Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to identify component on Dell Inspiron 5100 motherboard?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
May 2, 2005 4:12:04 PM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc (More info?)

Short Story

I'm trying to fix a Dell Inspiron 5100 motherboard. I believe that
there is a chip/component that was damaged. The package is damaged, so
I can't read all the codes. I have photos of the partial code and
location of the component: http://5100.iut.us

Long Story

My wife plugged a old Compaq power supply into her Dell Insipron 5100
(insert square peg in a round hole joke here) by accident. She noticed
a burning smell and unplugged it right away. The laptop still worked
running off the battery but would not work with only the AC adaptor or
with a dead battery and it won't charge the battery anymore. Dell
wants $399 for a new motherboard and I have to install it myself or
hire someone. I figure I can't loose much trying to fix it or
jerry-rig an AC adaptor to work through the batter connector.

I took the motherboard out and noticed that there is small chip-like
component that looks fried. I can't make out all the codes on it so I
am trying to figure out what the part codes are so I can try and order
a new one and solder it on.

I have some photos on my web site of the component and it's position on
the motherboard. If anyone can identify the part or has any ideas on
how I can get more information to identify it myself, please let me
know.

Photos: http://5100.iut.us

-Mike
May 3, 2005 12:03:49 AM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc (More info?)

I havent particularly worked on an inspiron motherboard, but I have repaired
several dead motherboards in the lattitude series. One thing I can tell you,
it IS a power transistor in an IC package. either an NPN or a PNP type.
chances are, when you test that transistor with a diode check of a DMM,
youll prolly get a short between all the pins, in which case the light will
immidiatly go out when you plug in the power adapter.

Anyway, the chip is most likely a regulator transistor. im not sure which
type, its either an NPN or a PNP. it could also be a voltage regulator IC,
but i doubt it.

Your best bet is to find another inspiron motherboard with a different
problem from ebay, and pulling the chip off of that board. like I did with
lattitude cpi's.

numbers arnt going to help you, as its most likely a factory code.


"Mike" <masnews01@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1115061124.578658.126820@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Short Story
>
> I'm trying to fix a Dell Inspiron 5100 motherboard. I believe that
> there is a chip/component that was damaged. The package is damaged, so
> I can't read all the codes. I have photos of the partial code and
> location of the component: http://5100.iut.us
>
> Long Story
>
> My wife plugged a old Compaq power supply into her Dell Insipron 5100
> (insert square peg in a round hole joke here) by accident. She noticed
> a burning smell and unplugged it right away. The laptop still worked
> running off the battery but would not work with only the AC adaptor or
> with a dead battery and it won't charge the battery anymore. Dell
> wants $399 for a new motherboard and I have to install it myself or
> hire someone. I figure I can't loose much trying to fix it or
> jerry-rig an AC adaptor to work through the batter connector.
>
> I took the motherboard out and noticed that there is small chip-like
> component that looks fried. I can't make out all the codes on it so I
> am trying to figure out what the part codes are so I can try and order
> a new one and solder it on.
>
> I have some photos on my web site of the component and it's position on
> the motherboard. If anyone can identify the part or has any ideas on
> how I can get more information to identify it myself, please let me
> know.
>
> Photos: http://5100.iut.us
>
> -Mike
>
May 3, 2005 12:07:07 AM

Archived from groups: sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc (More info?)

only thing I can make out, it looks to be a LM393, which is a dual
comparator.

oops. I was talking about that chip down to the left corner, which is a
transistor.



"Mike" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:FIvde.1471$Q.1305@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com...
> I havent particularly worked on an inspiron motherboard, but I have
repaired
> several dead motherboards in the lattitude series. One thing I can tell
you,
> it IS a power transistor in an IC package. either an NPN or a PNP type.
> chances are, when you test that transistor with a diode check of a DMM,
> youll prolly get a short between all the pins, in which case the light
will
> immidiatly go out when you plug in the power adapter.
>
> Anyway, the chip is most likely a regulator transistor. im not sure which
> type, its either an NPN or a PNP. it could also be a voltage regulator IC,
> but i doubt it.
>
> Your best bet is to find another inspiron motherboard with a different
> problem from ebay, and pulling the chip off of that board. like I did with
> lattitude cpi's.
>
> numbers arnt going to help you, as its most likely a factory code.
>
>
> "Mike" <masnews01@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:1115061124.578658.126820@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> > Short Story
> >
> > I'm trying to fix a Dell Inspiron 5100 motherboard. I believe that
> > there is a chip/component that was damaged. The package is damaged, so
> > I can't read all the codes. I have photos of the partial code and
> > location of the component: http://5100.iut.us
> >
> > Long Story
> >
> > My wife plugged a old Compaq power supply into her Dell Insipron 5100
> > (insert square peg in a round hole joke here) by accident. She noticed
> > a burning smell and unplugged it right away. The laptop still worked
> > running off the battery but would not work with only the AC adaptor or
> > with a dead battery and it won't charge the battery anymore. Dell
> > wants $399 for a new motherboard and I have to install it myself or
> > hire someone. I figure I can't loose much trying to fix it or
> > jerry-rig an AC adaptor to work through the batter connector.
> >
> > I took the motherboard out and noticed that there is small chip-like
> > component that looks fried. I can't make out all the codes on it so I
> > am trying to figure out what the part codes are so I can try and order
> > a new one and solder it on.
> >
> > I have some photos on my web site of the component and it's position on
> > the motherboard. If anyone can identify the part or has any ideas on
> > how I can get more information to identify it myself, please let me
> > know.
> >
> > Photos: http://5100.iut.us
> >
> > -Mike
> >
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2005 4:32:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

hello guys...i own a dell inspiron 5100. I want to buy a new
motherboard for it but i dont know which motherboard will fit
exactly. Dell guys are not willing to help me on this. Please let me
know a motherboard model number so i can buy it online.
Thanks

Zeeshan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2005 1:16:13 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Not willing to help? Go up the ladder!! Ask to speak to a supervisor.
But,anyway the maker and model number may be silk screened on the board.
It's usually between one of the card slots. Post any info you find.
Do you know at least what chipset it is?

"zasheikh" <zasheikh@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:428e1127$1_4@alt.athenanews.com...
> hello guys...i own a dell inspiron 5100. I want to buy a new
> motherboard for it but i dont know which motherboard will fit
> exactly. Dell guys are not willing to help me on this. Please let me
> know a motherboard model number so i can buy it online.
> Thanks
>
> Zeeshan
>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2005 1:16:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

"dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:xssje.798623$w62.610744@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Not willing to help? Go up the ladder!! Ask to speak to a supervisor.
> But,anyway the maker and model number may be silk screened on the board.
> It's usually between one of the card slots. Post any info you find.
> Do you know at least what chipset it is?
>
> "zasheikh" <zasheikh@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> news:428e1127$1_4@alt.athenanews.com...
>> hello guys...i own a dell inspiron 5100. I want to buy a new
>> motherboard for it but i dont know which motherboard will fit
>> exactly. Dell guys are not willing to help me on this. Please let me
>> know a motherboard model number so i can buy it online.
>> Thanks
>>
>> Zeeshan
>>
>
Why do you think that a generic third party mother board will fit in a Dell
system? I have heard that they don't. But that could be incorrect. If you
want a replacement motherboard from Dell, you should be able to figure out
the part number from the owner's manual.

del cecchi
>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2005 4:27:01 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On 20 May 2005 12:32:39 -0400, zasheikh@gmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
(zasheikh) wrote:

>hello guys...i own a dell inspiron 5100. I want to buy a new
>motherboard for it but i dont know which motherboard will fit
>exactly.


Uhh.. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Dell Inspiron a line of
laptops?!

You can't buy replacement motherboards for laptops, they're all
custom-fit.

> Dell guys are not willing to help me on this.

Not overly surprising. And please don't do what the other poster
suggested and "go up the ladder". All that will do is seek to piss
people in support off because it is something that they ABSOLUTELY CAN
NOT do. I don't care how far up the ladder you go, no one is allowed
to give you an answer (except perhaps the one I gave you above, ie
there are none).

-------------
Tony Hill
hilla <underscore> 20 <at> yahoo <dot> ca
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2005 12:32:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

Hi, I'm selling the motherboard you need on ebay.

Check post 6770923732 for more description.

Thanks.
!