Verizon Raises GSM Rates

According to the latest billing notice, For those with Worldphones, Verizon is
raising GSM roaming rates to 2.49/4.49 a minute, depending on the country. Text
messages are also being raised.

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
> According to the latest billing notice, For those with Worldphones, Verizon is
> raising GSM roaming rates to 2.49/4.49 a minute, depending on the country. Text
> messages are also being raised.

The best bet for travelers is never to use a US phone abroad anyhow.

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>The best bet for travelers is never to use a US phone abroad anyhow.

Well yes, but some people don't have an option. They have to be available and
providing an alternate international number to every potential caller isn't
always an option.

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
> Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
>

>>The best bet for travelers is never to use a US phone abroad anyhow.
>

> Well yes, but some people don't have an option. They have to be available and
> providing an alternate international number to every potential caller isn't
> always an option.

I think Steve meant a US-based cellular service, not the hardware. With
an unlocked tri- or quad-band GSM phone, one can get fairly reasonable
costs by buying a pre-paid local SIM card for the country/region one is
working in...

RWEmerson <foolish_consistency@hobgoblin.com> wrote:

>I think Steve meant a US-based cellular service, not the hardware. With
>an unlocked tri- or quad-band GSM phone, one can get fairly reasonable
>costs by buying a pre-paid local SIM card for the country/region one is
>working in...

Right, but a new SIM card means a different phone number. If a person has
published or otherwise let a number of people know their domestic number, a new
international number may not be an option.

You should try:

1] Forward VZW number to a local vonage or other VOIP place; get charged
normal airtime
2] Forward vonage # to international random number using cheap
international rates.

Josh

RWEmerson wrote:
> Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
>> Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
>>

>>> The best bet for travelers is never to use a US phone
>>> abroad anyhow.
>>

>> Well yes, but some people don't have an option. They
>> have to be available and providing an alternate
>> international number to every potential caller isn't
>> always an option.
>
> I think Steve meant a US-based cellular service, not the
> hardware. With an unlocked tri- or quad-band GSM phone,
> one can get fairly reasonable costs by buying a pre-paid
> local SIM card for the country/region one is working in...

but what he meant is he needs his local number to work
when he's over there. Customer calls the same number
he always calls and your phone rings in Paris.

-Quick

Frankster

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

> but what he meant is he needs his local number to work
> when he's over there. Customer calls the same number
> he always calls and your phone rings in Paris.
>
> -Quick

Paris is line-of-sight, right? LOL

-Frank

Frankster wrote:
>>but what he meant is he needs his local number to work
>>when he's over there. Customer calls the same number
>>he always calls and your phone rings in Paris.
>>
>>-Quick
>

> Paris is line-of-sight, right?

Yeah, but with those .6-watt toyphones, you'll never be able to connect
across the pond to a US tower...

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

RWEmerson <foolish_consistency@hobgoblin.com> wrote in

> I think Steve meant a US-based cellular service, not the hardware. With
> an unlocked tri- or quad-band GSM phone, one can get fairly reasonable
> costs by buying a pre-paid local SIM card for the country/region one is
> working in...

If you contact the hotel you're staying in overseas, most will get you a
good, not great, deal on a local cellphone to use while you're staying
there. One call back to the office to forward your calls to that number
puts you back online in seconds.

--
Larry

Larry wrote:

> If you contact the hotel you're staying in overseas, most will get you a
> good, not great, deal on a local cellphone to use while you're staying
> there. One call back to the office to forward your calls to that number
> puts you back online in seconds.

This is true, and if the person who buys long distance for your company is
shrewd, you can generally get a nice low per-minute rate on LD from your office.

You don't even need a separate phone. Take your phone and get a SIM in Europe.

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in

> .6-watt

..2 watt or .15 watt toyphones, now.....tinytoy phones.

--
Larry

RWEmerson wrote:

>> Well yes, but some people don't have an option. They have to be
>> available and
>> providing an alternate international number to every potential caller
>> isn't
>> always an option.
>
> I think Steve meant a US-based cellular service, not the hardware. With
> an unlocked tri- or quad-band GSM phone, one can get fairly reasonable
> costs by buying a pre-paid local SIM card for the country/region one is
> working in...

that still doesn't reolve the problem. If someone the US wants to get a
ahold of you, they are likely to call your US number, which will not
connect to your GSM phone if you have a SIM from abroad installed.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.