Transferring Files From One CPU to Another

I have an older Gateway with a zip drive but no CD burner (or CD-ROM drive, for
that matter -- it broke.) I need to get my files onto a brand spanking new CPU.
I wouldn't mind e-mailing them, but the programs I use require me to send each
individual folder in a master folder, rather than the master folder itself. My
goal is to get everything transferred in the same order I have it in now.

Does anyone have any ideas? I haven't attempted something like this before.

Thanks.

- Brian

Does the older Gateway have an Ethernet card? If so, far and away the easiest
method to transfer files is via a network connection. If not, Ethernet cards
are cheap and not too hard to install. Connect the two computers directly with
a Category 5 CROSSOVER cable, which means they need to be no more than 3-6 feet
apart. If you have an Ethernet hub or 4-port router like a LinkSys or Netgear,
use regular everyday Category 5 cables to connect the computers to the hub or
router. Set up the C: drive on the old computer as shared, make sure the
workgroup names are the same (XP uses "MSHOME" without quotes as a default
workgroup name) and go to it, dragging and dropping files and folders.

.... Ben Myers

On 18 Aug 2004 12:43:43 GMT, brilam@aol.com (Brian Lamendola) wrote:

>I have an older Gateway with a zip drive but no CD burner (or CD-ROM drive, for
>that matter -- it broke.) I need to get my files onto a brand spanking new CPU.
>I wouldn't mind e-mailing them, but the programs I use require me to send each
>individual folder in a master folder, rather than the master folder itself. My
>goal is to get everything transferred in the same order I have it in now.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas? I haven't attempted something like this before.
>
>Thanks.
>
>- Brian

Mike

Splendid

Ben Myers wrote:
> Does the older Gateway have an Ethernet card? If so, far and away the easiest
> method to transfer files is via a network connection. If not, Ethernet cards
> are cheap and not too hard to install. Connect the two computers directly with
> a Category 5 CROSSOVER cable, which means they need to be no more than 3-6 feet
> apart. If you have an Ethernet hub or 4-port router like a LinkSys or Netgear,
> use regular everyday Category 5 cables to connect the computers to the hub or
> router. Set up the C: drive on the old computer as shared, make sure the
> workgroup names are the same (XP uses "MSHOME" without quotes as a default
> workgroup name) and go to it, dragging and dropping files and folders.
>
> .... Ben Myers
>
> On 18 Aug 2004 12:43:43 GMT, brilam@aol.com (Brian Lamendola) wrote:
>

>>I have an older Gateway with a zip drive but no CD burner (or CD-ROM drive, for
>>that matter -- it broke.) I need to get my files onto a brand spanking new CPU.
>>I wouldn't mind e-mailing them, but the programs I use require me to send each
>>individual folder in a master folder, rather than the master folder itself. My
>>goal is to get everything transferred in the same order I have it in now.
>>
>>Does anyone have any ideas? I haven't attempted something like this before.
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>- Brian

There's a shareware program (free trial) called totalcommander.
It has a parallel port transfer mode.
You can also use laplink or any one of a dozen clones for serial
or parallel port transfer.
mike

--
Return address is VALID.