After installing new hard drive Windows won't boot

pb7280

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Ok, well I should've expected this, but I just upgraded from 3 x 500GB in RAID0 to a single 2TB hard drive, and now I can't boot into Windows. I installed Windows on the new hard drive while in the old hard drive's OS, by selecting the new hard drive as my install location. I then booted fine into the new Windows and copied over all my files and such. Once I took out the old hard drives, I get an error while booting that says something like "Please restart and select proper boot device, or insert boot media into the selected device and press any key." I'm guessing this has something to do with the boot media for both operating system installations was on the old hard drive, and somehow there isn't anything to make the computer boot from the new one (even though Windows is definitely installed on it). My question is how can I fix this problem, preferably without completely reinstalling windows, and right now all I have to boot from is a Windows 7 Home Premium disc, but I have Professional edition installed on it.

Thanks for any help

Jonmor68

Distinguished
"I'm guessing this has something to do with the boot media for both operating system installations was on the old hard drive, and somehow there isn't anything to make the computer boot from the new one"
100% correct guess.

" right now all I have to boot from is a Windows 7 Home Premium disc,"
Use it boot from and do a repair install. I won't repeat what's already out there and would require several pages of text, so follow the link.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/20864-mbr-restore-windows-7-master-boot-record.html

"but I have Professional edition installed on it." That's not relavent, but curious, as it implies you installed Profesional on the W7 Home instalation disk.

cklaubur

Distinguished
Sounds like the boot loader for your new Windows installation was on the old drive.

Try booting the computer from a Windows install disc and performing a boot repair. If that doesn't work, you may have to either reinstall Windows, without the old drive connected, or just run the computer with the old drive connected.

Casey

assass3n1

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Put the old hd back in, then load windows 7 from it. next goto msconfig.exe. under boot tab select your os thats on your new drive and make it your default OS then click apply. Now try to remove the old drive and see if the new one will boot. I assume you know to unplug the power and press the power button before removing anything from your case. Good luck friend.

Cobrita

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013

I have a similar problem to the one you helped out with except I have already wiped everything on the old drive. I have a new version of windows on the new drive, however, and was wondering if I can get more details on how to conduct a boot repair to see if it works. Thanks.