Mixing DDR and DDR2 Memory

I have a Dell system that has multiple memory slots. Currently, there
is only one slot filled which has 256MB DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHZ.

I have found cheaper memory that is DDR and not DDR2. Will I take a
big performance hit if I buy another module that is plain DDR?

Thanks,
Josh
4 answers Last reply
More about mixing ddr2 memory

    As I reviewed my posting I noticed a Google Ad.

    Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory CL3

    How would that sit alongside my current memory?

    Thanks,
    Josh

    They aren't compatible.

    Yousuf Khan

    It won't work. The two types of DDR have different slots.

    "joshfeingold" <joshfeingold@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > As I reviewed my posting I noticed a Google Ad.
    >
    > Ultra 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory CL3
    >
    > How would that sit alongside my current memory?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Josh

    On 13 Apr 2005 09:19:48 -0700, "joshfeingold"
    <joshfeingold@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I have a Dell system that has multiple memory slots. Currently, there
    >is only one slot filled which has 256MB DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHZ.
    >
    >I have found cheaper memory that is DDR and not DDR2. Will I take a
    >big performance hit if I buy another module that is plain DDR?

    Yup, this is one of those 100% performance hits... ie it won't work at
    all. In fact, chances are that you won't have any DDR slots on the
    motherboard, so you'll need to use a hammer to install the DDR modules
    into DDR2 slots... and as I always say "If you have to use a hammer to
    get it to fit, you're probably doing something wrong".

    Now, the real question to ask is "Why is Dell (and HPaq) selling
    systems with DDR2 memory when it's slower than DDR and costs more"...
    umm.. but don't look to me for an answer to that one, because I really
    don't know.

    Tony Hill

CPUs DDR2 DDR Memory