
traces are sooo thin and easy to cut. You could've applied too much
force to the board so one of the traces in one of the layers broke
when it flexed. But before you do something desperate like trashing
the board and ordering a new one, do the usual due diligence - try to
re-seat the memory, try to boot in minimal config (video, one bank of
known good RAM, and nothing else), reset the BIOS with the jumper (if
this option exist) - the normal stuff, you know. And one more thing
that could go wrong - power supply. Try your board with a known good
PS, or the PS with known good board.
Good luck.