SDRAM Question - Mixing Speeds

I have a Dell system that has multiple memory slots. Currently, there
is only one slot filled which has 256MB DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHZ. I have
another SDRAM modulte that is 256MB SDRAM PC133. I don't know if it
is DDR or not. My basic question is how much of a performance hit I
will take by mixing the memory.

TIA -
Josh

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002

You can't mix them, they're like chalk and cheese, completely different.

"joshfeingold" <joshfeingold@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell system that has multiple memory slots. Currently, there
> is only one slot filled which has 256MB DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHZ. I have
> another SDRAM modulte that is 256MB SDRAM PC133. I don't know if it
> is DDR or not. My basic question is how much of a performance hit I
> will take by mixing the memory.
>
> TIA -
> Josh

On 6 Apr 2005 08:40:16 -0700, "joshfeingold"
<joshfeingold@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a Dell system that has multiple memory slots. Currently, there
>is only one slot filled which has 256MB DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHZ. I have
>another SDRAM modulte that is 256MB SDRAM PC133. I don't know if it
>is DDR or not. My basic question is how much of a performance hit I
>will take by mixing the memory.

You'll take a BIG performance hit... like a 100% performance hit.
Given that you would need to use a hammer to get the chips to fit into
the incompatible sockets, the chances of your computer booting after
such an installation are pretty darn slim.

Tony Hill