memory problems

I have a K8ns pro gigabyte mothearboard and right now i am running 2 DDR
2700 Dimms of 256mb and one of DDr3200 at 511mb. Orginally I had 2 dticks of
DDR 3200 512 and it ran fine but suddently it stopped working freezing up
ect. Now I got some new Ram in the mail and putting it with the DDR 3200 it
does the samething. What is going on? I take the ram out and put it by it
self and it runs fine moment I put all 3 DDR 3200's together or just 2 of
them it freezes up computer is most stable with the DDR 2700 :( I updated
the bios and everyhting so I dunno what to do anymore
6 answers Last reply
More about memory problems

    "Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote in message
    > I have a K8ns pro gigabyte mothearboard and right now i am running 2 DDR
    > 2700 Dimms of 256mb and one of DDr3200 at 511mb. Orginally I had 2 dticks
    of
    > DDR 3200 512 and it ran fine but suddently it stopped working freezing up
    > ect. Now I got some new Ram in the mail and putting it with the DDR 3200
    it
    > does the samething. What is going on? I take the ram out and put it by it
    > self and it runs fine moment I put all 3 DDR 3200's together or just 2 of
    > them it freezes up computer is most stable with the DDR 2700 :( I updated
    > the bios and everyhting so I dunno what to do anymore

    I don't quite follow... You say you have 2x 2700s now, but started with 2x
    3200s. So what did you get in the mail? In any case, try running with each
    stick individually to determine if you've got a bad one.

    Been thier done that all work fine in another motherboard in this baord for
    some reason the 2 2700's and the 1 3200 work fine but 2 3200's wont work at
    all and I've tried about 4 diffrnt brands: Munchin crucial corsair and a
    generic and all the memory runs fine in my older xp nforce 2 motherboard.
    Heck I can build a fort with DDR 3200 512mb chips right now lol. I guess I
    should just go buy 1 gig of DDR 3200. but I will just wait now gonna get my
    nforce 4 board in a couple of months but just makes me mad. It used to work
    fine with 2 sticks of crucial DDR 3200 then it stopped for some reason. I
    thoguht it was bad memory but indivually in the motherboard they work fine.
    Together any DDR 3200 512mb together dont work at all anymore :( I tired
    clearing the CMOS I tired everything ugggg

    Anthony
    "cffrost" <x@y.z> wrote in message
    > "Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> I have a K8ns pro gigabyte mothearboard and right now i am running 2 DDR
    >> 2700 Dimms of 256mb and one of DDr3200 at 511mb. Orginally I had 2 dticks
    > of
    >> DDR 3200 512 and it ran fine but suddently it stopped working freezing up
    >> ect. Now I got some new Ram in the mail and putting it with the DDR 3200
    > it
    >> does the samething. What is going on? I take the ram out and put it by it
    >> self and it runs fine moment I put all 3 DDR 3200's together or just 2 of
    >> them it freezes up computer is most stable with the DDR 2700 :( I updated
    >> the bios and everyhting so I dunno what to do anymore
    >
    > I don't quite follow... You say you have 2x 2700s now, but started with 2x
    > 3200s. So what did you get in the mail? In any case, try running with each
    > stick individually to determine if you've got a bad one.

    Mate I have the exact same problem ... has been working fine for 2
    months ... just spent the weekend Reformatting ... and would always
    crash random ... with 2 sticks of PC3200 Kingmax 512mb ... found when
    I remove 1 stick works flawlessly put both sticks in CRASH !!! have
    tested both sticks and both are perfect ... and tried all 3 different
    slots ... but no no avail :(

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:15:22 +0000, Abizmal wrote:

    > Mate I have the exact same problem ... has been working fine for 2
    > months ... just spent the weekend Reformatting ... and would always
    > crash random ... with 2 sticks of PC3200 Kingmax 512mb ... found when
    > I remove 1 stick works flawlessly put both sticks in CRASH !!! have
    > tested both sticks and both are perfect ... and tried all 3 different
    > slots ... but no no avail :(

    George MacD has warned of this problem since *forever*. Likely, your
    DIMMs are dual-rank, so your putting four ranks on the bus. Not good.

    --
    Keith

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:15:31 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

    >On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:15:22 +0000, Abizmal wrote:
    >
    >> Mate I have the exact same problem ... has been working fine for 2
    >> months ... just spent the weekend Reformatting ... and would always
    >> crash random ... with 2 sticks of PC3200 Kingmax 512mb ... found when
    >> I remove 1 stick works flawlessly put both sticks in CRASH !!! have
    >> tested both sticks and both are perfect ... and tried all 3 different
    >> slots ... but no no avail :(
    >
    >George MacD has warned of this problem since *forever*. Likely, your
    >DIMMs are dual-rank, so your putting four ranks on the bus. Not good.

    Hmm, "all 3 different slots" would indicate s754(?) and I believe 4 ranks
    should be OK there (slots 1&2 only) without dropping to 333MHz though it's
    obviously pushing the limit so memory quality has to be impeccable . I've
    found that the Kingmax DIMMs I've used won't run at 1T command rate though
    - they passed memtest86+ for me at 1T but WinXP install was glitchy;
    dropping to 2T let the install proceed and then when I tried at 1T again,
    WinXP got started OK but Prime95 fell over in seconds. I tried slacking
    off the timings to keep 1T but no go. The answer is err, Crucial:-) and
    keep rank count down.

    BTW did you get my response on your USB prob? I know you've not been able
    to get in here too often the past week or so. Just interested to hear if
    it helped.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 03:38:33 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

    > On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:15:31 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 01:15:22 +0000, Abizmal wrote:
    >>
    >>> Mate I have the exact same problem ... has been working fine for 2
    >>> months ... just spent the weekend Reformatting ... and would always
    >>> crash random ... with 2 sticks of PC3200 Kingmax 512mb ... found when
    >>> I remove 1 stick works flawlessly put both sticks in CRASH !!! have
    >>> tested both sticks and both are perfect ... and tried all 3 different
    >>> slots ... but no no avail :(
    >>
    >>George MacD has warned of this problem since *forever*. Likely, your
    >>DIMMs are dual-rank, so your putting four ranks on the bus. Not good.
    >
    > Hmm, "all 3 different slots" would indicate s754(?) and I believe 4 ranks
    > should be OK there (slots 1&2 only) without dropping to 333MHz though it's
    > obviously pushing the limit so memory quality has to be impeccable . I've
    > found that the Kingmax DIMMs I've used won't run at 1T command rate though
    > - they passed memtest86+ for me at 1T but WinXP install was glitchy;
    > dropping to 2T let the install proceed and then when I tried at 1T again,
    > WinXP got started OK but Prime95 fell over in seconds. I tried slacking
    > off the timings to keep 1T but no go. The answer is err, Crucial:-) and
    > keep rank count down.

    Ok, yer the boss.

    > BTW did you get my response on your USB prob? I know you've not been able
    > to get in here too often the past week or so. Just interested to hear if
    > it helped.

    I read it, but haven't tried anything yet (we got back late Saturday night
    and I've been road-killed - bug-eyed and the whole bit). It didn't seem
    to be my problem though. I'll have to go back and re-read.

    --
    Keith

CPUs DDR Memory