IBM on Windows SP2: Watch Out!

TR

From: http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/000153.html

PC World's Techlog
News, opinion, and links from Editor in Chief Harry McCracken.

IBM on Windows SP2: Watch Out!

Posted by Harry McCracken
Sunday, August 08, 2004, 10:10 PM (PST)

More Windows XP Service Pack 2 developments: IBM, which is not only a
big technology company but a big user of technology, is warning its
400,000 PC-using employees not to install SP2 until it's fixed some of
the apps it uses to ensure compatibility with SP2. (For more, see this
story by IDG News Service correspondent Joris Evers. Joris,
incidentally, works within shouting distance of me here in San
Francisco, but this story is on Computerworld Australia's site.)

Big Blue's take actually doesn't sound like a slam against SP2 so much
as good common sense. Because Microsoft designed SP2 to err on the
side of security--a philosophy that it's high time the company
took--it's inevitable that there will be some compatibility glitches
with existing stuff. IBM says it'll tweak its software and then deploy
a custom version of SP2; those of us with a few PCs rather than a few
hundred thousand may not be able to do that, but we can at least hold
off installing SP2 briefly to see if anyone else reports serious
problems with the apps we use.

Microsoft, meanwhile, is still urging everyone to install SP2
immediately. If you decide to be an SP2 early adopter, I'd love to
hear what you think...

carrie

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

Slowed my computer down noticeabilly Dell 4600 512ram
64meg ati all in wonder P4 2.6, 40gig+ 250 gig 7200 hard drives...besides
apperent slowness not any unresolved issues.Uninstalled
SP2.....happier.Peace,Harry