"It Would Be Worth A Shot", Says GW Rep.

18:21 New party ('Mark Muley') has joined the session
18:21 You have been placed in queue. An advisor will join soon to
assist you. When you choose to finish your chat, please use the EXIT
CHAT button on your right.
18:27 New party ('Patrick') has joined the session
18:27 Mark Muley> hello
18:27 Patrick> Thank you for choosing Gateway.com, my name is Patrick
and I will be your e-Sales advisor. May I have your phone number to
better serve you?
18:28 Mark Muley> i thought it said to enter that on the screen before
18:28 Patrick> I'm sorry, there it is...How are you doing tonight
Mark?
18:28 Mark Muley> ok, i'm here...
18:29 Patrick> How can I help you tonight?
18:30 Mark Muley> i'm a radio engineer with several tech people i
support and i was looking into getting a couple of notebooks for the
two sites and
18:30 Mark Muley> a separate removable hdd module for each user
18:30 Patrick> I'll be glad to help you with that purchase.
18:30 Patrick> At Gateway, we put together solutions to fit your
needs. We feature award winning PCs and the #1 plasma TV in the
market. In order to put together a solution for you may I ask you a
few questions?
18:31 Mark Muley> i spoke with tech support yesterday
18:31 Mark Muley> it looks like we want the 675
18:31 Patrick> Very nice choice!
18:32 Patrick> Which of the 675 models were you wanting to go with?
18:32 Mark Muley> seems to be the only one with two modular bays
18:32 Patrick> That is correct.
18:32 Mark Muley> the smaller display is fine
18:32 Mark Muley> here's the deal
18:33 Mark Muley> can i get the machines with the one hdd in the
modular bay only?
18:33 Patrick> Please wait one moment while I look into this for you.
18:35 Patrick> I'm afraid not. There is not an option to remove the
CD-Rom on the 675E, but there is a modular 60GB hard drive that will
come in place of the floppy.
18:35 Mark Muley> no, i want each machine to have a cdrom
18:35 Mark Muley> and an empty slot
18:35 Mark Muley> eacu user will have their own Modular HDD
18:38 Patrick> I see, that will not be a problem. It sounds like the
675E is the way you will need to go.
18:38 Mark Muley> ok
18:38 Patrick> What price range were you looking to stay around for
each system?
18:39 Mark Muley> so here's what we need, two chassis, two cdroms, and
4 hard drives, each in the modular carrier
18:39 Mark Muley> is that ok?
18:39 Patrick> There will still be internal hard drives in the systems
too.
18:39 Patrick> Those cannot be removed.
18:39 Mark Muley> what do i do with those?
18:40 Mark Muley> can i get two complete modular hdd assy's and 2
empty (no hdd) ones
18:40 Mark Muley> to put those hdds in?
18:41 Patrick> We would not be able to load the operating system to a
modular drive, you will need the internal hard drives for the system
to operate.
18:41 Mark Muley> they told me tech support, the modular drive was the
same as the internal hdd bay as far as
18:42 Mark Muley> being a bootable drive was concerned
18:42 Mark Muley> so each user can put on the hdd what they need
18:42 Patrick> You can load an operating system to a modular drive,
but we do not have the option for that at the point of sales.
18:43 Patrick> *sale*
18:43 Mark Muley> no problem
18:43 Mark Muley> we will whack and load each one anyway
18:43 Patrick> Sounds good.
18:44 Mark Muley> so I don't wind up with four extra hdds I don't need
18:45 Patrick> Let me price out two 675E's for you each with a 60Gb
modular hard drive.
18:45 Mark Muley> ok
18:46 Patrick> It looks like with that addition, you are looking at
$3936.00 plus S&H and applicable taxes.
18:46 Mark Muley> for both?
18:47 Patrick> That is correct. Does this sound like what you had in
mind for your new Gateway notebooks Mark?
18:47 Mark Muley> ok
18:47 Mark Muley> this is with two hdds in each machine, right?
18:48 Patrick> That is with a 40Gb internal drive, and a 60Gb modular
drive for each machine.
18:48 Mark Muley> ok
18:48 Mark Muley> now
18:48 Mark Muley> can I get _empty_ Modular HDD carriers, to put those
two 40s in?
18:49 Patrick> Let me see if we have those carriers on the accessory
store site. I'll be right back.
18:53 Mark Muley> ok
18:56 Patrick> We have drive carriers available for desktop systems,
but not notebooks.
18:56 Mark Muley> that's as i suspected
18:58 Patrick> Would you still like to go with the two 675E's with one
internal ,and one modular hard drive?
18:58 Mark Muley> i'll have to check
18:58 Mark Muley> but, it's kind of silly I cant get the machines
without internal hdd's
18:59 Patrick> When were you looking to invest in your new notebooks?
18:59 Mark Muley> we are not in any huge hurry
18:59 Mark Muley> here's the deal
19:00 Mark Muley> any computer in our company is subject to our
management policy
19:00 Mark Muley> which means we have a standard antivirus, spam, and
user monitoring package
19:01 Mark Muley> This makes management a problem, especially at remoe
sites
19:02 Mark Muley> if we do not have a hdd in the machine, and each
user "owns" his/her hdd
19:02 Mark Muley> they can put any sw they need on it
19:02 Patrick> I do understand. I wish that I could have done more to
help you out. Can you do me one favor?
19:03 Mark Muley> depends
19:03 Mark Muley> what did you have in mind?
19:03 Patrick> If you decide that this is still the way you would like
to go call me at 1-800-846-2036 <snip> or place your order online and
type "Patrick" in the eSales Advisor field. I will make sure your
order is entered correctly for you.
19:04 Mark Muley> how about this
19:04 Mark Muley> if we buy those two computers complete at list as
you quoted,
19:04 Mark Muley> those empty carriers are probably very cheap for the
company to get
19:05 Mark Muley> can you get them to include a couple to make the
deal?
19:06 Patrick> We do not carry notebook hard drive carriers for this
model. The beat I would be able to do is see if we can apply a
discount if you would like to get two additional modular hard drives.
19:06 Patrick> *best*
19:06 Mark Muley> then what do I do with the two 40 gb drives?
19:07 Patrick> That cannot be removed.
19:08 Mark Muley> what do you mean?
19:08 Mark Muley> are they hermetically sealed in there?
19:08 Mark Muley> If they died how would we fix them?
19:09 Patrick> At the point of sale we do not have the option to
remove that drive.
19:09 Patrick> If I could do this for you, I certainly would.
19:10 Mark Muley> let me check with some other vendors
19:10 Mark Muley> my guess is i can get a toshiba this way
19:11 Patrick> It would be worth a shot.
19:11 Patrick> For your convenience and future reference, you will
receive a detailed transcript of our chat session including all page
links provided today via e-mail. Thank you for chatting with Gateway
eCountry.
19:13 Mark Muley> ok
19:19 Mark Muley> ok

Could this be the script for a new reality TV show? ... Ben Myers