p5-133 drive capacity

Whilst looking for a second drive to augment my full 2GB main drive, I found
the same model referred to as having 6.4GB capacity. Can someone explain if
I can get at this extra space, bearing in mind that Windows is on it?

One other thing to keep in mind should you choose to add or replace a drive in
this computer: The motherboard BIOS limits the maximum capacity of any IDE/ATA
hard drive to 8.4GB. Anything above 8.4GB requires help, either via a hard disk
controller card (highly preferable) or software overlay... Ben Myers

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:22:57 +0100, "Mark Dunn" <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Whilst looking for a second drive to augment my full 2GB main drive, I found
>the same model referred to as having 6.4GB capacity. Can someone explain if
>I can get at this extra space, bearing in mind that Windows is on it?

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:22:57 +0100, "Mark Dunn"
<markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Whilst looking for a second drive to augment my full 2GB main drive, I found
>the same model referred to as having 6.4GB capacity. Can someone explain if
>I can get at this extra space, bearing in mind that Windows is on it?

Provided you have Windows 98 or later on it - yes you can.

You need to convert your drive to FAT32, then you can create a second
partition (D:) drive with the remaining 4.4GB on it.

How to convert to FAT32 as well as all the caveats are explained at:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/98/all/reskit/en-us/part2/wrkc10.mspx

Albert Alcoceba
<><
alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au
http://aussietrains.fotopic.net/
Remove REMOVE

Many thanks. I will have a look and decide wether or not I feel brave enough
to tackle this. Will I need to reinstall Win98? Thanks in advance.
Albert Alcoceba <alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au> wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:22:57 +0100, "Mark Dunn"
> <markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Whilst looking for a second drive to augment my full 2GB main drive, I
found
> >the same model referred to as having 6.4GB capacity. Can someone explain
if
> >I can get at this extra space, bearing in mind that Windows is on it?
>
> Provided you have Windows 98 or later on it - yes you can.
>
> You need to convert your drive to FAT32, then you can create a second
> partition (D:) drive with the remaining 4.4GB on it.
>
> How to convert to FAT32 as well as all the caveats are explained at:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/98/all/reskit/en-us
/part2/wrkc10.mspx

> Albert Alcoceba
> <><
> alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au
> http://aussietrains.fotopic.net/
> Remove REMOVE

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:05:09 +0100, "Mark Dunn"
<markrhdunn@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Many thanks. I will have a look and decide wether or not I feel brave enough
>to tackle this. Will I need to reinstall Win98? Thanks in advance.
>Albert Alcoceba <alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au> wrote in message

No you don't need to reinstall win98.

Albert Alcoceba
<><
alberta@REMOVE.ihug.com.au
http://aussietrains.fotopic.net/
Remove REMOVE

Thanks again. Now, anybody want to buy a 3rd hand 6.4GB drive?