Intel cancells several Pentium 4/EM64T processors!

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003
Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

"Intel is going to stop the production of seven Pentium 4 processors with
EM64T."

"The processors to be cancelled include Pentium 4 3.20 GHz, 3.20F GHz, 3.40
GHz, 3.40F GHz 3.60 GHz, 3.60F GHz. 3.80F GHz (Prescott with 1MB L2). By the
way, the latter was launched only in January 2005, while the ones before the
latter - in September 2004. Such a short market life cycle is rather
unusual."

URL:http://www.digit-life.com/news.html?116468#116468

rms

rms skrev:
> "Intel is going to stop the production of seven Pentium 4 processors with
> EM64T."
>
> "The processors to be cancelled include Pentium 4 3.20 GHz, 3.20F GHz, 3.40
> GHz, 3.40F GHz 3.60 GHz, 3.60F GHz. 3.80F GHz (Prescott with 1MB L2). By the
> way, the latter was launched only in January 2005, while the ones before the
> latter - in September 2004. Such a short market life cycle is rather
> unusual."
>
> URL:http://www.digit-life.com/news.html?116468#116468
>
> rms

no, just renamed to p4 5xx series!!

CoCo wrote:
> rms skrev:
>
>> "Intel is going to stop the production of seven Pentium 4 processors
>> with EM64T."
>>
>> "The processors to be cancelled include Pentium 4 3.20 GHz, 3.20F GHz,
>> 3.40 GHz, 3.40F GHz 3.60 GHz, 3.60F GHz. 3.80F GHz (Prescott with 1MB
>> L2). By the way, the latter was launched only in January 2005, while
>> the ones before the latter - in September 2004. Such a short market
>> life cycle is rather unusual."
>>
>> URL:http://www.digit-life.com/news.html?116468#116468
>>
>> rms
>>

> no, just renamed to p4 5xx series!!
>
> URL:http://www.digit-life.com/news.html?116468#116468

That's what I figured from the original article.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking (More info?)

According to the May 2005 issue of 'Maximum PC', the new Pentium line
includes the Pentium D and the Pentium Extreme Edition (the '4' disappears),
both lines will be dual core. Intel says that single-core computing will
continue beyond at least 2006, without revealing details about the future of
the Pentium 4.

The first Pentium D CPU's will be based on the Prescott 90 nm core, but will
be dual core on one chip, each core having 1MB L2 cache, no hyper-threading,
an 800 MHz FSB, 64-bit support, NX support, and a 3.2 GHz CPU speed. The
die will be 260 square mm with 230 million transistors. The Pentium Extreme
Edition is differentiated by having hyper-threading on both cores.

So sayeth 'Maximum PC'.

Phil Weldon