Over US$350,000 for this laptop!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
May 16, 2005 5:57:27 PM

"Tulip E-Go Diamond

Tulip E-Go notebook inlaid with solid palladium white gold plates in
which thousands of brilliant cut diamonds have been set. The quality is
V.V.S. top-Wesselton and the total weight is 80.00 Crt.

The brilliant cut diamonds are microscopic and pave set with surgical
precision. This magnificent end result is possible thanks to the use of
brilliant cut diamonds with a large variety of diameters.

A unique square cut ruby has been set in both Tulip logos.

For the Tulip E-Go diamond project, Marcel van Galen Design worked
closely together with Design Department product engineering and Laurent
de Beer Master Jewelry Designer.

Consumer price € 283,000"
http://www.amdboard.com/tulip_e-go.html

More about : 350 000 laptop

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2005 1:28:22 AM

On 16 May 2005 13:57:27 -0700, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Tulip E-Go Diamond
>
>Tulip E-Go notebook inlaid with solid palladium white gold plates in
>which thousands of brilliant cut diamonds have been set. The quality is
>V.V.S. top-Wesselton and the total weight is 80.00 Crt.
>
>The brilliant cut diamonds are microscopic and pave set with surgical
>precision. This magnificent end result is possible thanks to the use of
>brilliant cut diamonds with a large variety of diameters.
>
>A unique square cut ruby has been set in both Tulip logos.
>
>For the Tulip E-Go diamond project, Marcel van Galen Design worked
>closely together with Design Department product engineering and Laurent
>de Beer Master Jewelry Designer.
>
>Consumer price € 283,000"
>http://www.amdboard.com/tulip_e-go.html

Wow... that's one of the dumbest ideas I've come across in a while! A
$350,000 laptop that will be obsolete in 3 years time? Not to mention
the fact that diamond and gold will tend to add useless weight to the
laptop. And for what? Fashion? I doubt most people would be any
more impressed with the diamond than with any of their other laptops.

That being said, they are some kind of neat looking laptops (the
non-diamond varieties). Ok, a few of them seem a touch to, umm,
feminine for my tastes, but the concept isn't bad. They've got some
decent hardware to back it up to. Too bad the round shape of the case
limits the (rectangular) screen to only 12.1".

-------------
Tony Hill
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2005 2:58:31 AM

Tony Hill wrote:
> Wow... that's one of the dumbest ideas I've come across in a while! A
> $350,000 laptop that will be obsolete in 3 years time? Not to mention
> the fact that diamond and gold will tend to add useless weight to the
> laptop. And for what? Fashion? I doubt most people would be any
> more impressed with the diamond than with any of their other laptops.

I bet they'd fly off the shelves at $175,000, why that's 50% off! :-)

> That being said, they are some kind of neat looking laptops (the
> non-diamond varieties). Ok, a few of them seem a touch to, umm,
> feminine for my tastes, but the concept isn't bad. They've got some
> decent hardware to back it up to. Too bad the round shape of the case
> limits the (rectangular) screen to only 12.1".

So you think a laptop named "Tulip" is kinda feminine do you?

The lineup is absolutely geared at women consumers. The round lines with
the integrated handle are supposed to match a purse. The color schemes
are also meant to evoke purses. The diamond and gold version is probably
just the Dolce & Gabanna version of these laptops, meant to be shown and
worn only once on a runway, with the actual consumer lines being much
less gaudy.

Yousuf Khan
Related resources
May 17, 2005 3:29:00 AM

On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:58:31 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:

> Tony Hill wrote:
>> Wow... that's one of the dumbest ideas I've come across in a while! A
>> $350,000 laptop that will be obsolete in 3 years time? Not to mention
>> the fact that diamond and gold will tend to add useless weight to the
>> laptop. And for what? Fashion? I doubt most people would be any
>> more impressed with the diamond than with any of their other laptops.
>
> I bet they'd fly off the shelves at $175,000, why that's 50% off! :-)
>
>> That being said, they are some kind of neat looking laptops (the
>> non-diamond varieties). Ok, a few of them seem a touch to, umm,
>> feminine for my tastes, but the concept isn't bad. They've got some
>> decent hardware to back it up to. Too bad the round shape of the case
>> limits the (rectangular) screen to only 12.1".
>
> So you think a laptop named "Tulip" is kinda feminine do you?

....or was that two-lips? Hmm, perhaps I should go to the dark side
(marketing).

> The lineup is absolutely geared at women consumers. The round lines with
> the integrated handle are supposed to match a purse. The color schemes
> are also meant to evoke purses.

Macs are fo girls? ;-)

> The diamond and gold version is probably
> just the Dolce & Gabanna version of these laptops, meant to be shown and
> worn only once on a runway, with the actual consumer lines being much
> less gaudy.

....and the LED lit up PeeCees with windows (the clear kind) aren't pimpy?
Ok, my fansink has an LED on it because the version without cost $6 more
(shipping). It's not at all effeminite, it's just cheap! ;-)

--
Keith
Anonymous

keith wrote:
>>The lineup is absolutely geared at women consumers. The round lines with
>>the integrated handle are supposed to match a purse. The color schemes
>>are also meant to evoke purses.
>

> Macs are fo girls? ;-)

It's true, Apple markets heavily to women. It wouldn't surprise me if
the iPod isn't majority bought by women.

>>The diamond and gold version is probably
>>just the Dolce & Gabanna version of these laptops, meant to be shown and
>>worn only once on a runway, with the actual consumer lines being much
>>less gaudy.
>

> ...and the LED lit up PeeCees with windows (the clear kind) aren't pimpy?
> Ok, my fansink has an LED on it because the version without cost $6 more
> (shipping). It's not at all effeminite, it's just cheap! ;-)

The pimped out glowing look definitely would not appeal to girls, that's
to appeal to hip-hop wannabe boys. Different markets. In general, girls
like cute, while boys like flashy. Even the gold & diamond laptop
despite being gaudy, is designed in such a way as to appeal to girls,
because it's not flashy. Gaudy and flashy aren't necessarily the same;
gaudy comes in all kinds of forms. The diamond and gold laptop would be
gaudy in a Milan fashion week kind of way, not a Jay-Z or 50 Cent kind
of way.

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2005 4:19:41 PM

Lee Waun wrote:
> What a total waste of money that is. It is just so ugly why would
anyone
> want that.

I doubt many would consider it ugly. Definitely unusual. Very feminine,
in an industry geared towards male tastes so far.

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 17, 2005 9:09:21 PM

"YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote in message
"Tulip E-Go Diamond

Tulip E-Go notebook inlaid with solid palladium white gold plates in
which thousands of brilliant cut diamonds have been set. The quality is
V.V.S. top-Wesselton and the total weight is 80.00 Crt.

The brilliant cut diamonds are microscopic and pave set with surgical
precision. This magnificent end result is possible thanks to the use of
brilliant cut diamonds with a large variety of diameters.

A unique square cut ruby has been set in both Tulip logos.

For the Tulip E-Go diamond project, Marcel van Galen Design worked
closely together with Design Department product engineering and Laurent
de Beer Master Jewelry Designer.

What a total waste of money that is. It is just so ugly why would anyone
want that.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2005 12:09:08 AM

Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> writes:

> On 16 May 2005 13:57:27 -0700, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Tulip E-Go Diamond
>>
>>Tulip E-Go notebook inlaid with solid palladium white gold plates in
>>which thousands of brilliant cut diamonds have been set. The quality is
>>V.V.S. top-Wesselton and the total weight is 80.00 Crt.
>>
>>The brilliant cut diamonds are microscopic and pave set with surgical
>>precision. This magnificent end result is possible thanks to the use of
>>brilliant cut diamonds with a large variety of diameters.
>>
>>A unique square cut ruby has been set in both Tulip logos.
>>
>>For the Tulip E-Go diamond project, Marcel van Galen Design worked
>>closely together with Design Department product engineering and Laurent
>>de Beer Master Jewelry Designer.
>>
>>Consumer price € 283,000"
>>http://www.amdboard.com/tulip_e-go.html
>
> Wow... that's one of the dumbest ideas I've come across in a while! A
> $350,000 laptop that will be obsolete in 3 years time? Not to mention
> the fact that diamond and gold will tend to add useless weight to the
> laptop. And for what? Fashion? I doubt most people would be any
> more impressed with the diamond than with any of their other laptops.
>
> That being said, they are some kind of neat looking laptops (the
> non-diamond varieties). Ok, a few of them seem a touch to, umm,
> feminine for my tastes, but the concept isn't bad.

Allow me to be the devil advocate for a second: why do all laptops
have to look like bricks? Even Sony has gone to "bricktops" in their
Vaio series, which is otherwise known for very sleek (visual) design.

Kai
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2005 12:09:09 AM

In article <uk6lxn2rf.fsf@harrekilde.dk>, khp@harrekilde.dk says...
> Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> writes:
>
> > On 16 May 2005 13:57:27 -0700, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>"Tulip E-Go Diamond
> >>
> >>Tulip E-Go notebook inlaid with solid palladium white gold plates in
> >>which thousands of brilliant cut diamonds have been set. The quality is
> >>V.V.S. top-Wesselton and the total weight is 80.00 Crt.
> >>
> >>The brilliant cut diamonds are microscopic and pave set with surgical
> >>precision. This magnificent end result is possible thanks to the use of
> >>brilliant cut diamonds with a large variety of diameters.
> >>
> >>A unique square cut ruby has been set in both Tulip logos.
> >>
> >>For the Tulip E-Go diamond project, Marcel van Galen Design worked
> >>closely together with Design Department product engineering and Laurent
> >>de Beer Master Jewelry Designer.
> >>
> >>Consumer price € 283,000"
> >>http://www.amdboard.com/tulip_e-go.html
> >
> > Wow... that's one of the dumbest ideas I've come across in a while! A
> > $350,000 laptop that will be obsolete in 3 years time? Not to mention
> > the fact that diamond and gold will tend to add useless weight to the
> > laptop. And for what? Fashion? I doubt most people would be any
> > more impressed with the diamond than with any of their other laptops.
> >
> > That being said, they are some kind of neat looking laptops (the
> > non-diamond varieties). Ok, a few of them seem a touch to, umm,
> > feminine for my tastes, but the concept isn't bad.
>
> Allow me to be the devil advocate for a second: why do all laptops
> have to look like bricks? Even Sony has gone to "bricktops" in their
> Vaio series, which is otherwise known for very sleek (visual) design.

Why do businessmen wear dark suits?

Why sell to businessmen who wear dark suits?

Because businessmen wearing dark suits have green.

--
Keith
No businessman

On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:29:00 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

>On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:58:31 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> The diamond and gold version is probably
>> just the Dolce & Gabanna version of these laptops, meant to be shown and
>> worn only once on a runway, with the actual consumer lines being much
>> less gaudy.
>
>...and the LED lit up PeeCees with windows (the clear kind) aren't pimpy?
>Ok, my fansink has an LED on it because the version without cost $6 more
>(shipping). It's not at all effeminite, it's just cheap! ;-)

I want ground-effects lighting for my computer! :>

-------------
Tony Hill
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2005 1:09:38 AM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:09:08 +0200, Kai Harrekilde-Petersen
<khp@harrekilde.dk> wrote:
>> That being said, they are some kind of neat looking laptops (the
>> non-diamond varieties). Ok, a few of them seem a touch to, umm,
>> feminine for my tastes, but the concept isn't bad.
>
>Allow me to be the devil advocate for a second: why do all laptops
>have to look like bricks? Even Sony has gone to "bricktops" in their
>Vaio series, which is otherwise known for very sleek (visual) design.

Well, part of the problem with non-brick laptops is one thing I
mentioned in the above post; you simply end up wasting a LOT of
precious laptop real-estate by putting a rectangular screen in a
non-rectangular case. These E-Go laptops are about as big as a
standard laptop with a 15" screen but they only have 12.1" screens.

Beyond that there are probably some cost incentives to making things
simple and square. Remember that basically all laptops are outsourced
to the lowest bidder these days, be it Arima, Quanta or Compal. Most
laptop vendors (ie HP, Dell, Sony, etc.) just choose a standard model
from one of these three manufacturers and slap their sticker on the
front. Designing a different laptop would probably require a unique
product line be built and it would probably raise the cost by a rather
larger amount then would normally be expected.

Of course, it could simply be that the majority of laptop buyers are
boring :>

-------------
Tony Hill
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2005 3:53:53 AM

Keith R. Williams <krw@att.bizzzz> writes:

> In article <uk6lxn2rf.fsf@harrekilde.dk>, khp@harrekilde.dk says...
>> Allow me to be the devil advocate for a second: why do all laptops
>> have to look like bricks? Even Sony has gone to "bricktops" in their
>> Vaio series, which is otherwise known for very sleek (visual) design.
>
> Why do businessmen wear dark suits?
>
> Why sell to businessmen who wear dark suits?
>
> Because businessmen wearing dark suits have green.

Obviously, you haven't even taken the time to stop and look at the
Sony vaios.

Sony (and other companies for that matter) have produced laptops that
didn't look like bricks and were NOT "feminine" or whatever you want
to call it.

If your point is conformity and narrowmindedness of the buyers, I can
only lament the human race.

Kai
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2005 7:13:18 PM

>The lineup is absolutely geared at women consumers.

Yeah, wealthy affluent consumers, probably the same people who can
afford to buy an expensive BMW or gas-gussling hummer in cash.

And I doubt that the average middle class woman is going to purchase
one of these since it costs about as much as a house.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 18, 2005 11:38:59 PM

Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> writes:

> On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:09:08 +0200, Kai Harrekilde-Petersen
> <khp@harrekilde.dk> wrote:
>>> That being said, they are some kind of neat looking laptops (the
>>> non-diamond varieties). Ok, a few of them seem a touch to, umm,
>>> feminine for my tastes, but the concept isn't bad.
>>
>>Allow me to be the devil advocate for a second: why do all laptops
>>have to look like bricks? Even Sony has gone to "bricktops" in their
>>Vaio series, which is otherwise known for very sleek (visual) design.
>
> Well, part of the problem with non-brick laptops is one thing I
> mentioned in the above post; you simply end up wasting a LOT of
> precious laptop real-estate by putting a rectangular screen in a
> non-rectangular case. These E-Go laptops are about as big as a
> standard laptop with a 15" screen but they only have 12.1" screens.

Sounds like we have different mental pictures of what I call a
bricktop. To me, a bricktop is completely rectangular, in all three
dimensions.

My Vaio laptop is thicker in the rear than in the front, so the
keyboard is slightly slanted. They also made a "gull-wing" design on
the sides, where the connectors and the fan-exhaust sits. Very neat
and stylish, and without loosing points for jeopardizing that 15"
screen. OK, so it's only ~14", but its 1400x1050 :-)

> Beyond that there are probably some cost incentives to making things
> simple and square. Remember that basically all laptops are outsourced
> to the lowest bidder these days, be it Arima, Quanta or Compal. Most
> laptop vendors (ie HP, Dell, Sony, etc.) just choose a standard model
> from one of these three manufacturers and slap their sticker on the
> front. Designing a different laptop would probably require a unique
> product line be built and it would probably raise the cost by a rather
> larger amount then would normally be expected.

I doubt it would be by a lot. Sure, the Vaio I bought was more
expensive than your joe-average laptop, but not by a lot.

> Of course, it could simply be that the majority of laptop buyers are
> boring :>

I hope you're wrong :>

Kai
May 19, 2005 1:56:29 AM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 21:09:37 -0400, Tony Hill wrote:

> On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:29:00 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:58:31 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>> The diamond and gold version is probably
>>> just the Dolce & Gabanna version of these laptops, meant to be shown and
>>> worn only once on a runway, with the actual consumer lines being much
>>> less gaudy.
>>
>>...and the LED lit up PeeCees with windows (the clear kind) aren't pimpy?
>>Ok, my fansink has an LED on it because the version without cost $6 more
>>(shipping). It's not at all effeminite, it's just cheap! ;-)
>
> I want ground-effects lighting for my computer! :>

Hey, it adds 200MHz! ...just like spoilers add 10HP.

--
Keith
May 19, 2005 1:58:17 AM

On Wed, 18 May 2005 15:13:18 -0500, lyon_wonder wrote:

>>The lineup is absolutely geared at women consumers.
>
> Yeah, wealthy affluent consumers, probably the same people who can
> afford to buy an expensive BMW or gas-gussling hummer in cash.

What, don't they notice you?

> And I doubt that the average middle class woman is going to purchase
> one of these since it costs about as much as a house.

It's not about "middle class women" at all. What about the ones without
the diamonds?

--
Keith
Anonymous

lyon_wonder wrote:
>>The lineup is absolutely geared at women consumers.
>

> Yeah, wealthy affluent consumers, probably the same people who can
> afford to buy an expensive BMW or gas-gussling hummer in cash.
>
> And I doubt that the average middle class woman is going to purchase
> one of these since it costs about as much as a house.

Only the gold and diamond-studded version of this laptop costs that
much, obviously. The lesser versions are probably much more reasonable,
though it's not stated how much they cost.

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2005 5:19:09 AM

In article <1116357581.549227.6710@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, YKhan
<yjkhan@gmail.com> writes
>Lee Waun wrote:
>> What a total waste of money that is. It is just so ugly why would
>anyone
>> want that.
>
>I doubt many would consider it ugly. Definitely unusual. Very feminine,
>in an industry geared towards male tastes so far.

True, but I did not notice a mirror.
--
Roger Hunt
May 19, 2005 5:19:10 AM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 01:19:09 +0100, Roger Hunt wrote:

> In article <1116357581.549227.6710@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, YKhan
> <yjkhan@gmail.com> writes
>>Lee Waun wrote:
>>> What a total waste of money that is. It is just so ugly why would
>>anyone
>>> want that.
>>
>>I doubt many would consider it ugly. Definitely unusual. Very feminine,
>>in an industry geared towards male tastes so far.

Actually, after my first rant (I couldn't get to the site) I looked
again. It's actaully well done. $350K for a lousey hunk of electronics
that will depreciate faster than an Edsel in a Canuckistan winter, is
rather over the top though.

> True, but I did not notice a mirror.

I agree! For $350K at least they'd have RAID-0 drives!

--
Keith
Anonymous

Roger Hunt wrote:
> True, but I did not notice a mirror.

I thought maybe that's what all of the gold plating was for.

Yousuf Khan
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 19, 2005 5:08:06 PM

In article <87Tie.6495$dS3.827819@news20.bellglobal.com>, Yousuf Khan
<bbbl67@ezrs.com> writes
>Roger Hunt wrote:
>> True, but I did not notice a mirror.
>
>I thought maybe that's what all of the gold plating was for.

<g>
Of course! It's the ultimate vanity mirror.
--
Roger Hunt
May 20, 2005 2:11:11 AM

On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:08:06 +0100, Roger Hunt wrote:

> In article <87Tie.6495$dS3.827819@news20.bellglobal.com>, Yousuf Khan
> <bbbl67@ezrs.com> writes
>>Roger Hunt wrote:
>>> True, but I did not notice a mirror.
>>
>>I thought maybe that's what all of the gold plating was for.
>>
> <g>
> Of course! It's the ultimate vanity mirror.

'twould make the skin look a litttle jaundiced, no?

--
Keith
Anonymous

In article <pan.2005.05.20.02.11.09.915844@att.bizzzz>, keith
<krw@att.bizzzz> writes
>On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:08:06 +0100, Roger Hunt wrote:
>
>> In article <87Tie.6495$dS3.827819@news20.bellglobal.com>, Yousuf Khan
>> <bbbl67@ezrs.com> writes
>>>
>>>I thought maybe that's what all of the gold plating was for.
>>>
>> <g>
>> Of course! It's the ultimate vanity mirror.
>
>'twould make the skin look a litttle jaundiced, no?

I assume the owner is so inflated with Botox they can hardly see out of
their eyes, so it wouldn't matter.
--
Roger Hunt
Anonymous

keith <krw@att.bizzzz> writes:

> On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:38:59 +0200, Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:
> He isn't. Computers aren't peacock feathers. They're tools. They're not
> intended to define you. Sheesh! Buy pink iBook and become a lawyer in
> the movies.

We have different opinions. Get over it.

Kai
May 21, 2005 3:37:08 PM

On Fri, 20 May 2005 19:07:15 +0200, Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:

> keith <krw@att.bizzzz> writes:
>
>> On Wed, 18 May 2005 19:38:59 +0200, Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:
>> He isn't. Computers aren't peacock feathers. They're tools. They're not
>> intended to define you. Sheesh! Buy pink iBook and become a lawyer in
>> the movies.
>
> We have different opinions. Get over it.

The fact is that the target market for laptops don't want glitz.
They're getting what they want. You're the one who needs to get over it.
....or you could invest the money and build strawberry glitter notebooks to
meet the demand you see.

--
Keith
Anonymous

keith wrote:
> On Fri, 20 May 2005 19:07:15 +0200, Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:
> > We have different opinions. Get over it.
>
> The fact is that the target market for laptops don't want glitz.
> They're getting what they want. You're the one who needs to get over
it.
> ...or you could invest the money and build strawberry glitter
notebooks to
> meet the demand you see.

It's not entirely clear that the target market doesn't want glitz. The
current era of the straight-lined laptop may just be the signs of an
immature market -- a market still so bedazzled by the technology, that
it so far doesn't need to be bedazzled by the looks. Sort of like the
era of the Ford Model-T, where "you could have it any color, as long
as it was black". But this era will inevitably end, and people are
going to get bored by the same old thing.

These boutique laptops like the Tulips and to a lesser extent like the
Acer Ferraris, are probably the first in a changing guard. It's already
happened in desktops. Used to be a time when all desktop computers were
painted white, to the point where the whole market was called "the
white-box market". But it's quite obvious that the computers from
Alienware and Voodoo have carved out a niche for themselves, and that
niche is bound to expand.

Yousuf Khan
May 23, 2005 1:22:16 AM

On Sun, 22 May 2005 17:21:25 -0700, YKhan wrote:

> keith wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 May 2005 19:07:15 +0200, Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:
>> > We have different opinions. Get over it.
>>
>> The fact is that the target market for laptops don't want glitz.
>> They're getting what they want. You're the one who needs to get over
> it.
>> ...or you could invest the money and build strawberry glitter
> notebooks to
>> meet the demand you see.
>
> It's not entirely clear that the target market doesn't want glitz. The
> current era of the straight-lined laptop may just be the signs of an
> immature market -- a market still so bedazzled by the technology, that
> it so far doesn't need to be bedazzled by the looks. Sort of like the
> era of the Ford Model-T, where "you could have it any color, as long
> as it was black". But this era will inevitably end, and people are
> going to get bored by the same old thing.

I disagree. John Q. CEO wears gray suits and a red power tie for a
reason. JQC can afford $5K for a high-end laptop, so he gets what he
wants. Jim Junior Manager aspires to be JQC, and has a $2K laptop that
looks sorta the same. I Am Engineer gets whatever is pushed down from
Dumb A. Cio, who has to meet with JQC, so all laptops look like JQC's.

Judy Artsy Craft may want to be herself and have a diamond-studded laptop.
That's why they make iBooks. ;-)

> These boutique laptops like the Tulips and to a lesser extent like the
> Acer Ferraris, are probably the first in a changing guard. It's already
> happened in desktops. Used to be a time when all desktop computers were
> painted white, to the point where the whole market was called "the
> white-box market". But it's quite obvious that the computers from
> Alienware and Voodoo have carved out a niche for themselves, and that
> niche is bound to expand.

I have no doubt that tricked-out desktops are here to stay (yuck), but
laptops are quite a different thing. It's a *lot* harder to put windows
and fluorescent spinning things in them.

BTW, it's not "white". The color is *putty*. BTW, I *hate* "putty",
particularly for displays. I rather like black. It's not to be seen.
The display area is the important part.

--
Keith
Anonymous

In article <1116807685.813009.190370@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
YKhan <yjkhan@gmail.com> writes
>keith wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 May 2005 19:07:15 +0200, Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:
>> > We have different opinions. Get over it.
>>
>> The fact is that the target market for laptops don't want glitz.
>> They're getting what they want. You're the one who needs to get over
>it.
>> ...or you could invest the money and build strawberry glitter
>notebooks to
>> meet the demand you see.
>
>It's not entirely clear that the target market doesn't want glitz. The
>current era of the straight-lined laptop may just be the signs of an
>immature market -- a market still so bedazzled by the technology, that
>it so far doesn't need to be bedazzled by the looks. Sort of like the
>era of the Ford Model-T, where "you could have it any color, as long
>as it was black". But this era will inevitably end, and people are
>going to get bored by the same old thing.
>
>These boutique laptops like the Tulips and to a lesser extent like the
>Acer Ferraris, are probably the first in a changing guard. It's already
>happened in desktops. Used to be a time when all desktop computers were
>painted white, to the point where the whole market was called "the
>white-box market". But it's quite obvious that the computers from
>Alienware and Voodoo have carved out a niche for themselves, and that
>niche is bound to expand.

On the down-side is the inevitable danger of becoming the victim of a
mugging. :-(
--
Roger Hunt
Anonymous

keith wrote:
> I disagree. John Q. CEO wears gray suits and a red power tie for a
> reason. JQC can afford $5K for a high-end laptop, so he gets what he
> wants. Jim Junior Manager aspires to be JQC, and has a $2K laptop that
> looks sorta the same. I Am Engineer gets whatever is pushed down from
> Dumb A. Cio, who has to meet with JQC, so all laptops look like JQC's.

Yet, not so long ago JQC wouldn't have ever dreamt of wearing a red tie
with that gray suit, he would've worn a dark blue tie, possibly gray.
And the suit itself may not have been gray back then either, but more
like dark blue or black, possibly with pinstripes. So even the corporate
world's fashions are changing.

> Judy Artsy Craft may want to be herself and have a diamond-studded laptop.
> That's why they make iBooks. ;-)

More likely that the diamond-studded laptop would go to Mrs. JQC rather
than Ms. Judy A. Craft. Only Mrs. John Q. CEO would be able to afford
the $350K laptop.

>>These boutique laptops like the Tulips and to a lesser extent like the
>>Acer Ferraris, are probably the first in a changing guard. It's already
>>happened in desktops. Used to be a time when all desktop computers were
>>painted white, to the point where the whole market was called "the
>>white-box market". But it's quite obvious that the computers from
>>Alienware and Voodoo have carved out a niche for themselves, and that
>>niche is bound to expand.
>

> I have no doubt that tricked-out desktops are here to stay (yuck), but
> laptops are quite a different thing. It's a *lot* harder to put windows
> and fluorescent spinning things in them.

Voodoo and Alienware also make painted laptops, with flames on them.
They call them gamer laptops.

Yousuf Khan
May 24, 2005 1:14:26 AM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 13:15:49 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:

> keith wrote:
>> I disagree. John Q. CEO wears gray suits and a red power tie for a
>> reason. JQC can afford $5K for a high-end laptop, so he gets what he
>> wants. Jim Junior Manager aspires to be JQC, and has a $2K laptop that
>> looks sorta the same. I Am Engineer gets whatever is pushed down from
>> Dumb A. Cio, who has to meet with JQC, so all laptops look like JQC's.
>
> Yet, not so long ago JQC wouldn't have ever dreamt of wearing a red tie
> with that gray suit, he would've worn a dark blue tie, possibly gray.
> And the suit itself may not have been gray back then either, but more
> like dark blue or black, possibly with pinstripes. So even the corporate
> world's fashions are changing.

The suit is still drab. The attention isn't to be pulled to the product
that JQC bought, rather than *is*. He is representing his company, not
"Strawberry Glitter PC Co.".

>> Judy Artsy Craft may want to be herself and have a diamond-studded
>> laptop. That's why they make iBooks. ;-)
>
> More likely that the diamond-studded laptop would go to Mrs. JQC rather
> than Ms. Judy A. Craft. Only Mrs. John Q. CEO would be able to afford
> the $350K laptop.

Nope. Mrs. JQC isn't liket to own (or admit to it) a computer. She has
others doing that stuff. Of course Mrs. JQC may play a lot of solitare,
but not on a diamond-studded PC. She'll more likey save those diamonds
for her Ferarri. ;-)

>>>These boutique laptops like the Tulips and to a lesser extent like the
>>>Acer Ferraris, are probably the first in a changing guard. It's already
>>>happened in desktops. Used to be a time when all desktop computers were
>>>painted white, to the point where the whole market was called "the
>>>white-box market". But it's quite obvious that the computers from
>>>Alienware and Voodoo have carved out a niche for themselves, and that
>>>niche is bound to expand.
>>

>> I have no doubt that tricked-out desktops are here to stay (yuck), but
>> laptops are quite a different thing. It's a *lot* harder to put
>> windows and fluorescent spinning things in them.
>
> Voodoo and Alienware also make painted laptops, with flames on them.
> They call them gamer laptops.

Sure, they don't *make* those laptops. Anyone can glue glitter to a
laptop, but does it do anything? Ok, perhaps Master JQC Jr. wants one to
show he's got more money than god. ...oh nevermind! ;-)

--
Keith

--
Keith
Anonymous

keith wrote:
> The suit is still drab. The attention isn't to be pulled to the product
> that JQC bought, rather than *is*. He is representing his company, not
> "Strawberry Glitter PC Co.".

He'll want a stylish PC because he *is* representing his company. As
long as the stylishness doesn't go overboard. This is all we're trying
to tell you Keith, there are different styles, there's not just one
style. Not everything is gamerz paintjobs with gamerz neon glowing
things. JQC will feel very proud to own something like an Acer Ferrari
laptop. Not garish, but it does standout.

>>More likely that the diamond-studded laptop would go to Mrs. JQC rather
>>than Ms. Judy A. Craft. Only Mrs. John Q. CEO would be able to afford
>>the $350K laptop.
>

> Nope. Mrs. JQC isn't liket to own (or admit to it) a computer. She has
> others doing that stuff. Of course Mrs. JQC may play a lot of solitare,
> but not on a diamond-studded PC. She'll more likey save those diamonds
> for her Ferarri. ;-)

Why wouldn't she admit to owning a computer? Even if she can't use one,
it might be something to accessorize with eventually.

>>Voodoo and Alienware also make painted laptops, with flames on them.
>>They call them gamer laptops.
>

> Sure, they don't *make* those laptops. Anyone can glue glitter to a
> laptop, but does it do anything? Ok, perhaps Master JQC Jr. wants one to
> show he's got more money than god. ...oh nevermind! ;-)

You haven't actually seen those laptops have you?

Hypersonic Award Winning Gaming Notebooks
http://www.hypersonic-pc.com/2001/systems-mobile.htm?OV...

Alienware: Innovative High-Performance Custom PCs!
http://www.alienware.com/main.aspx

VoodooPC Luxury Entertainment Systems
http://www.voodoopc.com/showRoom.aspx?categoryID=2

Yousuf Khan
May 25, 2005 2:31:11 AM

On Mon, 23 May 2005 23:32:25 -0400, Yousuf Khan wrote:

> keith wrote:
>> The suit is still drab. The attention isn't to be pulled to the product
>> that JQC bought, rather than *is*. He is representing his company, not
>> "Strawberry Glitter PC Co.".
>
> He'll want a stylish PC because he *is* representing his company. As
> long as the stylishness doesn't go overboard. This is all we're trying
> to tell you Keith, there are different styles, there's not just one
> style. Not everything is gamerz paintjobs with gamerz neon glowing
> things. JQC will feel very proud to own something like an Acer Ferrari
> laptop. Not garish, but it does standout.

You don't know business people too well. Unless JQC is in the rag trade,
he's *not* looking to have his laptop noticed, if even then. There is a
*reason* the "power-tie" went from horrid yellow with spots to ugly
red ugly with spots, and it wasn't to be wearing ugly spots. The
rest of the suit remained drab.

>>>More likely that the diamond-studded laptop would go to Mrs. JQC rather
>>>than Ms. Judy A. Craft. Only Mrs. John Q. CEO would be able to afford
>>>the $350K laptop.
>>

>> Nope. Mrs. JQC isn't liket to own (or admit to it) a computer. She
>> has others doing that stuff. Of course Mrs. JQC may play a lot of
>> solitare, but not on a diamond-studded PC. She'll more likey save
>> those diamonds for her Ferarri. ;-)
>
> Why wouldn't she admit to owning a computer? Even if she can't use one,
> it might be something to accessorize with eventually.

Because she has servants to do such mundane things. SHe won't admit to
lifting a finger, even though everyone knows better.

>>>Voodoo and Alienware also make painted laptops, with flames on them.
>>>They call them gamer laptops.
>>

>> Sure, they don't *make* those laptops. Anyone can glue glitter to a
>> laptop, but does it do anything? Ok, perhaps Master JQC Jr. wants one
>> to show he's got more money than god. ...oh nevermind! ;-)
>
> You haven't actually seen those laptops have you?

Nope. ...and I've never seen a businessman with a flaming notebook.

> Hypersonic Award Winning Gaming Notebooks
> http://www.hypersonic-pc.com/2001/systems-mobile.htm?OV...

Yawn. When I see the CEO of Exxon carrying one...

> Alienware: Innovative High-Performance Custom PCs!
> http://www.alienware.com/main.aspx

Kidz.

> VoodooPC Luxury Entertainment Systems
> http://www.voodoopc.com/showRoom.aspx?categoryID=2

Punk/Goth.

Show me the market share. Do you own one? Why not?

--
Keith
!