Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

I only get about 1900 RPM out of my cpu fan. The manufacturers rated
speed is 5100 rpm. The manufacturer suggested it wasn't getting enough
power. What's a way to test this and correct it?

Jon Cosby

I would suggest a voltmeter and determine the voltage that is being
provided to the fan's plug. Not knowing the particular, I will guess it
is 5v, but this voltage should be identified somewhere on the MFG's
rating.

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

I don't have a case fan. I have one for the cpu cooler and one for the
power box. I didn't mention that it's a new cooler. The previous one
only got about 1300 rpm.

"Jon" <nospam@jcosby.com> wrote in message
> I only get about 1900 RPM out of my cpu fan. The manufacturers rated
> speed is 5100 rpm. The manufacturer suggested it wasn't getting
enough
> power. What's a way to test this and correct it?

Jon, 1900rpm sounds more like a case fan. Are you sure you're
measuring the right fan? Just a thought. 5100rpm should be pretty
audible, and the _absence_ of 5100rpm should be really noticeable.

Bitstring <1115408499.521502.24840@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, from
the wonderful person Jon <nospam@jcosby.com> said
>I only get about 1900 RPM out of my cpu fan. The manufacturers rated
>speed is 5100 rpm. The manufacturer suggested it wasn't getting enough
>power. What's a way to test this and correct it?

If your motherboard has speed-fan, or cool-n-quiet, or whatever this
weeks flavour is called, then it's quite acceptable for the fan to spin
slower (and quieter) if the CPU doesn't need more cooling. Saves power
too. There are no brownie points for 'getting 5100 rpm' out of your fan
if it ain't needed.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

I don't think that's the case, it doesn't seem to matter if the cpu
temp is 30 degrees or 50 degrees, the fan speed is about the same.

Jon

Bitstring <1115492866.943927.322550@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, from
the wonderful person Jon <nospam@jcosby.com> said
>I don't think that's the case, it doesn't seem to matter if the cpu
>temp is 30 degrees or 50 degrees, the fan speed is about the same.

Both those CPU temps are perfectly acceptable, so there'd be no need, or
interest, in turning the fan speed up. Run something like Prime95
Torture test .. that'll generally raise the temperature 'somewhat'.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can