Synch memory?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
April 11, 2005 12:40:18 AM

I recently acquired 3 SDRAM modules; they're 256 MB each and marked as
PC133 SYNCH ECC.

I tried them in an old AX6BC motherboard I have and no matter which
ones/how many I install the BIOS only report approx 131 MB. Would
upgrading the BIOS help or is this mb just incapable of handling this
RAM? How would I determine what type of MB would take this RAM?

Thanks.

More about : synch memory

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
April 11, 2005 3:57:19 AM

On 10 Apr 2005 20:40:18 -0700, "Mr. Land" <graftonfot@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I recently acquired 3 SDRAM modules; they're 256 MB each and marked as
>PC133 SYNCH ECC.
>
>I tried them in an old AX6BC motherboard I have and no matter which
>ones/how many I install the BIOS only report approx 131 MB. Would
>upgrading the BIOS help or is this mb just incapable of handling this
>RAM? How would I determine what type of MB would take this RAM?

If the DIMMs only have 8 chips on one side then the 440BX chipset on that
mbrd cannot handle the addressing of the 256Mbit memory chips. Just about
any SDRAM mbrd/chipset after the 440BX would be needed... say i810, i815 or
i845 with SDRAM capability. Obviously not the DRDRAM models like i820,
i840, which immediately followed the i440BX, or i850.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Anonymous

Thank you very much.
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
April 12, 2005 2:51:00 PM

I have two machines running with:

Asus TUV4X (chipset VIA VT82C694T)

ECS P4S5A (chipset SiS645 & SiS691)

....would either of these work?

Thanks very much!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b } Memory
April 12, 2005 11:43:41 PM

On 12 Apr 2005 10:51:00 -0700, "Mr. Land" <graftonfot@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have two machines running with:
>
>Asus TUV4X (chipset VIA VT82C694T)
>
>ECS P4S5A (chipset SiS645 & SiS691)
>
>...would either of these work?

The VIA 694 should be OK I think but VIA stopped publishing Data Sheets
about that time so I can't be sure. The SiS I know nothing about but you
might check their Web site.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
!