Further to Intel stifling competition

Intel attacked for stifling competition - Sunday Times - Times Online
"The risk for Intel is that this could develop into a broader attack
similar to that faced by Microsoft."
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-1532658,00.html

This article basically confirms what we've been talking about Intel's
choices in this case, they are all rock'and'a'hardplace decisions:
accepting the decision, or fighting the decision and possibily losing.
Further down the line, there is the looming possibility of Intel losing
its 90% marketshares completely.

Yousuf Khan

Ed

On 31 Mar 2005 07:24:06 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

>Intel attacked for stifling competition - Sunday Times - Times Online
>"The risk for Intel is that this could develop into a broader attack
>similar to that faced by Microsoft."
>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2095-1532658,00.html
>
>This article basically confirms what we've been talking about Intel's
>choices in this case, they are all rock'and'a'hardplace decisions:
>accepting the decision, or fighting the decision and possibily losing.
>Further down the line, there is the looming possibility of Intel losing
>its 90% marketshares completely.
>
> Yousuf Khan

AMD only has one CPU FAB right?, even if was at 100% capacity and AMD
sold every chip they cold possibly make, how much share could AMD gain
and how much would Intel loose?

Ed

Ed wrote:
> AMD only has one CPU FAB right?, even if was at 100% capacity and AMD
> sold every chip they cold possibly make, how much share could AMD
gain
> and how much would Intel loose?

Their current Fab 30 at 90nm with 200mm wafers is capable of 30-40
million dies a year. They recently said that their upcoming Fab 36 at
65nm with 300mm wafers should give them an _incremental_ 100 million
dies a year capacity, perhaps 130-140 million chips a year altogether.
Then they also have an agreement with Chartered to use their 90nm/300mm
FAB, which would give them a percentage of Chartered's let's say 60
million die capacity.

Yousuf Khan

Grumble wrote:
> YKhan wrote:
>
> > Further down the line, there is the looming possibility of Intel
> > losing its 90% marketshares completely.
>
> I thought AMD had ~20% market share, and was aiming for 30?

In unit shares, yes. In dollar shares, it's more like 90:10. Intel been
controlling competition to keep AMD stuck below 10% in the most
lucrative market segments, such as servers and laptops.

Yousuf Khan

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:38:29 +0200, Grumble <devnull@kma.eu.org> wrote:

>YKhan wrote:
>
>> Further down the line, there is the looming possibility of Intel
>> losing its 90% marketshares completely.
>
>I thought AMD had ~20% market share, and was aiming for 30?

Intel has nearly 90 percent of the Japanese market for microprocessors.
AMDs market share declined from 25 percent in 2002 to 10 percent at the
end of 2004.

Nothing is going to change.... just more smoke and mirrors.

Ed