CL2.0 & CL2.5 help

I just purchased a Ramses 256mb PC2100 266MHz memory chip, to
accompany (I thought) the 256mb chip already in my machine.

Trouble is, the one in my machine is CL2.0, the new one is CL2.5.

Any way to resolve this in the bios or externally?

Thanks! :)

First,just install them and see if they work without doing anything. If you
have problems just set them both to 2.5 in your BIOS.

"Andrew Clarkson" <andyclarkson@titanic-titanic-dot-com.no-spam.invalid>
wrote in message news:428a396d$1_5@alt.athenanews.com...
> I just purchased a Ramses 256mb PC2100 266MHz memory chip, to
> accompany (I thought) the 256mb chip already in my machine.
>
> Trouble is, the one in my machine is CL2.0, the new one is CL2.5.
>
> Any way to resolve this in the bios or externally?
>
> Thanks! :)

Dawg,

Thanks a lot - trouble is, how do I get to the bios? The machine won't
start with the new chip on its own or with the other chip in the slot.

Okay, taken a look in the bios, the change latency option has a cross
next to it so you cannot alter it, any ideas!?

On 18 May 2005 03:31:35 -0400,
andyclarkson@titanic-titanic-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (Andrew Clarkson)
wrote:

>Thanks a lot - trouble is, how do I get to the bios? The machine won't
>start with the new chip on its own or with the other chip in the slot.

If the system won't even boot with the new module on it's own than
there's a HIGH probability that you've got a DOA stick of memory!

However, just to be sure, you might want to try booting the system
with the old memory module in place and going into the BIOS to
manually setting the memory to the slowest timings and starting from
there.

Getting into the BIOS varies from one board to the next, though the
most common way is to press the 'DEL' key when you're computer first
boots up (before Windows even starts to load). 'ESC' and 'F2' are
other common keys used to get into the BIOS. Either way, it should
say as one of the very first messages you see when you turn on your
PC.

-------------
Tony Hill

Tony,

As I said previously, I can't boot the machine with the new chip in,
only the original. When I boot with the original, the area for
changing the CL settings has a cross next to it, and cannot be
changed/accessed.

Thanks for any continued help! :wink:

Bitstring <428b5ff2$1_1@alt.athenanews.com>, from the wonderful person
Andrew Clarkson <andyclarkson@titanic-titanic-dot-com.no-spam.invalid>
said
>Tony,
>
>As I said previously, I can't boot the machine with the new chip in,
>only the original. When I boot with the original, the area for
>changing the CL settings has a cross next to it, and cannot be
>changed/accessed.

That usually means you have 'speed by SPD' selected somewhere earlier in
the BIOS. You need to have selected 'full manual twiddling with it mode'
to be able to set RAS, CAS, CL, or whatever.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can