DC Pentium might outperform 2P Xeon

Bitstring <1114404786.194095.319700@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, from
the wonderful person YKhan <yjkhan@gmail.com> said
>X-bit labs - Hardware news - Intel's Dual-Core Pentium Chips for
>Servers May Outstrip 2P Xeon Platforms.
>http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20050424064830.html
>
>Oh, the dilemnas Intel must be facing!

This reminds me of the good old days of 'military' CPUs and computers,
where the dilemma was always that the 'consumer grade' units (while not
being rad hard, NASA qualified, or whatever) would outperform the
military equivalents, and for 1% of the cost, owing to economies of
scale and (sensible) allocation of R&D budgets to what sold most.

ISTR somewhere around the Falklands war, the navy were reputed to have
pulled some 'military' computer hardware out of ships and replaced it
with a regular Vax, or PC, or something, with massive improvements all
round.

Firth the Itanium, now the Xeons......

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can