ram compatability

I have a computer that is running 128 MB SDRAM PC100. I want to add
some RAM to it and I am wondering what the requirements are for
compatability. I was told that they can be different speeds (ie pc100
and pc133), but I put in some 133 with the old 100 and it doesn't work.
I am wonderig if the new RAM is bad or if they in fact do have to be
the same speed or is it something different altogether. Please help.

Thank You in Advance,
Dustin
2 answers Last reply
More about compatability

    On 7 May 2005 12:12:35 -0700, dmcquay@gmail.com wrote:

    >I have a computer that is running 128 MB SDRAM PC100. I want to add
    >some RAM to it and I am wondering what the requirements are for
    >compatability. I was told that they can be different speeds (ie pc100
    >and pc133), but I put in some 133 with the old 100 and it doesn't work.
    > I am wonderig if the new RAM is bad or if they in fact do have to be
    >the same speed or is it something different altogether. Please help.

    Most likely something different altogether. There are a number of
    potential factors that can affect compatibility of memory. I would
    tend to echo the other poster(s) suggestion to just go to
    www.crucial.com, plug in your computer/motherboard model and let them
    take the guesswork out of all of this. Not only will you end up with
    memory that is guaranteed to work in your system, it's also good
    quality stuff backed up by a lifetime warranty.

    That being said, the most common cause of memory compatibilities has
    to do with memory chip density. It's almost certain that you're 128MB
    memory module was made using either 16 chips of 64Mbits a piece of 8
    chips of 128Mbits a piece. A lot of newer memory (particularly if
    it's 256MB modules or larger) is made using either 256Mbit or 512Mbit
    chips, which may well be incompatible with your motherboard. There
    are also some timing issues that can affect compatibility and finally
    it is indeed possible that it's just a plain old dead module that
    you've got.

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    Go to Crucial.com and go through thier "configurator". The problem you are
    having is the two ram sticks are different densities. Some SDRAM
    motherboards only accept low density sdram and certain sizes. Some won't
    even use 128M sticks.
    It would help if you posted your motherboard model and type(P3,Athlon,XP
    etc.)

    <dmcquay@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have a computer that is running 128 MB SDRAM PC100. I want to add
    > some RAM to it and I am wondering what the requirements are for
    > compatability. I was told that they can be different speeds (ie pc100
    > and pc133), but I put in some 133 with the old 100 and it doesn't work.
    > I am wonderig if the new RAM is bad or if they in fact do have to be
    > the same speed or is it something different altogether. Please help.
    >
    > Thank You in Advance,
    > Dustin

CPUs Internet Explorer RAM