The XP SP2 Horror to come.

The list of programs that will work “differently” after the service
pack 2 has expanded to 200 applications on the eve of the consumer
roll out of the update. (Microsoft's update troubles deepen further)
http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=457

Believe it or not... The List includes a lot of MS's own applications
including Office!

But what the hell... Bill's still going to release it and let the
public sort it out as usual.
37 answers Last reply
More about horror come

    Interesting how you changed the meaning of Microsoft's article by
    changing just one little word
    What Microsoft wrote "may behave differently"
    What you wrote "will work "differently""

    At least to me, there is a significant difference between the words
    "may" and "will".
    May means just that, you may not have any troubles as many have
    reported.

    You would make an interesting journalist.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "TR" <fakeaddress@forspammers.com> wrote in message
    > The list of programs that will work "differently" after the service
    > pack 2 has expanded to 200 applications on the eve of the consumer
    > roll out of the update. (Microsoft's update troubles deepen further)
    > http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=457
    >
    > Believe it or not... The List includes a lot of MS's own
    > applications
    > including Office!
    >
    > But what the hell... Bill's still going to release it and let the
    > public sort it out as usual.

    Microsoft wrote "may behave differently" to imply that they encountered
    anomalous behavior of the program at least under SOME (not all) conditions
    running XP2. You or I may or may not encounter the same behavior depending on
    how we use such a program? No matter how one parses it or interprets it, 200
    programs is a bunch, enough for people to set a restore point before installing
    SP2 and then to tread carefully.

    Others have stated that SP2 is a major release, despite its service pack
    designation. Given past history with Microsoft operating systems, one should go
    forward carefully with a major release. Actually, DOS 6.2 was pretty much free
    of problems... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:02:25 GMT, "Jupiter Jones" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com>
    wrote:

    >Interesting how you changed the meaning of Microsoft's article by
    >changing just one little word
    >What Microsoft wrote "may behave differently"
    >What you wrote "will work "differently""
    >
    >At least to me, there is a significant difference between the words
    >"may" and "will".
    >May means just that, you may not have any troubles as many have
    >reported.
    >
    >You would make an interesting journalist.
    >
    >--
    >Jupiter Jones
    >http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    >"TR" <fakeaddress@forspammers.com> wrote in message
    >> The list of programs that will work "differently" after the service
    >> pack 2 has expanded to 200 applications on the eve of the consumer
    >> roll out of the update. (Microsoft's update troubles deepen further)
    >> http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=457
    >>
    >> Believe it or not... The List includes a lot of MS's own
    >> applications
    >> including Office!
    >>
    >> But what the hell... Bill's still going to release it and let the
    >> public sort it out as usual.

    I never heard anyone, at least not someone with any computer
    experience, suggest a Service pack is anything but a major release.
    Also much of what Microsoft publishes shows Microsoft considers SP-2 a
    major release.
    Otherwise there would not be near as much information about SP-2.

    A restore Point is always a good idea before any major change, not
    just Service Packs.
    But many use them improperly.
    Many are already uninstalling SP-2 at the first sign of trouble
    ignoring the possibility there is a simple fix already arranged from
    Microsoft or the application or hardware vendor.

    So far my experiences are less issues with SP-2 than SP-1
    However that depends greatly on the prior maintenance of the computer.

    Most problems will have simple fixes.
    But I still hear of people formatting the computer Microsoft messed up
    because they can no longer get attachments because "OE has removed
    access..." after getting a bunch of updates.
    The easy but long solution many take is to blame Microsoft and either
    format or uninstall which in itself is another major change.
    When the correct solution is usually easy to locate.

    --

    > Microsoft wrote "may behave differently" to imply that they
    > encountered
    > anomalous behavior of the program at least under SOME (not all)
    > conditions
    > running XP2. You or I may or may not encounter the same behavior
    > depending on
    > how we use such a program? No matter how one parses it or
    > interprets it, 200
    > programs is a bunch, enough for people to set a restore point before
    > installing
    > SP2 and then to tread carefully.
    >
    > Others have stated that SP2 is a major release, despite its service
    > pack
    > designation. Given past history with Microsoft operating systems,
    > one should go
    > forward carefully with a major release. Actually, DOS 6.2 was
    > pretty much free
    > of problems... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:02:25 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
    > <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Interesting how you changed the meaning of Microsoft's article by
    >>changing just one little word
    >>What Microsoft wrote "may behave differently"
    >>What you wrote "will work "differently""
    >>
    >>At least to me, there is a significant difference between the words
    >>"may" and "will".
    >>May means just that, you may not have any troubles as many have
    >>reported.
    >>
    >>You would make an interesting journalist.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Jupiter Jones
    >>http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >>

    >>"TR" <fakeaddress@forspammers.com> wrote in message
    >>> The list of programs that will work "differently" after the
    >>> service
    >>> pack 2 has expanded to 200 applications on the eve of the consumer
    >>> roll out of the update. (Microsoft's update troubles deepen
    >>> further)
    >>> http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=457
    >>>
    >>> Believe it or not... The List includes a lot of MS's own
    >>> applications
    >>> including Office!
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130
    >>>
    >>> But what the hell... Bill's still going to release it and let the
    >>> public sort it out as usual.

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:02:25 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
    <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

    >Interesting how you changed the meaning of Microsoft's article by
    >changing just one little word
    >What Microsoft wrote "may behave differently"
    >What you wrote "will work "differently""
    >
    >At least to me, there is a significant difference between the words
    >"may" and "will".
    >May means just that, you may not have any troubles as many have
    >reported.

    And just like Bill Clinton, you took attention away from the article
    in point by debating what the meaning if "is" is.

    >You would make an interesting journalist.

    And you would make a great politician the way you dodge the content
    and detour the subject matter away from what you don't like.

    BTW, the whole thing was copied and pasted from one of the MS NG's. I
    pasted it here because I thought people would be interested in
    following the links instead of making a big deal out of what the
    meaning of "is" is....

    Now back to the actual point of the readings that were supplied in the
    links given (if you even read them)......

    Sorry if all this steps on your love affair with MS but hey, sorry to
    burst your bubble but the profound revolation is.... I didn't code
    this mess, I just posted what I had read about the mess. If that
    hurts your feelings and you have to resort to detouring away from the
    subject by debating the meaning of what "is" is.... then get a job in
    politics where you would undoubtedly be a pro.

    Tell you what, let the ones interested in the article and links debate
    the actual substance and you can create a side bar crying and whining
    about what the meaning of "is" is....

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 04:00:20 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >No matter how one parses it or interprets it, 200
    >programs is a bunch, enough for people to set a restore point before installing
    >SP2 and then to tread carefully.

    Yes Ben, it did seem to miss that point while debating what the
    meaning of "is" is, didn't it...

    But you are right that 200 possible is (or should be) a concern. A
    lot of my programs are listed there. Some other articles linked to
    from the MS NG's stated that a lot of tests had shown that restore
    would not take you back to "exactly" the condition you were in before
    implementing the upgrade. There were even instances where restore
    failed all together resulting in the need for a complete restoration
    of the system.

    From what I gather by following all the links and articles... most of
    the problem is with the firewall in SP2. It seems from what I have
    read that turning the firewall off after installation will not get
    things back to normal and MS coded this thing to install with the
    firewall turned on by default...

    >Given past history with Microsoft operating systems, one should go
    >forward carefully with a major release.

    Unless you blindly go into it while sidetracked in a discussion about
    what the meaning of "is" is.... Sorry, had to throw that in because
    people like that are so transparent and funny.... Anyway... you are
    right about the history of such companies. But like politicians and
    governments, no one learns from history... thus to repeat it.

    Now to a MS argument I read about this mess of which also has some
    merit to MS's credit.... He said that OS's evolve and programs that
    operate under evolving OS's must also evolve along with them in order
    to stay compliant (compatible). Okay... I buy that.... BUT! You
    don't just throw a new evolution to an OS out there before other major
    players have had time to conform their products. Remember, MS's own
    Office products are even having compatibility problems with this
    release. In other words, MS itself hasn't even had time to make all
    its own applications compliant with the new release.

    Another link stated that Norton has a fix for their suit of
    applications but has put a warning out that you MUST install the fix
    before installing SP2 because you can't back up later and make it
    work. If you install SP2 and then try to do the FIX, you are dead in
    the water and even a "Rollback" will not save you. A complete
    restoration of the system will be needed. Problem..... You will only
    know this if you visit certain sections of the Symantec site or hear
    it second hand.... I think it was about Norton SystemWorks mostly but
    do know that my version of NAV2003 will not be compliant and Norton is
    only fixing all 2004 versions of their stuff to be compliant. So, if
    I install this mess, I would be forced to pay the bucks to move from
    NAV 2003 to 2004 when 2003 was working just fine before the SP2
    debacle. And that's just one program....

    I added up what it would cost me to become compliant with SP2 if all
    my application on the list of 200 did in fact fail to work. I quit
    counting after seeing the cost of moving from Office Pro 2000 to the
    version that will (in the future) be fixed to be compliant with SP2
    (it is my understanding that they haven't even started making the
    latest Office compliant yet because they don't know why it is having
    trouble with SP2).

    Which brings up another point.... MS is pushing you, on their upgrade
    page, to turn ON automatic download and install of upgrades so you
    don't miss getting SP2. In the face of what problems could come of
    this installation, I can't believe MS is actually suggesting people
    turn their upgrade option to Automatic download and Install.... Well,
    as you said... looking at their history... Yes I can!

    After all I have read, I think the prudent thing would be to hide and
    watch on this one. AND!!!! DO NOT turn on Automatic Download and
    Install of Upgrades as suggested by MS. because History shows that MS
    doesn't always know what's best.....

    Regards,
    TR
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >Others have stated that SP2 is a major release, despite its service pack
    >designation.

    From http://channelzone.ziffdavis.com/article2/0,1759,1613230,00.asp

    "Microsoft has a history of major releases with understated names, and
    Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) is no exception."

    Regards,
    TR
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:54:07 -0400, TR <fakeaddress@forspammers.com>
    wrote:

    > DO NOT turn on Automatic Download and
    >Install of Upgrades as suggested by MS.

    From http://www.teamits.com/start/winxpsp2.php

    Warning: Windows XP Service Pack 2
    TO: ALL ITS CLIENTS

    FROM: Steve, John, Amy, Simon

    What follows is a copy of a recent ITS news release you may have seen
    suggesting that businesses postpone their download of Microsoft’s
    Service Pack 2 security fix for Windows XP, officially named " Windows
    XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies." While ITS
    applauds the increased security levels available with SP2, the news
    release encompasses our concerns about this “fix,” and following is
    information regarding specific programs that are known to have issues
    with SP2.

    Windows XP can be configured to automatically download and install all
    "critical updates" from Microsoft, which will include SP2. Below are
    instructions for disabling this download. Note this entire issue only
    applies to PCs running Windows XP.

    View the ITS press release
    http://www.teamits.com/start/winxpsp2_pr.php
    Small Businesses Urged to Postpone Microsoft XP Security ‘Fix’.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:02:25 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
    <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

    >Interesting how you changed the meaning of Microsoft's article by
    >changing just one little word

    From one of the links posted in the message that you indubitably never
    followed much less read:

    "Now major applications including Microsoft’s own packages will act
    differently when the new service pack is installed onto a PC running
    Windows XP."

    The are called links.... the way it works is that you follow them.
    But then, you have to read them also. Now, if you did the first two
    things, and by a small twist of fate, you comprehend what you were
    suppose to follow and read, then you would see where the actual source
    of what was said came from and you wouldn't have made such a
    blundering ass out of yourself.....
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    You now find it necessary to be insulting because I see a difference
    in "will" & "may".
    I didn't "dodge" anything, I pointed out the bias in your post.
    The same type of bias found many places with a bias against Microsoft.

    Your excuse "copied and pasted from one of the MS NG's" shows little
    validity on your part.
    Quotes are normally appropriate if you desire others to know it is not
    your own.
    Quotes around one word does not say much in this case especially when
    no reference is given.

    I have read the articles, that is why I noticed the obvious error, how
    did you miss the error?
    If you think "will" is the same as "may", fine, but by posting, you
    invite comments and then cry and insult when you get a correction.
    Once you read the articles and do a little more research you may
    discover that many computers have no issues at all so "may" as used is
    correct.
    This newsgroup as many others is not exclusively for your bias, you
    invited comments and you got one.

    You also have this in another post:
    "From http://channelzone.ziffdavis.com/article2/0,1759,1613230,00.asp
    "Microsoft has a history of major releases with understated names, and
    Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) is no exception." "
    Where does Microsoft state SP-2 is not a major release?
    I doubt it is said anywhere...except by Microsoft critics.
    Microsoft would probably not publish so much about a minor release.

    The fact you need to insult as well as make irrelevant comparisons to
    Clinton is further evidence of your true position.
    So it seems anyone that disagrees with you has a "love affair with MS"
    and needs to be beaten by you so that you can prove you are correct.
    It fails miserably unless you wanted to show this ego need of yours.

    Perhaps if you could stick to facts, you could have something
    worthwhile to say, but apparently your facts are insults.

    Good bye TR, You clearly have little of value to pass on about this
    subject.
    Don't bother posting back unless you are actually posting to others.

    --

    > On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 02:02:25 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
    > <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Interesting how you changed the meaning of Microsoft's article by
    >>changing just one little word
    >>What Microsoft wrote "may behave differently"
    >>What you wrote "will work "differently""
    >>
    >>At least to me, there is a significant difference between the words
    >>"may" and "will".
    >>May means just that, you may not have any troubles as many have
    >>reported.
    >
    > And just like Bill Clinton, you took attention away from the article
    > in point by debating what the meaning if "is" is.
    >
    >>You would make an interesting journalist.
    >
    > And you would make a great politician the way you dodge the content
    > and detour the subject matter away from what you don't like.
    >
    > BTW, the whole thing was copied and pasted from one of the MS NG's.
    > pasted it here because I thought people would be interested in
    > following the links instead of making a big deal out of what the
    > meaning of "is" is....
    >
    > Now back to the actual point of the readings that were supplied in
    > the
    > links given (if you even read them)......
    >
    > Sorry if all this steps on your love affair with MS but hey, sorry
    > burst your bubble but the profound revolation is.... I didn't code
    > this mess, I just posted what I had read about the mess. If that
    > hurts your feelings and you have to resort to detouring away from
    > the
    > subject by debating the meaning of what "is" is.... then get a job
    > in
    > politics where you would undoubtedly be a pro.
    >
    > Tell you what, let the ones interested in the article and links
    > debate
    > the actual substance and you can create a side bar crying and
    > whining
    > about what the meaning of "is" is....
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:42:21 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
    <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

    I insult because you don't know how to follow a simple link which was
    PROVIDED in order to see and read and comprehend that what you blamed
    me of saying was in fact what I was conveying from the link that
    someone else had said. That's why the link was provided... DUH! So,
    until you understand how following links works, don't stick your foot
    in your mouth next time. Best way I know of how to keep from being
    "Insulted". Read (and try to understand) all you are provided before
    running off at the mouth....

    If that is too complicated for you... lets go over it one more time.

    Someone provides information they read on the Internet. Along with
    that, they provide the links to where they got the information. Now,
    as the reader, you are suppose to poses the intelligence to follow the
    link in order to confirm that what the writer is telling you was said,
    was in fact what was said. Now, if you disagree with what was said,
    then you go to the person provided in the link as the original author
    and have your little spat with them, NOT the one that was simply
    conveying what was said/written by another as confirmed by the link
    provided.

    Now, if that is still over your head as to how it works... I'm sorry
    because I can't make it any simpler for you. Maybe have your Mommy
    try to explain it to you cause I don't have the patience for your
    stupidity in such a simple thing as following the link provided to
    confirm who really said what and who was just the messenger of what
    was said.

    What an idiot!
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    The links you gave in your message were evident to me tr and I also
    appreciate you bringing this to my attention because I had no idea
    there was a problem and had done as microsoft had suggested by putting
    my computer on automatic for the upgrade. I reversed that.

    One word of advice though tr, even though most people understand how
    links work and that anyone following the links you gave would see
    immediately that you were writing what the person in the link had
    said, you must show patience for those that don't understand how links
    work. I can understand how one could loose their temper with those
    but a gentler approach at educating them might bear more fruit in the
    end.

    Again, thanks for posting all this information on this sp2 and the
    problems that seem to surround it. It looks as thought microsoft
    wasn't going to make any statements about the problems before an
    unknowing population installed the darned thing.

    You know, I think I am starting to distrust them. Millie
  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Even Microsoft Outlook Express has a bug with the SP2 update. If an email
    has a URL (link) in
    it, the color of it will always be "BLUE" meaning that the site is not in
    your history file. If you do a "FORWARD" or "REPLY" of that email and you
    have been to that site before and it is still in your history file the color
    of the URL (link) will be "MAROON" (Standard default colors). The color
    shown of a URL link worked correctly before the SP2 update. I noticed it
    also did not work in the RC1 release. I did a re-install of XP Home after
    the RC1 release and waited for the SP2 release.

    I have been in contact with Microsoft Support and they are looking into it.
    Support is not sure if it is a design change or a "BUG".

    "TR" <fakeaddress@forspammers.com> wrote in message
    > The list of programs that will work "differently" after the service
    > pack 2 has expanded to 200 applications on the eve of the consumer
    > roll out of the update. (Microsoft's update troubles deepen further)
    > http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=457
    >
    > Believe it or not... The List includes a lot of MS's own applications
    > including Office!
    >
    > But what the hell... Bill's still going to release it and let the
    > public sort it out as usual.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Millie;
    Looking back I see where I missed something.
    In his second post he said "BTW, the whole thing was copied and pasted
    from one of the MS NG's..."
    From then I was thinking the original statement was from the newsgroup
    post.
    But by that time his insults were flying fast.

    Articles like that are bad journalism.
    The writer changed a small word which significantly changed the
    meaning from the source document without justifying their change.

    By changing the word, the writer has unjustifiably increased the
    paranoia about something many need to do at some point.

    I learned a long time ago that when a person feels the need to shore
    up the position with name calling and anger, the strength of their
    point of view has already been exhausted.
    I have said as much whether the person supported my point of view or
    not.
    Anger and name calling typically hurts the one using it more than
    anyone else, it certainly does nothing to me.

    Lastly, directly and indirectly I have posted that link and several
    more directly related to SP-2 more than 50 times since his first post
    on this subject yesterday, easily more than 300 times since I
    installed SP-2 on 9 August.

    --

    "Millie" <millie4@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > The links you gave in your message were evident to me tr and I also
    > appreciate you bringing this to my attention because I had no idea
    > there was a problem and had done as microsoft had suggested by
    > putting
    > my computer on automatic for the upgrade. I reversed that.
    >
    > One word of advice though tr, even though most people understand how
    > links work and that anyone following the links you gave would see
    > immediately that you were writing what the person in the link had
    > said, you must show patience for those that don't understand how
    > links
    > work. I can understand how one could loose their temper with those
    > but a gentler approach at educating them might bear more fruit in
    > the
    > end.
    >
    > Again, thanks for posting all this information on this sp2 and the
    > problems that seem to surround it. It looks as thought microsoft
    > wasn't going to make any statements about the problems before an
    > unknowing population installed the darned thing.
    >
    > You know, I think I am starting to distrust them. Millie
  14. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Well said Jupiter.

    --
    "Hurricane" Andrew
    Milford, DE

    Jupiter Jones wrote:
    > Millie;
    > Looking back I see where I missed something.
    > In his second post he said "BTW, the whole thing was copied and pasted
    > from one of the MS NG's..."
    > From then I was thinking the original statement was from the newsgroup
    > post.
    > But by that time his insults were flying fast.
    >
    > Articles like that are bad journalism.
    > The writer changed a small word which significantly changed the
    > meaning from the source document without justifying their change.
    >
    > By changing the word, the writer has unjustifiably increased the
    > paranoia about something many need to do at some point.
    >
    > I learned a long time ago that when a person feels the need to shore
    > up the position with name calling and anger, the strength of their
    > point of view has already been exhausted.
    > I have said as much whether the person supported my point of view or
    > not.
    > Anger and name calling typically hurts the one using it more than
    > anyone else, it certainly does nothing to me.
    >
    > Lastly, directly and indirectly I have posted that link and several
    > more directly related to SP-2 more than 50 times since his first post
    > on this subject yesterday, easily more than 300 times since I
    > installed SP-2 on 9 August.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On 18 Aug 2004 18:03:23 -0700, millie4@adelphia.net (Millie) wrote:

    >The links you gave in your message were evident to me tr

    Glad to hear that. They were hard to miss weren't they (all colored
    differently, underlined and with a big fat http:// sitting at the
    front)?

    >appreciate you bringing this to my attention because I had no idea
    >there was a problem and had done as microsoft had suggested by putting
    >my computer on automatic for the upgrade. I reversed that.

    That was the purpose of the original post and of course, the original
    links so the attuned could see that this was NOT original to me but
    was being posted around the Internet by others and posted on certain
    PC publications. Of course, the link clueless took attention away
    from the purpose of the post and got into a semantic thing with a
    person that was nothing more than the messenger of what was being said
    and posted around the web.

    >One word of advice though tr, even though most people understand how
    >links work and that anyone following the links you gave would see
    >immediately that you were writing what the person in the link had
    >said

    Yep, sort of stuck right there in the open for anyone with a clue to
    see and follow.

    >you must show patience for those that don't understand how links
    >work.

    Patience toward those that don't react falsely because of not having a
    clue to how links work is fine but when they react and post falsely
    because of not having a clue as to how to follow the links PROVIDED
    for conformation of/from the source of what was said.... then they
    need to be insulted. I have no tolerance for those types what so
    ever.

    >Again, thanks for posting all this information on this sp2 and the
    >problems that seem to surround it. It looks as thought microsoft
    >wasn't going to make any statements about the problems before an
    >unknowing population installed the darned thing.

    They do have a history of doing such... I see that today my
    auto-update warning told me that SP2 was ready for download. Of
    course, due to MS's sorted history, I am going to hide and watch
    before jumping on this one. Maybe wait for SP2.12345 to come out and
    that list of 200 non-compatibles to go down (grin).

    >You know, I think I am starting to distrust them. Millie

    They don't have a track record supportive of trusting do they?

    I did read on the ZoneLabs Forum (makers of Zone Alarm Firewall), that
    some suggest downloading SP2 but NOT to install it yet. Then
    disconnect from online and halt all firewalls, AV's, PopUp blockers,
    Ad/Spyware watchers and other background processes going on. Next,
    install sp2t and then turn off all its features. Then reconnect to
    online and reboot.

    Well, why install it in the first place if you are going to do it that
    way? I'm not the smartest guy in town even though I do know how and
    when to follow a provided link, but this seems to be canceling the
    purpose of installing it in the first place.

    Following some other forums this morning, I see that there are those
    that let it install and have seen no negative side effects what so
    ever from it while others are reporting everything from a single
    application going down to whole systems going down. One of my
    engineers said he just got off the phone with a friend that said their
    AutoCad went down after installing SP2 while another office running
    the same version of AutoCad is doing fine after the SP2 install.

    I guess that's what scares me the most about this thing.... It would
    appear from what I am reading that no one, not even MS knows what the
    effects will be on any single or collective set of systems or
    applications. Why does A's Widget program go down while B's Widget
    program is un effected?

    I think what is going on.... AND... this is what I am saying so those
    Link Challenged types out there can actually flame me for what I say
    from this spot forward because it is '*** What I Think ***'.... I
    think MS has been under such pressure to finally do something about
    all their security holes that they have "Rushed" to release what they
    perceive to be the fix or all fixes, SP2, before it has been
    thoroughly tested and before a lot of questions about all these
    application clashes with it have been properly addressed.

    Regards,
    TR
  16. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    See below...

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:32:17 -0400, TR <fakeaddress@forspammers.com> wrote:

    <SNIP>
    >Glad to hear that. They were hard to miss weren't they (all colored
    >differently, underlined and with a big fat http:// sitting at the
    >front)?

    Um, some of us still adhere to the usenet text-only conventions, which guarantee
    that any news reader can read a news item. The prettied up text outlining the
    URL just does not show up in some news readers, mine included. But I have
    learned to read key words like http:// .

    <SNIP #2>

    >I guess that's what scares me the most about this thing.... It would
    >appear from what I am reading that no one, not even MS knows what the
    >effects will be on any single or collective set of systems or
    >applications. Why does A's Widget program go down while B's Widget
    >program is un effected?

    Yes! Yes! Yes! Been that way since Windows 95 hit the streets, and the
    ever-more-complex and inscrutable Windows environment has left Micro$oft more
    clueless.

    >I think what is going on.... AND... this is what I am saying so those
    >Link Challenged types out there can actually flame me for what I say
    >from this spot forward because it is '*** What I Think ***'.... I
    >think MS has been under such pressure to finally do something about
    >all their security holes that they have "Rushed" to release what they
    >perceive to be the fix or all fixes, SP2, before it has been
    >thoroughly tested and before a lot of questions about all these
    >application clashes with it have been properly addressed.

    You betcha. They rushed this one to market, just like all the others were
    rushed to market... Ben Myers

    >Regards,
    >TR
  17. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 17:23:12 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >But I have
    >learned to read key words like http:// .

    That's why I always make a "rich text" link also show as the "Plain
    Text" characterization of the actual link so everyone can see it one
    way or the other (click on it or copy & paste it).

    >and the
    >ever-more-complex and inscrutable Windows environment has left Micro$oft more
    >clueless.

    Ever hear the term "Running on a Hope and a Prayer"? Just trying to
    keep the whole conglomerate afloat until everyone can cash in and hit
    the sunny beaches of Island-Retire.

    >They rushed this one to market, just like all the others were
    >rushed to market

    Just got back from a visit to the people that made my latest computer.
    Besides from making custom systems to order, they also offer three
    house units already made up in three different colors (9 systems in
    all) which are sitting proudly in their store front window.

    Around noon, he said he decided to go on and upgrade all nine to SP2.
    Good for 7 so far, questionable for 1 and very bad for 1. One lost
    all control over NAV2004, giving errors on bootup and refusing to open
    NAV to check configuration. A clean uninstall of NAV2004 did not keep
    the bootup errors from popping up even though the system would boot
    just without any virus protection. Then the worse case was the one
    that would not boot back up after the installation. It locks dead up
    between the time the XP splash screen goes off and the desktop image
    comes up (during the brief moment of black between the two). No error
    messages. He said they are going through the error logs on C: after
    booting in safe mode but have found nothing as to why this has
    happened. He said they will probably have to do a full restoration
    and try to do the SP2 again and see because the XP restore would not
    get it back to where it was before the upgrade for some reason.

    So.... you tell me.... out of the nine computers, you got three sets
    of three computers that are identical in every way except for color of
    case and one computer of the single sets of three bombs while the
    other two of the same set doesn't upon installation of SP2.

    Regards,
    TR
  18. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    >>Re: The XP SP2 Horror to come.
    > You betcha. They rushed this one to market, just like all the others were
    > rushed to market... Ben Myers

    You can't bitch too bad about the perfidy of Microsoft, because there
    are other software options out there. It's not like they actually have
    a monopoly. You could get off your lazy fat ass and learn to use a
    real operating system.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    The real operating system being??? How abovt the operating system I WROTE from
    scratch for the GE-225 compvter back in the mid-1960's? Instead of reading all
    programs from pvnched cards as done previovsly, it loaded programs from a hard
    disk the size of a pizza oven, with TWO refrigerator-sized controllers to handle
    the disk. Is that real enovgh for yov?

    I hate to pvt some reality into yovr head, bvt the operating system is NOT the
    reason for people making the choices they do in this millenivm. The SOFTWARE
    APPLICATIONS are what drives people to choose compvter and operating system,
    becavse people actvally vse software applications programs to do real work..

    Microsoft Office has 90% of the office prodvctivitiy marketplace. Show me an
    operating system that can rvn Microsoft Office XP and that's the operating
    system people will bvy. Oops! The only answer is Windows XP. Microsoft
    actvally DOES have a monopoly. The US Dept of Jvstice fovnd that Microsoft has
    a monopoly, bvt the Bvsh administration dropped the ball. Mario Monti's
    Evropean Union anti-trvst vnit has also fovnd Microsoft gvilty of monopolistic
    practices, and Microsoft is fighting that one like mad. If yov go back as long
    as I do in this bvsiness, yov, too, wovld be able to tell trve stories of how
    Microsoft bvilt its monopoly, pvtting other companies ovt of bvsiness with sharp
    practices.

    Thank yov for yovr opinion, troll... Ben Myers

    On 19 Avg 2004 18:22:40 -0700, samdotbyrams@hotmail.com (Sam Byrams) wrote:

    >>>Re: The XP SP2 Horror to come.
    >> Yov betcha. They rvshed this one to market, jvst like all the others were
    >> rvshed to market... Ben Myers
    >>

    > Yov can't bitch too bad abovt the perfidy of Microsoft, becavse there
    >are other software options ovt there. It's not like they actvally have
    >a monopoly. Yov covld get off yovr lazy fat ass and learn to vse a
    >real operating system.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    > The real operating system being??? How about the operating system I WROTE
    from
    > scratch for the GE-225 computer back in the mid-1960's? Instead of
    reading all
    > programs from punched cards as done previously, it loaded programs from a
    hard
    > disk the size of a pizza oven, with TWO refrigerator-sized controllers to
    handle
    > the disk. Is that real enough for you?

    Ben,

    Thought I recognized your name! Just couldn't place you until the above
    post. Sorry 'bout that (CRAFT disease, don'cha know). <bg> Glad to see
    you're still in there kicking, guy! I've only been in the biz since '79-'80
    (COCO I & II). BASIC wasn't too bad, but had a little trouble with COBOL &
    FORTRAN.

    Louie
    Gainesville, FL, USA

    ---
  21. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    A follow up on the computer store with the 9 display computers that
    had sp2 put on them...

    The one that just would not boot after... He finally did a full
    restoration this morning, not hard since it had nothing more on it
    than what was on the restoration. The computer is sitting there
    waiting to be notified of the sp2 update since that is the only way
    you can get the update (through the automatic notification). You
    can't get it from the online update site.

    So.... they are waiting.... waiting..... waiting.......

    They have tried the time setting for the download and the chosen time
    has passed by two times and nothing. He is wondering if they have
    pulled the update or something.....

    So... I had turned auto notification off completely on this desktop,
    opting to just check manually on a daily bases to see if there were
    any criticals available. I turned auto notify back on and waited...
    Nothing. I then also set a time to do the check and it passed with
    nothing...

    Do you suppose they pulled it?

    Regards,
    TR
  22. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    There are other office productivity packages and they work about as
    well as M$ Office. If you are running a business with employees you
    don't regard as fungible cogs, getting them to use other programs is
    pretty simple. They are generally far less expensive, often more
    robust, and some probably easier to use.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    No, but Microsoft is daily limiting the number of computers getting
    SP-2 through Automatic Update.
    The computer may get SP-2 now or it could be a few days.
    Interactive Update is not due available until 25 August.
    So all is normal and as expected.

    --

    >A follow up on the computer store with the 9 display computers that
    > had sp2 put on them...
    >
    > The one that just would not boot after... He finally did a full
    > restoration this morning, not hard since it had nothing more on it
    > than what was on the restoration. The computer is sitting there
    > waiting to be notified of the sp2 update since that is the only way
    > you can get the update (through the automatic notification). You
    > can't get it from the online update site.
    >
    > So.... they are waiting.... waiting..... waiting.......
    >
    > They have tried the time setting for the download and the chosen
    > time
    > has passed by two times and nothing. He is wondering if they have
    > pulled the update or something.....
    >
    > So... I had turned auto notification off completely on this desktop,
    > opting to just check manually on a daily bases to see if there were
    > any criticals available. I turned auto notify back on and waited...
    > Nothing. I then also set a time to do the check and it passed with
    > nothing...
    >
    > Do you suppose they pulled it?
    >
    > Regards,
    > TR
  24. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:16:18 GMT, "Jupiter Jones"
    <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote:

    >No, but Microsoft is daily limiting the number of computers getting
    >SP-2 through Automatic Update.
    >The computer may get SP-2 now or it could be a few days.
    >Interactive Update is not due available until 25 August.
    >So all is normal and as expected.

    My computer store friend told me he found this out from another store
    owner later this morning. Anyway, he also was given a URL to a MS
    site where the whole 266meg "IT" form of SP2 could be downloaded (I
    think this is what he called it).

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    Anyway, he downloaded it and tried it on the system that had gone
    completely down with the SP2 update that had come through the AU
    method and this time the install caused no problems (after a complete
    restoration). No indication why the first installation caused a
    complete system meltdown.

    The system that was updated and had NAV2004 go south is still a
    problem and he says as it looks right now, will need a complete
    restoration and second try at sp2 also.

    And the other 7 systems that were updated via AU have yet to show any
    problems....

    I turned AU back off and downloaded the 266meg file just to have it.
    I am still going to hold off until the air clears on this one.

    Thanks for the information on why AU is holding off for some..... I
    guess they have to do that in order to keep the bandwidth at a
    reasonable.... "width"....

    Regards,
    TR
  25. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    A place I came across on the web that has a very helpful checklist of
    things to do before attempting SP2... You might be familiar with it
    (G) but others that don't know of its existance might like it posted
    here.....

    Regards,
    TR
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:46:46 -0400, TR <fakeaddress@forspammers.com>
    wrote:

    >A follow up on the computer store with the 9 display computers that
    >had sp2 put on them...
    >
    >The one that just would not boot after... He finally did a full
    >restoration this morning, not hard since it had nothing more on it
    >than what was on the restoration. The computer is sitting there
    >waiting to be notified of the sp2 update since that is the only way
    >you can get the update (through the automatic notification). You
    >can't get it from the online update site.
    >
    >So.... they are waiting.... waiting..... waiting.......
    >
    >They have tried the time setting for the download and the chosen time
    >has passed by two times and nothing. He is wondering if they have
    >pulled the update or something.....
    >
    >So... I had turned auto notification off completely on this desktop,
    >opting to just check manually on a daily bases to see if there were
    >any criticals available. I turned auto notify back on and waited...
    >Nothing. I then also set a time to do the check and it passed with
    >nothing...
    >
    >Do you suppose they pulled it?
    >
    >Regards,
    >TR

    I downloaded the 'stand alone' version of the update - its big - about
    +260Mb but you can get form here

    http://www.filemirrors.com/search.src?file=WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe&size=278927592

    Note: Link may wrap

    Cheers
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:19:55 GMT, Justin Thompson
    <Justin.Thompson@removethisntlworld.com> wrote:

    >I downloaded the 'stand alone' version of the update - its big - about
    >+260Mb but you can get form here
    >http://www.filemirrors.com/search.src?file=WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe&size=278927592

    Got it later this morning Justin and also found out via Jupiter as to
    why some are getting the AU to go through and others are not....

    Also, the following gets you the same:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=049C9DBE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    Regards,
    TR
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Yep, I originally made that page for SP-1 and extensively changed it
    for SP-2.
    Also you may want to see the sister page:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm
    Especially just added FAQ #7 which I will add to once Microsoft gets
    back to me with more details, hopefully within a few hours.
    It seems there is more information that will clear up what seems to be
    a problem but may not be.

    --

    >A place I came across on the web that has a very helpful checklist of
    > things to do before attempting SP2... You might be familiar with it
    > (G) but others that don't know of its existance might like it posted
    > here.....
    >
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
    >
    > Regards,
    > TR
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    On 20 Aug 2004 13:46:24 -0700, samdotbyrams@hotmail.com (Sam Byrams)
    wrote:

    >There are other office productivity packages and they work about as
    >well as M$ Office. If you are running a business with employees you
    >don't regard as fungible cogs, getting them to use other programs is
    >pretty simple. They are generally far less expensive, often more
    >robust, and some probably easier to use.

    Lordy me - you need a reality check.
    MS have it right (from their perspective). Your theory falls down as
    soon as your business tries to collaborate with anyone else. As soon
    as you start sharing then the recipients cant read the stuff you send
    - or you cant read the stuff they send.

    So as a business, what you going to do? Then people get used to MS at
    work and feel comfortable with it and want to use/share at home.

    Before you know it you have a monolithic mega corp who has monopolised
    the market with a few insignificant people, milling around the
    periphery harping on about other packages, who have missed the plot
    completely.

    Cheers.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    "Justin Thompson" <Justin.Thompson@removethisntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > On 20 Aug 2004 13:46:24 -0700, samdotbyrams@hotmail.com (Sam Byrams)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>There are other office productivity packages and they work about as
    >>well as M$ Office. If you are running a business with employees you
    >>don't regard as fungible cogs, getting them to use other programs is
    >>pretty simple. They are generally far less expensive, often more
    >>robust, and some probably easier to use.
    >
    > Lordy me - you need a reality check.
    > MS have it right (from their perspective). Your theory falls down as
    > soon as your business tries to collaborate with anyone else. As soon
    > as you start sharing then the recipients cant read the stuff you send
    > - or you cant read the stuff they send.
    >
    > So as a business, what you going to do?

    Well, you could use OpenOffice. Compatibility is great (except on the
    database side). The price is right (FREE). I'm partially migrating my
    company to OpenOffice. Most will still use MS, but users who only need the
    occassional wordprocessing or spreadsheet will have OpenOffice.

    --
    "Hurricane" Andrew

    ------

    Freedom and fear are at war. The advance of human freedom -- the great
    achievement of our time, and the great hope of every time -- now depends on
    us... We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail.

    --President George W. Bush, September 20, 2001
  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    samdotbyrams@hotmail.com (Sam Byrams) scribbled some garbage about a
    problem in news:d792394d.0408201246.822da71@posting.google.com: and Dman
    answered with his usually sarcastic remark in the following manner!

    > There are other office productivity packages and they work about as
    > well as M$ Office. If you are running a business with employees you
    > don't regard as fungible cogs, getting them to use other programs is
    > pretty simple. They are generally far less expensive, often more
    > robust, and some probably easier to use.

    Apparently you are to daft to really understand how the real world works.
    Your output from a particular program has to be able to be used by THE
    OTHER PRODUCTIVITY PACKAGES you refer to. Yes there are other packages
    available and as soon as you get a few hundred million machines running
    them then you may have a somewhat valid point.
    But right now you are pissing in the wind with little information to
    really back it up.

    (:

    --
    ( ,&&&.
    ) .,.&&

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 00:13:25 GMT, "Andrew Rossetti"
    <arossetti@verizon.net> wrote:

    >Well, you could use OpenOffice. Compatibility is great (except on the
    >database side). The price is right (FREE). I'm partially migrating my
    >company to OpenOffice. Most will still use MS, but users who only need the
    >occassional wordprocessing or spreadsheet will have OpenOffice.
    Why noy ALL use OpenOffice? because it is not fully compatible thats
    why. So what you going to do when someone develops a nice productivity
    tool using some advanced feature of the MS package - you then have
    groups of employees who you cannot deploy to - or you have to upgrade
    and spend the money + all the cost of doing the upgrade and the
    management time.

    Also, you now you have 2 office productivity packages to support and
    then people who change roles need to be migrated to MS or away from MS
    to fit with their new requirements, then they need to be retrained (or
    at least are less effective while they learn best practice).

    I suspect you are a small company but belive me - I am responsible for
    managing such services in a company with 3500 employees (with total
    company of 70,000) and the TCO (Total cost of ownership) means your
    OpenOffice solution is not FREE.

    You have too much time on your hands if you want to mess around in
    this space.

    Cheers.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Latest import from Microsoft.

    Thank you for taking time to reply to me. I have received feedback from
    Microsoft product develop team that the behavior is by design. Therefore, we
    may not be able to change it.

    I understand this feature is important for you and I will check if we
    receive many similar issues in the next days. If so, I will submit a new
    report to Microsoft product develop team and check if they will develop an
    update to change this behavior.

    "Moe" <spamcop12000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Even Microsoft Outlook Express has a bug with the SP2 update. If an email
    > has a URL (link) in
    > it, the color of it will always be "BLUE" meaning that the site is not in
    > your history file. If you do a "FORWARD" or "REPLY" of that email and you
    > have been to that site before and it is still in your history file the
    > color
    > of the URL (link) will be "MAROON" (Standard default colors). The color
    > shown of a URL link worked correctly before the SP2 update. I noticed it
    > also did not work in the RC1 release. I did a re-install of XP Home
    > after the RC1 release and waited for the SP2 release.
    >
    > I have been in contact with Microsoft Support and they are looking into
    > it.
    > Support is not sure if it is a design change or a "BUG".
    >
    > "TR" <fakeaddress@forspammers.com> wrote in message
    >> The list of programs that will work "differently" after the service
    >> pack 2 has expanded to 200 applications on the eve of the consumer
    >> roll out of the update. (Microsoft's update troubles deepen further)
    >> http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=457
    >>
    >> Believe it or not... The List includes a lot of MS's own applications
    >> including Office!
    >>
    >> But what the hell... Bill's still going to release it and let the
    >> public sort it out as usual.

  34. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    > Apparently you are to daft to really understand how the real world works.
    > Your output from a particular program has to be able to be used by THE
    > OTHER PRODUCTIVITY PACKAGES you refer to. Yes there are other packages
    > available and as soon as you get a few hundred million machines running
    > them then you may have a somewhat valid point.
    > But right now you are pissing in the wind with little information to
    > really back it up.

    You are under a powerful narcotic, apparently manufactured in
    Redmond, that makes people unable to comprehend that other programs
    can generate, accept, and convert M$ Word and Excel files. They can.
    You do not need M$ Word to read Word files.

    Further, the only reason to produce a .doc file is so that you can
    Print the file and send it on as a physical letter. .pdf files work a
    lot better if you need a 'virtual document'.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<41256b53.28988920@news.charter.net>...
    > The real operating system being??? How abovt the operating system I WROTE from
    > scratch for the GE-225 compvter back in the mid-1960's? Instead of reading all
    > programs from pvnched cards as done previovsly, it loaded programs from a hard
    > disk the size of a pizza oven, with TWO refrigerator-sized controllers to handle
    > the disk. Is that real enovgh for yov?
    >
    > I hate to pvt some reality into yovr head, bvt the operating system is NOT the
    > reason for people making the choices they do in this millenivm. The SOFTWARE
    > APPLICATIONS are what drives people to choose compvter and operating system,
    > becavse people actvally vse software applications programs to do real work..
    >
    > Microsoft Office has 90% of the office prodvctivitiy marketplace. Show me an
    > operating system that can rvn Microsoft Office XP and that's the operating
    > system people will bvy. Oops! The only answer is Windows XP. Microsoft
    > actvally DOES have a monopoly. The US Dept of Jvstice fovnd that Microsoft has
    > a monopoly, bvt the Bvsh administration dropped the ball. Mario Monti's
    > Evropean Union anti-trvst vnit has also fovnd Microsoft gvilty of monopolistic
    > practices, and Microsoft is fighting that one like mad. If yov go back as long
    > as I do in this bvsiness, yov, too, wovld be able to tell trve stories of how
    > Microsoft bvilt its monopoly, pvtting other companies ovt of bvsiness with sharp
    > practices.

    Show me any company withovt "sharp practices". Most of M$'s
    competitors, in the end, pvt themselves ovt of bvsiness with
    stvpidity...certainly Commodore, Be, and several other system vendors
    did. And NeXT was headed that way when Steve Jobs bvllshitted Apple
    into bvying his company ovt. As someone else pointed ovt, NeXT was a
    patchwork of other people's intellectval property, and the royalty
    strvctvre was prohibitive. Apple was stvpid to adopt PostScript and
    other Adobe things withovt getting a piece of Adobe too big for
    Warnock to eat.NeXT perpetvated the error...jvst like Jobs' insistence
    on not vsing cooling fans and his preference for high resolvtion
    monochrome over slightly less detailed color.

    As far as Gateway goes, I think Ted Waitt loves a good ham-slamming
    from Bill Gates now and again. Probably why he cvts his ponytail-the
    hairs cvt into old Bill's knob. That's why M$ will modvlate their
    royalties from Gateway to keep them arovnd.
  36. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    "Latest import from Microsoft." Well put! Evidently written by someone with a
    poor command of the English language. Probably not speaking English as a first
    language. Could be one of the children left behind by the meaningless and
    non-funded "No Child Left Behind Act." Nice to know that Microsoft cares so
    much about the quality of all its products and services... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:26:25 -0400, "Moe" <spamcop12000@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Latest import from Microsoft.
    >

    >Thank you for taking time to reply to me. I have received feedback from
    >Microsoft product develop team that the behavior is by design. Therefore, we
    >may not be able to change it.
    >
    >I understand this feature is important for you and I will check if we
    >receive many similar issues in the next days. If so, I will submit a new
    >report to Microsoft product develop team and check if they will develop an
    >update to change this behavior.
    >

    >"Moe" <spamcop12000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Even Microsoft Outlook Express has a bug with the SP2 update. If an email
    >> has a URL (link) in
    >> it, the color of it will always be "BLUE" meaning that the site is not in
    >> your history file. If you do a "FORWARD" or "REPLY" of that email and you
    >> have been to that site before and it is still in your history file the
    >> color
    >> of the URL (link) will be "MAROON" (Standard default colors). The color
    >> shown of a URL link worked correctly before the SP2 update. I noticed it
    >> also did not work in the RC1 release. I did a re-install of XP Home
    >> after the RC1 release and waited for the SP2 release.
    >>
    >> I have been in contact with Microsoft Support and they are looking into
    >> it.
    >> Support is not sure if it is a design change or a "BUG".
    >>
    >> "TR" <fakeaddress@forspammers.com> wrote in message
    >>> The list of programs that will work "differently" after the service
    >>> pack 2 has expanded to 200 applications on the eve of the consumer
    >>> roll out of the update. (Microsoft's update troubles deepen further)
    >>> http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news.php?newsId=457
    >>>
    >>> Believe it or not... The List includes a lot of MS's own applications
    >>> including Office!
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130
    >>>
    >>> But what the hell... Bill's still going to release it and let the
    >>> public sort it out as usual.

  37. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    samdotbyrams@hotmail.com (Sam Byrams) scribbled some garbage about a
    problem in news:d792394d.0408211406.6923da36@posting.google.com: and
    Dman answered with his usually sarcastic remark in the following manner!

    >> Apparently you are to daft to really understand how the real world
    >> works. Your output from a particular program has to be able to be
    >> used by THE OTHER PRODUCTIVITY PACKAGES you refer to. Yes there are
    >> other packages available and as soon as you get a few hundred million
    >> machines running them then you may have a somewhat valid point.
    >> But right now you are pissing in the wind with little information to
    >> really back it up.
    >
    > You are under a powerful narcotic, apparently manufactured in
    > Redmond, that makes people unable to comprehend that other programs
    > can generate, accept, and convert M$ Word and Excel files. They can.
    > You do not need M$ Word to read Word files.
    >

    > Further, the only reason to produce a .doc file is so that you can
    > Print the file and send it on as a physical letter. .pdf files work a
    > lot better if you need a 'virtual document'.

    No, it's not a narcotic, it's just REALITY. Believe me I have no LOVE at
    all for M$ or anything related to them. I just know what happens in the
    real world.
    Why you would use a word .doc as your example is frivilous and doesn't
    really have a valid basis.
    I more refer to the Excel, Access, Powerpoint areas and their dominance
    and lack of useabilty with other programs. Notice I did not say 100% or
    the time.

    :0

    --
    ( ,&&&.
    ) .,.&&

Gateway Microsoft Windows XP Computers Product