Intel concedes server business to AMD ;-)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

The actual title of the article is "Intel playing catch-up to AMD
business"

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2005/050905-intel-amd.html

<quote>

Intel's top server executive recently acknowledged the disparity
between his company's server processor road maps and Advanced Micro
Devices, but said Intel plans to close the gap soon with a revitalized
product line.

<snip>

Users will find dual-core Opteron servers intriguing when compared
with single-core Xeon servers, Gelsinger says. "There will clearly be
some tire-kickers, and maybe some losses," he says, referring to Intel
customers who might switch to servers based on AMD's chips.

However, enterprise customers are generally conservative when it comes
to technology changes, Gelsinger says. Users interested in servers
with four or more processors currently have the option of Intel's new
Truland platform, which will protect any current investments by
letting customers plug dual-core Xeon chips into their current Truland
servers when these chips become available next year, he says.

</quote>

"Itanium" nowhere to be found in the article.

RM

Robert Myers wrote:

> "Itanium" nowhere to be found in the article.
>
> RM

How about in Intel's own resource centre? Looks like Intel is still
trying to push Itanium over Xeon at every opportunity.

64-bit Server Resource Center and 64-bit Demo for Processors
http://developer.intel.com/business/bss/products/server/64-bit/resource_center/64-bit.htm?iid=hwd_64bitpage_64bit+index_rhc1&

Yousuf Khan

On 5/9/2005 20:15, Robert Myers wrote:
> The actual title of the article is "Intel playing catch-up to AMD
> business"

Well, we can only hope for this sooner, rather than later:
<http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23055>

I've found it especially intriguing that Supermicro now offers AMD based
products.

~Jason

http://www.usenet.com

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Tue, 10 May 2005 11:16:41 -0400, Jason Gurtz <no@noemail.com>
wrote:

>On 5/9/2005 20:15, Robert Myers wrote:
>> The actual title of the article is "Intel playing catch-up to AMD
>> business"
>
>Well, we can only hope for this sooner, rather than later:
><http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23055>

Time to take out earthquake insurance. An Intel interview with very
little handwaving and an Inquirer article that offers a positive take
on upcoming Intel offerings.

>I've found it especially intriguing that Supermicro now offers AMD based
>products.

Facilitated, I am sure, by Intel's "we don't need you" attitude.

RM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Tue, 10 May 2005 02:12:21 -0400, Yousuf Khan <bbbl67@ezrs.com>
wrote:

>Robert Myers wrote:
>

>> "Itanium" nowhere to be found in the article.
>>

>How about in Intel's own resource centre? Looks like Intel is still
>trying to push Itanium over Xeon at every opportunity.
>
>64-bit Server Resource Center and 64-bit Demo for Processors
>http://developer.intel.com/business/bss/products/server/64-bit/resource_center/64-bit.htm?iid=hwd_64bitpage_64bit+index_rhc1&

I don't see any sign of Intel backing away from Itanium. I was just
noticing an astonishing lack of Wizard of Ozry.

RM

Robert Myers wrote:
> The actual title of the article is "Intel playing catch-up to AMD
> business"
>
> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2005/050905-intel-amd.html

Tom's Hardware Guide Processors: AMD's Dual Core Athlon 64 X2 Strikes
Hard - Here Comes The King: Athlon 64 X2 Reviewed
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050509/index.html

AMD's new dual-core CPUs trounce Intel's - CNET.com
http://www.cnet.com/4520-6022_1-6217968-1.html?tag=prmo1

And here's Intel's response:

» Intel on AMD's early dual-core wins: "Not so fast" | Between
the Lines | ZDNet.com
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/index.php?p=1356

Yousuf Khan

On 11 May 2005 13:05:19 -0700, "Yousuf Khan" <yjkhan@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Robert Myers wrote:
>> The actual title of the article is "Intel playing catch-up to AMD
>> business"
>>
>> http://www.networkworld.com/news/2005/050905-intel-amd.html
>
>Tom's Hardware Guide Processors: AMD's Dual Core Athlon 64 X2 Strikes
>Hard - Here Comes The King: Athlon 64 X2 Reviewed
>http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050509/index.html
>
>AMD's new dual-core CPUs trounce Intel's - CNET.com
>http://www.cnet.com/4520-6022_1-6217968-1.html?tag=prmo1
>
>And here's Intel's response:
>
>» Intel on AMD's early dual-core wins: "Not so fast" | Between
>the Lines | ZDNet.com
>http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/index.php?p=1356

Wow.. that's an extraordinarily WEAK response by Intel.

"AMD's integrated memory controller is bad because a year from now
OEMs will have to requalify their systems for DDR2 memory"?

Intel better hope that they've got a better answer than that!

-------------
Tony Hill

On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:08:34 -0400, Tony Hill
<hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> wrote:

>Wow.. that's an extraordinarily WEAK response by Intel.
>
>"AMD's integrated memory controller is bad because a year from now
>OEMs will have to requalify their systems for DDR2 memory"?
>
>Intel better hope that they've got a better answer than that!

I'd say it's a fairly shrewd response, and it's more than what you
quoted:

1. AMD has made a short-sighted decision by sticking with DDR when
DDR2 is the longer term solution. Your response: buyers don't or
shouldn't care, because all the hassle will be someone else's problem.
My only quibble with Intel's response would be that they didn't
_quite_ close the loop by saying: you remember how hard it's been
sometimes to get platforms for AMD processors you could really count
on? Each time you change memory technology, you have to start over.
FUD? Of course. This is marketing.

2. AMD processors don't have hyperthreading. Hyperthreading is
already in the benchmarks? Well, yes, but one of these days, they're
going to figure out how really to take advantage of HT. Honest.
Meanwhilst, the manager stuck with Intel processors that are
outperformed in benchmarks can say, "Yeah, but because of
hyperthreading, this is really like an 8-way box."

3. AMD doesn't have the capacity to be Intel. That's the one that
really counts for managers with their thinking caps on.

RM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

> 64 bit Linux has been available for some time. Now maybe perhaps the

> compilers could be claimed to not be up to snuff for the weirdness
that is
> Itanium, but that is pretty weak. What's your next excuse?

How is that weak? It's a well known fact that not having a good tool
chain can be a serious issue. I mean, let's be honest, when MIPS,
POWERPC, SPARC etc. debuted, it was pretty darn obvious that their
compilers were far less mature than those for S/360; don't you think
that made adoption of those architectures a little hard to swallow for
those used to S/360's development tools?

> It still isn't clear that the Itanium architecture was a good idea,
or
> whether it was Intel's PS/2.

Agreed...it will take time to tell.

David

Robert Myers wrote:
> 2. AMD processors don't have hyperthreading. Hyperthreading is
> already in the benchmarks? Well, yes, but one of these days, they're
> going to figure out how really to take advantage of HT. Honest.
> Meanwhilst, the manager stuck with Intel processors that are
> outperformed in benchmarks can say, "Yeah, but because of
> hyperthreading, this is really like an 8-way box."

Well, I just posted a story talking about how the Netburst architecture
is likely going to disappear by 2006. Without Netburst's long
pipelines, Hyperthreading becomes difficult with the short-pipeline
architecture that's going to replace it. But Intel is going to try it
anyways.

> 3. AMD doesn't have the capacity to be Intel. That's the one that
> really counts for managers with their thinking caps on.

For servers, AMD has the capacity right now to supply server chips for
the entire market including the non-x86 server market. Of course,
people in the non-x86 market aren't going to be able to switch that
simply.

Yousuf Khan

Robert Myers wrote:
> Should be posting to comp.arch so I could get major flames.

Oh please, copy the thread over there if you like, but don't crosspost
it there! That way we don't have to deal with comp.arch regulars over
here.

Yousuf Khan

On 5/12/2005 09:53, Del Cecchi wrote:

> 64 bit Linux has been available for some time. Now maybe perhaps the
> compilers could be claimed to not be up to snuff for the weirdness that is
> Itanium, but that is pretty weak. What's your next excuse?

Sure, 64-bit Osen have been available for a bit. But, how many 64-bit
applications--designed for 64-bit--are you running?

Yea, then there's the compiler problem...

~Jason

http://www.usenet.com

Jason Gurtz wrote:
> Sure, 64-bit Osen have been available for a bit. But, how many
64-bit
> applications--designed for 64-bit--are you running?
>
> Yea, then there's the compiler problem...

If the OS is Linux, then probably all of the applications are already
64-bit, whether they needed to be or not. It's simply a matter of
recompiling under Linux. A bit more difficult under Windows.

The Windows experience is going to be much more interesting to watch.
This is really what x64 was designed to address -- the ability to
seamlessly run 32-bit apps under 64-bit OSes. In the closed Windows
world, recompiling isn't all that simple, so the chip has to take the
responsibility to handle a variety of code bases.

And Microsoft hasn't made life easier on itself by not supporting
32-bit drivers alongside 32-bit apps. That means the class of software
that is the most tricky to create and maintain (i.e. device drivers) is
the one class of software that definitely has to be recompiled in order
to even work in the 64-bit OS.

Yousuf Khan

"David Kanter" <dkanter@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> 64 bit Linux has been available for some time. Now maybe perhaps the
>
>> compilers could be claimed to not be up to snuff for the weirdness
> that is
>> Itanium, but that is pretty weak. What's your next excuse?
>
> How is that weak? It's a well known fact that not having a good tool
> chain can be a serious issue. I mean, let's be honest, when MIPS,
> POWERPC, SPARC etc. debuted, it was pretty darn obvious that their
> compilers were far less mature than those for S/360; don't you think
> that made adoption of those architectures a little hard to swallow for
> those used to S/360's development tools?
>
>> It still isn't clear that the Itanium architecture was a good idea,
> or
>> whether it was Intel's PS/2.
>
> Agreed...it will take time to tell.
>
> David

It's weak because they have had what, 4 or 5 years to get some compilers out
there that work. If they haven't yet succeeded in doing so either it is
much harder than other architectures, lending credence to the idea that
Itanium was a bad idea or Intel is not trying very hard to make it happen,
lending credence to the idea that they are inept.

I know that there is not much demand for Itanium stuff, but some cash from
HP and Intel and some contibutions to GCC or whatever would go a long way in
enhancing the offerings.

del cecchi

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Thu, 12 May 2005 11:07:14 -0500, "Del Cecchi"
<dcecchi.nospam@att.net> wrote:

>"David Kanter" <dkanter@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> 64 bit Linux has been available for some time. Now maybe perhaps the
>>
>>> compilers could be claimed to not be up to snuff for the weirdness
>> that is
>>> Itanium, but that is pretty weak. What's your next excuse?
>>
>> How is that weak? It's a well known fact that not having a good tool
>> chain can be a serious issue. I mean, let's be honest, when MIPS,
>> POWERPC, SPARC etc. debuted, it was pretty darn obvious that their
>> compilers were far less mature than those for S/360; don't you think
>> that made adoption of those architectures a little hard to swallow for
>> those used to S/360's development tools?
>>
>>> It still isn't clear that the Itanium architecture was a good idea,
>> or
>>> whether it was Intel's PS/2.
>>
>> Agreed...it will take time to tell.
>>

>It's weak because they have had what, 4 or 5 years to get some compilers out
>there that work. If they haven't yet succeeded in doing so either it is
>much harder than other architectures, lending credence to the idea that
>Itanium was a bad idea or Intel is not trying very hard to make it happen,
>lending credence to the idea that they are inept.

Almost anybody would have to vote for inept at this point wouldn't
they? Were I professer at the Harvard Business School, I'd probably
be looking around for some smart young whip to write a thesis on how
this always happens to technology companies, with Intel (and
Microsoft, btw) as only the latest case studies.

A software type (take it easy, Keith, he worked for a do-it-all chip
company that I'll bet you've worked with, but no names) opined to me
recently that AMD's advantage is that they really have no choice but
to get outside help, so they get it. My interpolation is that, given
the state of the industry, the best is generally available for hire by
AMD unless they happen to work for Intel.

I'd love to be able to go back and look at the historical documents at
Intel. What did they know and when did they know it? Even knowing
what they _thought_ they knew would make a fascinating read.

It isn't so much that they didn't get it right in four or five
years...the problem is that hard. It's hard to comprehend what they
were doing in terms of risk management, though. Not much, apparently.

>I know that there is not much demand for Itanium stuff, but some cash from
>HP and Intel and some contibutions to GCC or whatever would go a long way in
>enhancing the offerings.

There was recently a Gelato meeting dealing with getting some serious
help for gcc with Itanium. I haven't followed the details since the
meeting to see whether anything really happened.

I'll venture that no compiler solution to Itanium's problems is
forthcoming. Not that significant progress isn't possible. It just
won't be enough.

That means death for Itanium? I'm less sure of that. It depends on
how adventurous Intel is willing to be. The fact that execution pipes
stall frequently really shouldn't be a serious problem for server
applications. The idea that you have to keep a single pipe stuffed
full and running all the time is mainframe and HPC thinking.

The only thing Intel really has to preserve is the ISA. If you can
add more execution paths without blowing the power consumption through
the roof, you should be able to make practically any architecture get
any kind of throughput you want as a multi-threaded server.

....That's the path (lots of threads, who cares if they stall) I
thought Intel was going to take with the core that I gather was being
designed at Marlborough. That core, apparently, is dead, so who knows
what Intel is going to do.

On 12 May 2005 10:14:18 -0700, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

>Robert Myers wrote:
>> Should be posting to comp.arch so I could get major flames.
>
>Oh please, copy the thread over there if you like, but don't crosspost
>it there! That way we don't have to deal with comp.arch regulars over
>here.

It was a joke, Yousuf.

Some of the participants here are well-respected comp.arch regulars in
any case.

RM

On 12 May 2005 09:56:25 -0700, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

>Robert Myers wrote:
>> 2. AMD processors don't have hyperthreading. Hyperthreading is
>> already in the benchmarks? Well, yes, but one of these days, they're
>> going to figure out how really to take advantage of HT. Honest.
>> Meanwhilst, the manager stuck with Intel processors that are
>> outperformed in benchmarks can say, "Yeah, but because of
>> hyperthreading, this is really like an 8-way box."
>
>Well, I just posted a story talking about how the Netburst architecture
>is likely going to disappear by 2006. Without Netburst's long
>pipelines, Hyperthreading becomes difficult with the short-pipeline
>architecture that's going to replace it. But Intel is going to try it
>anyways.

I'm feeling a little slow today. There isn't nearly the payoff for
hyperthreading when things like branch mispredicts are less expensive
(in clock ticks) because of a shorter pipeline, but that doesn't mean
hyperthreading is harder to implement.

Looking at Intel's marketing materials and comparing the disappointing
payoff (hyperthreading doesn't seem to improve units of useful work
per watt or per transistor), I conclude that hyperthreading is a
marketing gimmick and that Intel knows that, so it doesn't much matter
what the real payoff is, as long as it isn't too negative.

RM

keith

On Thu, 12 May 2005 10:22:19 -0400, Jason Gurtz wrote:

> On 5/12/2005 09:53, Del Cecchi wrote:
>
>> 64 bit Linux has been available for some time. Now maybe perhaps the
>> compilers could be claimed to not be up to snuff for the weirdness that is
>> Itanium, but that is pretty weak. What's your next excuse?
>
> Sure, 64-bit Osen have been available for a bit. But, how many 64-bit
> applications--designed for 64-bit--are you running?

Designed? Why? All the apps here are 64 bit.

> Yea, then there's the compiler problem...

Why is that a problem? x86 is rather well known. Doubling the register
width (and more importantly depth) isn't rocket-surgery.

Are you piling a little more FUD here?

--
Keith

keith

On Thu, 12 May 2005 12:46:19 -0400, Robert Myers wrote:

> On Thu, 12 May 2005 11:07:14 -0500, "Del Cecchi"
> <dcecchi.nospam@att.net> wrote:
>

>>"David Kanter" <dkanter@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> that is
>>>
>>> How is that weak? It's a well known fact that not having a good tool
>>> chain can be a serious issue. I mean, let's be honest, when MIPS,
>>> POWERPC, SPARC etc. debuted, it was pretty darn obvious that their
>>> compilers were far less mature than those for S/360; don't you think
>>> that made adoption of those architectures a little hard to swallow for
>>> those used to S/360's development tools?

>>> or
>>>
>>> Agreed...it will take time to tell.
>>>

>>It's weak because they have had what, 4 or 5 years to get some compilers out
>>there that work. If they haven't yet succeeded in doing so either it is
>>much harder than other architectures, lending credence to the idea that
>>Itanium was a bad idea or Intel is not trying very hard to make it happen,
>>lending credence to the idea that they are inept.
>>
> Almost anybody would have to vote for inept at this point wouldn't
> they? Were I professer at the Harvard Business School, I'd probably
> be looking around for some smart young whip to write a thesis on how
> this always happens to technology companies, with Intel (and
> Microsoft, btw) as only the latest case studies.

I'd read it, but I doubt you'd find enough people that would be willing to
talk to get enough information to fill a comic book. I do believe Intel
will try to bury the details (when was the first time you hread about
FS?)

> A software type (take it easy, Keith, he worked for a do-it-all chip
> company that I'll bet you've worked with, but no names) opined to me
> recently that AMD's advantage is that they really have no choice but to
> get outside help, so they get it. My interpolation is that, given the
> state of the industry, the best is generally available for hire by AMD
> unless they happen to work for Intel.

With? Me? I've never worked *with* any "do-it-all chip company". But I
do have to agree WRT AMD. Pretty smart cookies, eh?

> I'd love to be able to go back and look at the historical documents at
> Intel. What did they know and when did they know it? Even knowing what
> they _thought_ they knew would make a fascinating read.

Do you really thing these things exist? Come on, no one allows records to
live past their useful life. Sockholders could find 'em in a discovery
action. I'd like to know what and when HP figured it out. ;-)

> It isn't so much that they didn't get it right in four or five
> years...the problem is that hard. It's hard to comprehend what they
> were doing in terms of risk management, though. Not much, apparently.

Of course it's hard. The folks on CA and AFC were laughing at the
notion that it was even possible, given the state of the art.
These things had been tried before, and many in thouse gorups
were there when it was tried. Evidently Intel bet against the known art,
and lost.

>>I know that there is not much demand for Itanium stuff, but some cash
>>from HP and Intel and some contibutions to GCC or whatever would go a
>>long way in enhancing the offerings.
>>
> There was recently a Gelato meeting dealing with getting some serious
> help for gcc with Itanium. I haven't followed the details since the
> meeting to see whether anything really happened.
>
> I'll venture that no compiler solution to Itanium's problems is
> forthcoming. Not that significant progress isn't possible. It just
> won't be enough.

Gee, I heard that on CA at *least* five years ago. Some things never
change.

> That means death for Itanium? I'm less sure of that. It depends on how
> adventurous Intel is willing to be. The fact that execution pipes stall
> frequently really shouldn't be a serious problem for server
> applications. The idea that you have to keep a single pipe stuffed full
> and running all the time is mainframe and HPC thinking.

What is the incentive for anyone to move their application to Itanic?
It's a business issue. What is the payoff?

> The only thing Intel really has to preserve is the ISA. If you can add
> more execution paths without blowing the power consumption through the
> roof, you should be able to make practically any architecture get any
> kind of throughput you want as a multi-threaded server.

The only thing Intel *has* is the ISA. Why is that an issue for Intel's
customers? What does that benefit *them*?

> ...That's the path (lots of threads, who cares if they stall) I thought
> Intel was going to take with the core that I gather was being designed
> at Marlborough. That core, apparently, is dead, so who knows what Intel
> is going to do.

I've been wondering about that for three years.

> Should be posting to comp.arch so I could get major flames.

Whatever, but they're more into software ickyness. ;-)

--
Keith

On Thu, 12 May 2005 08:27:32 -0400, Robert Myers
<rmyers1400@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:08:34 -0400, Tony Hill
><hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> wrote:
>

>>Wow.. that's an extraordinarily WEAK response by Intel.
>>
>>"AMD's integrated memory controller is bad because a year from now
>>OEMs will have to requalify their systems for DDR2 memory"?
>>
>>Intel better hope that they've got a better answer than that!
>>

>I'd say it's a fairly shrewd response, and it's more than what you
>quoted:
>
>1. AMD has made a short-sighted decision by sticking with DDR when
>DDR2 is the longer term solution. Your response: buyers don't or
>shouldn't care, because all the hassle will be someone else's problem.

Not at all, more that you WILL have to change the platform in a year
anyway, regardless of whether it's Intel or AMD, DDR, DDR2 or
whatever. Platforms do change, and they change regularly.

I like how Intel conveniently left out that their customers will need
to change their platform for dual-core chips while AMD customers will
not.

>My only quibble with Intel's response would be that they didn't
>_quite_ close the loop by saying: you remember how hard it's been
>sometimes to get platforms for AMD processors you could really count
>on? Each time you change memory technology, you have to start over.
>FUD? Of course. This is marketing.

I still say that it's extremely weak FUD given that DDR2 currently
does nothing other than add ~$100 to the price tag of the system.
Even DDR2-667 hasn't really shown to improve performance over DDR400
by any noticeable margin. Hmm, what a surprise, increasing bandwidth
doesn't help any when you also increase latency.

As for AMD platforms, well now that's another question, but this FUD
is nothing new. AMD (and OEMs using AMD processors) have been dealing
with this "problem" (sometimes real, though usually just perceived)
ever since the first Athlon came out back in '90.

>2. AMD processors don't have hyperthreading. Hyperthreading is
>already in the benchmarks? Well, yes, but one of these days, they're
>going to figure out how really to take advantage of HT. Honest.
>Meanwhilst, the manager stuck with Intel processors that are
>outperformed in benchmarks can say, "Yeah, but because of
>hyperthreading, this is really like an 8-way box."

I didn't even comment on this because it was just stupid beyond
belief. First off, Intel chips don't have hyperthreading either, or
at least not their dual-core chips other than the Extremely Expensive
Edition.

Ohh, and the whole thing about how Hyperthreading will show MORE of an
advantage when you get multiple cores vs. single core chips. Whoever
said that was just smoking the crack-pipe I think.

>3. AMD doesn't have the capacity to be Intel. That's the one that
>really counts for managers with their thinking caps on.

Now this is the kicker, though again it's the same argument that AMD
has been dealing with since ~'97 when Fab25 came on-line for their K6
chips. Surprisingly, for the past 5 years it has been INTEL, and not
AMD, that has had product shortage problems. After yelling and
screaming for 7 or 8 years about AMD not being able to deliver only to
see AMD do a better job of delivering products than Intel, everyone
except Dell has stopped listening.

-------------
Tony Hill

"Tony Hill" <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

> I still say that it's extremely weak FUD given that DDR2 currently
> does nothing other than add ~$100 to the price tag of the system.
> Even DDR2-667 hasn't really shown to improve performance over DDR400
> by any noticeable margin. Hmm, what a surprise, increasing
bandwidth
> doesn't help any when you also increase latency.

Didn't another company discover that a while back? Brambuss,
something like that? ;-)

On Thu, 12 May 2005 21:38:18 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>On Thu, 12 May 2005 12:46:19 -0400, Robert Myers wrote:
>

>> I'd love to be able to go back and look at the historical documents at
>> Intel. What did they know and when did they know it? Even knowing what
>> they _thought_ they knew would make a fascinating read.
>
>Do you really thing these things exist?

Tech types are packrats. No staff type ever wrote a briefing saying
"This is what we expected, this is what we got, and here's why we
didn't get what we expected?"

>Come on, no one allows records to
>live past their useful life. Sockholders could find 'em in a discovery
>action. I'd like to know what and when HP figured it out. ;-)
>
>> It isn't so much that they didn't get it right in four or five
>> years...the problem is that hard. It's hard to comprehend what they
>> were doing in terms of risk management, though. Not much, apparently.
>
>Of course it's hard. The folks on CA and AFC were laughing at the
>notion that it was even possible, given the state of the art.
>These things had been tried before, and many in thouse gorups
>were there when it was tried. Evidently Intel bet against the known art,
>and lost.

You've never been around when something that "everybody knew" turned
out to be wrong? "Everybody knew" you couldn't make features smaller
than the wavelength, for example.

IBM went through a similar phase: The only reason it hasn't been done
is because nobody else has done it right. We've got the money to do
it right.

The key problem that underlies at least some of Itanium's difficulties
is a core problem for IT and it isn't going to go away: how to
anticipate movement of data to minimize time on the critical path.
The same problem shows up with memory access, with disk access, and
now with serving web pages. The technology continues to move since
Itanium was dreamed up. And who knows if they even understood how
much of a problem getting the data in would be would be--I don't think
they did. I'd be grateful, in fact, for a citation that said that
they did. Itanium was already on the launching pad before people
started saying "Oh, my g*d" about the memory wall. Since Intel
effectively made the same decision *again* with NetBurst, though, one
is inclined to think that Intel continued to think it had a way to
beat the problem. Wonder who was lying to whom?

>> I'll venture that no compiler solution to Itanium's problems is
>> forthcoming. Not that significant progress isn't possible. It just
>> won't be enough.
>
>Gee, I heard that on CA at *least* five years ago. Some things never
>change.

It's a moving target.

>> That means death for Itanium? I'm less sure of that. It depends on how
>> adventurous Intel is willing to be. The fact that execution pipes stall
>> frequently really shouldn't be a serious problem for server
>> applications. The idea that you have to keep a single pipe stuffed full
>> and running all the time is mainframe and HPC thinking.
>
>What is the incentive for anyone to move their application to Itanic?
>It's a business issue. What is the payoff?
>
>> The only thing Intel really has to preserve is the ISA. If you can add
>> more execution paths without blowing the power consumption through the
>> roof, you should be able to make practically any architecture get any
>> kind of throughput you want as a multi-threaded server.
>
>The only thing Intel *has* is the ISA. Why is that an issue for Intel's
>customers? What does that benefit *them*?

The advantage is that it's not x86 and it's not made by IBM. Your bet
is that the industry will converge on x86. It may well, except for a
particularly lucrative part of the market. That's the part that IBM
has and that Intel wants. A different ISA won't help them to get it?
Apparently Intel thinks otherwise.

Why would *customers* care? Because they don't want their enterprise
workhorses running on a legacy PC processor that migrated upward. It
seems increasingly unlikely, but if Itanium ever does make it to the
desktop, it will be clear that it is migrating downward. You can
think that's irrelevant, if you like, but I don't. If you're going to
wheel out IBM big iron, you don't want to be wheeling in a PC to
replace it.

It's true. When I talk to people who _ought_ to be interested,
they're not. They've already tried it, found out that it's hard and
there's no real payoff, and moved on.

RM

"Robert Myers" <rmyers1400@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 May 2005 21:38:18 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 12 May 2005 12:46:19 -0400, Robert Myers wrote:
>>

>>> I'd love to be able to go back and look at the historical documents at
>>> Intel. What did they know and when did they know it? Even knowing what
>>> they _thought_ they knew would make a fascinating read.
>>
>>Do you really thing these things exist?
>
> Tech types are packrats. No staff type ever wrote a briefing saying
> "This is what we expected, this is what we got, and here's why we
> didn't get what we expected?"
>
>>Come on, no one allows records to
>>live past their useful life. Sockholders could find 'em in a discovery
>>action. I'd like to know what and when HP figured it out. ;-)

You don't know much about engineers do you? If the document or presentation
existed, there is a copy on somebody's C: or ~/ somewhere.

>>> It isn't so much that they didn't get it right in four or five
>>> years...the problem is that hard. It's hard to comprehend what they
>>> were doing in terms of risk management, though. Not much, apparently.
>>
>>Of course it's hard. The folks on CA and AFC were laughing at the
>>notion that it was even possible, given the state of the art.
>>These things had been tried before, and many in thouse gorups
>>were there when it was tried. Evidently Intel bet against the known art,
>>and lost.
>>
> You've never been around when something that "everybody knew" turned
> out to be wrong? "Everybody knew" you couldn't make features smaller
> than the wavelength, for example.
>
> IBM went through a similar phase: The only reason it hasn't been done
> is because nobody else has done it right. We've got the money to do
> it right.

And in the case of VLIW, I think IBM caught on pretty early in that process.
But maybe they were more humble than Intel by then. By the time Itanium hit
public notice, I wasn't hearing much about VLIW.

> The key problem that underlies at least some of Itanium's difficulties
> is a core problem for IT and it isn't going to go away: how to
> anticipate movement of data to minimize time on the critical path.
> The same problem shows up with memory access, with disk access, and
> now with serving web pages. The technology continues to move since
> Itanium was dreamed up. And who knows if they even understood how
> much of a problem getting the data in would be would be--I don't think
> they did. I'd be grateful, in fact, for a citation that said that
> they did. Itanium was already on the launching pad before people
> started saying "Oh, my g*d" about the memory wall. Since Intel
> effectively made the same decision *again* with NetBurst, though, one
> is inclined to think that Intel continued to think it had a way to
> beat the problem. Wonder who was lying to whom?

Oh please. People have been talking about the memory wall and evaluating
its effects for a long time. Do you think computer architects just fell off
the turnip truck? Hell, we even heard about it up here on the frozen
tundra. The real error is the common one of believing someone who says
"This time it is different". Often, when someone says that it turns out not
to be true, whether talking about the stock market or computer architecture.

>>> I'll venture that no compiler solution to Itanium's problems is
>>> forthcoming. Not that significant progress isn't possible. It just
>>> won't be enough.
>>
>>Gee, I heard that on CA at *least* five years ago. Some things never
>>change.
>>
> It's a moving target.

Some times projects with "invention required" don't work out.

>>> That means death for Itanium? I'm less sure of that. It depends on how
>>> adventurous Intel is willing to be. The fact that execution pipes stall
>>> frequently really shouldn't be a serious problem for server
>>> applications. The idea that you have to keep a single pipe stuffed full
>>> and running all the time is mainframe and HPC thinking.
>>
>>What is the incentive for anyone to move their application to Itanic?
>>It's a business issue. What is the payoff?
>>
>>> The only thing Intel really has to preserve is the ISA. If you can add
>>> more execution paths without blowing the power consumption through the
>>> roof, you should be able to make practically any architecture get any
>>> kind of throughput you want as a multi-threaded server.
>>
>>The only thing Intel *has* is the ISA. Why is that an issue for Intel's
>>customers? What does that benefit *them*?
>>

> The advantage is that it's not x86 and it's not made by IBM. Your bet
> is that the industry will converge on x86. It may well, except for a
> particularly lucrative part of the market. That's the part that IBM
> has and that Intel wants. A different ISA won't help them to get it?
> Apparently Intel thinks otherwise.
>
> Why would *customers* care? Because they don't want their enterprise
> workhorses running on a legacy PC processor that migrated upward. It
> seems increasingly unlikely, but if Itanium ever does make it to the
> desktop, it will be clear that it is migrating downward. You can
> think that's irrelevant, if you like, but I don't. If you're going to
> wheel out IBM big iron, you don't want to be wheeling in a PC to
> replace it.
>
> It's true. When I talk to people who _ought_ to be interested,
> they're not. They've already tried it, found out that it's hard and
> there's no real payoff, and moved on.
>
> RM

It would be interesting to know what Intel's future Itanium plans are. HP
has a problem, having apparently tied their servers pretty solidly to
Itanium, if Intel de-prioritizes it. And didn't HP sell most of their
microprocessor folks to Intel?

del

Del Cecchi wrote:

>It would be interesting to know what Intel's future Itanium plans are. HP
>has a problem, having apparently tied their servers pretty solidly to
>Itanium, if Intel de-prioritizes it. And didn't HP sell most of their
>microprocessor folks to Intel?

Small wonder that companies like Intel and Microsoft continue to
dominate industries, when their competitors are so incredibly feeble
that they fold their hands at the mere announcement of a new
"world-beating" product.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:23:02 -0500, "Del Cecchi"
<dcecchi.nospam@att.net> wrote:

>"Robert Myers" <rmyers1400@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>>Do you really thing these things exist?
>>
>> Tech types are packrats. No staff type ever wrote a briefing saying
>> "This is what we expected, this is what we got, and here's why we
>> didn't get what we expected?"
>>
>>>Come on, no one allows records to
>>>live past their useful life. Sockholders could find 'em in a discovery
>>>action. I'd like to know what and when HP figured it out. ;-)
>
>You don't know much about engineers do you? If the document or presentation
>existed, there is a copy on somebody's C: or ~/ somewhere.

I don't know. Does Keith, who wrote that, know much about engineers?
I agree with you. Somebody's got the goods.

>>>Of course it's hard. The folks on CA and AFC were laughing at the
>>>notion that it was even possible, given the state of the art.
>>>These things had been tried before, and many in thouse gorups
>>>were there when it was tried. Evidently Intel bet against the known art,
>>>and lost.
>>>
>> You've never been around when something that "everybody knew" turned
>> out to be wrong? "Everybody knew" you couldn't make features smaller
>> than the wavelength, for example.
>>
>> IBM went through a similar phase: The only reason it hasn't been done
>> is because nobody else has done it right. We've got the money to do
>> it right.
>
>And in the case of VLIW, I think IBM caught on pretty early in that process.
>But maybe they were more humble than Intel by then. By the time Itanium hit
>public notice, I wasn't hearing much about VLIW.

Translation: IBM was in a fight for its life. Something about the
sight of the gallows and concentrating the mind.

>> The key problem that underlies at least some of Itanium's difficulties
>> is a core problem for IT and it isn't going to go away: how to
>> anticipate movement of data to minimize time on the critical path.
>> The same problem shows up with memory access, with disk access, and
>> now with serving web pages. The technology continues to move since
>> Itanium was dreamed up. And who knows if they even understood how
>> much of a problem getting the data in would be would be--I don't think
>> they did. I'd be grateful, in fact, for a citation that said that
>> they did. Itanium was already on the launching pad before people
>> started saying "Oh, my g*d" about the memory wall. Since Intel
>> effectively made the same decision *again* with NetBurst, though, one
>> is inclined to think that Intel continued to think it had a way to
>> beat the problem. Wonder who was lying to whom?
>
>Oh please. People have been talking about the memory wall and evaluating
>its effects for a long time. Do you think computer architects just fell off
>the turnip truck? Hell, we even heard about it up here on the frozen
>tundra. The real error is the common one of believing someone who says
>"This time it is different". Often, when someone says that it turns out not
>to be true, whether talking about the stock market or computer architecture.

I date the term "memory wall" from a 1995 article in Compter
Architecture News by Wulf and McKee.

http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/cache/papers/cs/2494/ftp:zSzzSzftp.cs.virginia.eduzSzpubzSztechreportszSzCS-94-48.pdf/wulf95hitting.pdf

Engineers and computer architects probably talked about the problem
long before the article appeared, but the Wulf and McKee article
itself is a bit naive, as if cache were all about reuse and that there
would be nothing to be done about "first use" cache misses. Had that
turned out to be true, of course, faster processors would long ago
have become completely pointless, and everything would be massively
parallel processing by now.

I don't think anyone could forsee at that time what a big deal
out-of-order processing would turn out to be. In some ways, Intel/HP
just jumped the gun. Had they (for example) waited until the Pentium
II had been introduced, the future would have been much easier to
forsee, and it would be harder to forgive them for adopting an ISA
that would make competing even with x86 much more difficult.

>>>Gee, I heard that on CA at *least* five years ago. Some things never
>>>change.
>>>
>> It's a moving target.
>
>Some times projects with "invention required" don't work out.

The compilers are getting better, just not fast enough compared to the
competition.

<snip>

>It would be interesting to know what Intel's future Itanium plans are. HP
>has a problem, having apparently tied their servers pretty solidly to
>Itanium, if Intel de-prioritizes it. And didn't HP sell most of their
>microprocessor folks to Intel?

That begs the question of what HP's bigger picture view of the future
is. There must be more on the table than just what processor their
big boxes will use.

As to what Intel thinks, it's hard to imagine Intel disburdening
itself of Itanium while HP is still relying on it. Cutting HP (or
equivalent) loose would close off many futures to Intel.

RM