2Ghz Athlon now coming up in bios safe mode with frequency..

Hi,

I built up a PC based on a 2Ghz Athlon chip (AXDC2400DKV3C)and an ASUS
MB. It's been going great for months.

Suddenly it's started to hang during booting. Then on next boot it goes
into the BIOS safe mode and says that it hung last time because of
incorrect CPU frequency settings.

They are not incorrect. They are the same they have always been. 133/33
with 15x multiplier.

I have disconnected everything from the mother board (including all
drives) except the video card just to be sure nothing external is
causing this.

Any ideas what this indicates? The fact that the BIOS screen comes up
at all proved the CPU is working to some degree?

Is the CPU on it's last legs? Will I need to replace the CPU or MB or
both?

Thanks

William South <cardiganboy@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any ideas what this indicates? The fact that the BIOS screen
> comes up at all proved the CPU is working to some degree?

Yes. The CPU is still working, but seems to overheat fast.
I would suspect your heatsink -- improper grease, mounted
backwards or somehow come loose. Other things like broken fan
or poor case airflow don't produce lockups quite as quickly
(minutes vs seconds).

-- Robert