Synch memory?

I recently acquired 3 SDRAM modules; they're 256 MB each and marked as
PC133 SYNCH ECC.

I tried them in an old AX6BC motherboard I have and no matter which
ones/how many I install the BIOS only report approx 131 MB. Would
upgrading the BIOS help or is this mb just incapable of handling this
RAM? How would I determine what type of MB would take this RAM?

Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about synch memory

    On 10 Apr 2005 20:40:18 -0700, "Mr. Land" <graftonfot@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I recently acquired 3 SDRAM modules; they're 256 MB each and marked as
    >PC133 SYNCH ECC.
    >
    >I tried them in an old AX6BC motherboard I have and no matter which
    >ones/how many I install the BIOS only report approx 131 MB. Would
    >upgrading the BIOS help or is this mb just incapable of handling this
    >RAM? How would I determine what type of MB would take this RAM?

    If the DIMMs only have 8 chips on one side then the 440BX chipset on that
    mbrd cannot handle the addressing of the 256Mbit memory chips. Just about
    any SDRAM mbrd/chipset after the 440BX would be needed... say i810, i815 or
    i845 with SDRAM capability. Obviously not the DRDRAM models like i820,
    i840, which immediately followed the i440BX, or i850.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

    Thank you very much.

    I have two machines running with:

    Asus TUV4X (chipset VIA VT82C694T)

    ECS P4S5A (chipset SiS645 & SiS691)

    ....would either of these work?

    Thanks very much!

    On 12 Apr 2005 10:51:00 -0700, "Mr. Land" <graftonfot@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I have two machines running with:
    >
    >Asus TUV4X (chipset VIA VT82C694T)
    >
    >ECS P4S5A (chipset SiS645 & SiS691)
    >
    >...would either of these work?

    The VIA 694 should be OK I think but VIA stopped publishing Data Sheets
    about that time so I can't be sure. The SiS I know nothing about but you
    might check their Web site.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

CPUs Memory