Mem shows less then installed memory?

Hello, latly my computer seems to have slowed down alot. I ran the MEM
command from the dos command prompt in Win XP Home and mem displays the
following information:
655360 bytes total conventional memery
655360 bytes available to MS-DOS
633296 bytes largest executable program size

1048576 bytes total contiguous extended memery
0 bytes available contiguous extended memery
941056 bytes available XMS memery
MS-DOS resident in High Memery Area

I have a 1 gig PC2700 ddr ram chip on the motherboard. The bios also shows
524288 memory installed. Bad mem chip??
greyscale
5 answers Last reply
More about shows installed memory

    On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 14:19:14 -0400, "JohnD" <jhd62@optonline.net> wrote:

    >Hello, latly my computer seems to have slowed down alot. I ran the MEM
    >command from the dos command prompt in Win XP Home and mem displays the
    >following information:
    >655360 bytes total conventional memery
    >655360 bytes available to MS-DOS
    >633296 bytes largest executable program size
    >
    >1048576 bytes total contiguous extended memery
    > 0 bytes available contiguous extended memery
    >941056 bytes available XMS memery
    >MS-DOS resident in High Memery Area

    This is normal.

    >I have a 1 gig PC2700 ddr ram chip on the motherboard. The bios also shows
    >524288 memory installed. Bad mem chip??
    > greyscale

    Which system/mbrd? Assuming you have 16 chips on the DIMM in a dual rank
    config, does the chipset support 512Mbit memory chips? Other than that it
    could be a compatibility issue with the mbrd/DIMM but you need to give more
    details.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

    wrote:

    >Hello, latly my computer seems to have slowed down alot. I ran the MEM
    >command from the dos command prompt in Win XP Home and mem displays the
    >following information:
    >655360 bytes total conventional memery
    >655360 bytes available to MS-DOS
    >633296 bytes largest executable program size
    >
    >1048576 bytes total contiguous extended memery
    > 0 bytes available contiguous extended memery
    >941056 bytes available XMS memery
    >MS-DOS resident in High Memery Area

    "MEM" is a 16-bit DOS command. When you type "MEM" at a command prompt
    (i.e., an instance of the cmd.exe 32-bit command line processor),
    Windows XP will load the DOS program COMMAND.COM in a DOS virtual
    machine and run the DOS command. Since it is running in a 16-bit
    Virtual Machine, it doesn't reflect the physical RAM installed and
    available in Windows in the 32-bit Protected Mode. That is why MEM is
    showing 640 KB of conventional memory and roughly 1 MB each of EMS and
    XMS memory.

    >I have a 1 gig PC2700 ddr ram chip on the motherboard. The bios also shows
    >524288 memory installed. Bad mem chip??

    If the BIOS doesn't show the correct amount of installed RAM, and
    Windows doesn't show the correct amount of installed RAM (Control
    Panel -> System), then something is wrong. Perhaps a defective or
    incompatible DIMM or other hardware malfunction. But "MEM" will not
    display correctly the amount of installed memory.

    - -
    Gary L.
    Reply to the newsgroup only

    That is a memory compatibility problem.

    If you are using single sided DDR your motherboard probably does not
    recognize half of the RAM because the size is denser [more chips]on one
    side. Try using double sided DDR and see if it works or vice versa.

    Or, instead of using 2700, try using 2100. I have been there, done that
    many times with all kinds of memory modules and the reporting of half
    the installed amount of RAM always points to RAM incompatibility.

    JohnD wrote:
    > Hello, latly my computer seems to have slowed down alot. I ran the MEM
    > command from the dos command prompt in Win XP Home and mem displays the
    > following information:
    > 655360 bytes total conventional memery
    > 655360 bytes available to MS-DOS
    > 633296 bytes largest executable program size
    >
    > 1048576 bytes total contiguous extended memery
    > 0 bytes available contiguous extended memery
    > 941056 bytes available XMS memery
    > MS-DOS resident in High Memery Area
    >

    > I have a 1 gig PC2700 ddr ram chip on the motherboard. The bios also shows
    > 524288 memory installed. Bad mem chip??
    > greyscale

    Don't use the DOS utility it isn't showing reality. Use the System
    control panel app.

    Yousuf Khan

    On Sun, 3 Apr 2005 14:19:14 -0400, "JohnD" <jhd62@optonline.net> put
    finger to keyboard and composed:

    >Hello, latly my computer seems to have slowed down alot. I ran the MEM
    >command from the dos command prompt in Win XP Home and mem displays the
    >following information:
    >655360 bytes total conventional memery
    >655360 bytes available to MS-DOS
    >633296 bytes largest executable program size
    >
    >1048576 bytes total contiguous extended memery

    > 0 bytes available contiguous extended memery
    >941056 bytes available XMS memery

    >MS-DOS resident in High Memery Area

    All is OK, except for your spelling:

    http://www.computerhope.com/memhlp.htm#04