Athlon64 3000+ pls help

Does anyone knows what is the optimal temperature for the Athlon64
3000+?

I have a ASUS K8N motherboard and my cpu is at about 47 degrees C in
desktop but in games (such as Warcraft III) the temperature goes up
to 68 degrees.

What should I do?

DARRO wrote:
> Does anyone knows what is the optimal temperature for the Athlon64
> 3000+?
>
> I have a ASUS K8N motherboard and my cpu is at about 47 degrees C in
> desktop but in games (such as Warcraft III) the temperature goes up
> to 68 degrees.
>
> What should I do?

Sounds about right. My Athlon XP usually hovers around 49C and goes upto
59C in heavy use. 95C was the thermal limit of XP's at one time, so I'd
say 64's are probably similar, especially the older 130nm A64's. The
newer 90nm A64's should probably be 5-10C cooler at the same speed.

The source of instability in programs isn't caused by the temperature of
the processor, but by the temperature of the case. Monitor the case temp
and if it goes above 40C, then you might start experiencing problems.

Yousuf Khan

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 11:02:11 +0000, bacalou@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
(DARRO) wrote:

>Does anyone knows what is the optimal temperature for the Athlon64
>3000+?

It depends on what CPU core you have - 90nm Winchester or 130nm Newcastle
or Clawhammer. I've found the 90nms showing about mid-50s and 130nms about
mid-60s on high load.

>I have a ASUS K8N motherboard and my cpu is at about 47 degrees C in
>desktop but in games (such as Warcraft III) the temperature goes up
>to 68 degrees.
>
>What should I do?

Start by making sure that you have a recent/latest BIOS and version of the
software which reports the temp. How does that temp relate to the "system
temp" - about 30C higher? Personally I don't put much faith in the temp
numbers reported by hardware monitors... other than as a comparison against
previous results. IOW if you start seeing higher numbers than previously,
you may have a problem with dirt/dust and it's time for a clean-up... or a
fan is going bad.

If everything is working OK I wouldn't worry too much but do check your
fans and general ventialtion.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

Not good. My A64 2800+ is overclocked to 2.1ghz and voltage is 1.65v.It
runs at 49C. A64's run much cooler than XP's.
Now,make sure you're getting the correct temp. Get the latest BIOS for you
motherboard.The original BIOS on my motherboard showed a negative number for
CPU temp.
Then,if temps are still high,reseat your CPU with new themal paste. Your
heatsink may have been installed backwards.It happens.