Don't Bother Me, Bother Tech Support.

Last response: in Computer Brands
August 18, 2004 7:21:01 PM

<They Don't Know Either But You're Out of My Hair.>

20:37 New party ('Pat Newcomb') has joined the session
20:37 You have been placed in queue. An advisor will join soon to
assist you. When you choose to finish your chat, please use the EXIT
CHAT button on your right.
20:37 New party ('Matt') has joined the session
20:37 Matt> Welcome to Gateway.com. My name is Matt and I will be your
E-Sales Executive today. Can I get your phone number before we get
started?
20:38 Pat Newcomb> Didn't I put that in?
20:39 Matt> sorry did not see it
20:39 Matt> Thanks! How are you today? What can I do for you?
20:39 Pat Newcomb> i have a question
20:39 Pat Newcomb> on the M275,
20:40 Pat Newcomb> what chipset does it run?
20:40 Matt> Intel® Pentium® M Processor 715 (1.5GHz)
20:41 Pat Newcomb> what's the video chipset?
20:41 Matt> Intel® 855GME Chipset is the processor
20:41 Matt> it has an intel 64mb integrated video
20:41 Pat Newcomb> Is the 855 used in any of your other notebooks?
20:42 Matt> no i believe the 275 is the only one
20:43 Pat Newcomb> do you have a link to intel on this?
20:43 Matt> what link were you looking for?
20:44 Pat Newcomb> i found it
20:44 Pat Newcomb> http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/mobile/855GME.htm
20:46 Matt> oh ok
20:46 Matt> At Gateway, we customize a solution to fit your needs. We
feature award winning Pcs, great support and service, and the #1
plasma TV in the industry. In order to best customize a solution to
fit your needs may I ask you a few questions?
20:48 Pat Newcomb> what do you want to know?
20:48 Matt> why were you needing to know the chipset
20:48 Matt> what are you going to be using the PC for
20:49 Pat Newcomb> we need a display and embedded cpu for controlling
a NC mill
20:50 Matt> ok were you wanting the hand writing recognition as well?
20:50 Pat Newcomb> not really
20:50 Matt> ok then what drew you to the 275 model?
20:51 Pat Newcomb> we can use it as a touch screen for menu selection
20:51 Pat Newcomb> it does not appear to be a ruggedized product
20:51 Matt> oh ok i see i also found the 320 has the Intel® 855PM
System Chipset (
20:51 Pat Newcomb> but we can probably put it in plastic
20:52 Matt> how many did you need
20:52 Pat Newcomb> we are converting an old NC Cincinnati 3 axis mill
20:52 Pat Newcomb> probably one
20:53 Matt> oh ok were you needing any particular software for it
20:53 Pat Newcomb> i looked up the chipset for that reason
20:53 Pat Newcomb> intel has a pdf but it's colossal
20:54 Matt> oh i see
20:54 Matt> i do not know enough about your application to really
recommend one chip set over another
20:54 Pat Newcomb> ftp://download.intel.com/design/chipsets/datashts/25261...
20:55 Pat Newcomb> it appears to have unified memory architecture
20:55 Pat Newcomb> that means video shares system ram
20:56 Matt> right it does not have its own dedicated memory for video
20:56 Pat Newcomb> that may or may not be an issue
20:57 Pat Newcomb> are there XFree86 drivers for this thing?
20:58 Matt> im not familiar with that
20:58 Matt> you may want to call tech at 1-800-846-2301 with these
types of technical questions
20:58 Pat Newcomb> XFree86 is the GPLed X Windowing system most intel
versions of un*x use
20:59 Pat Newcomb> i tried that,
20:59 Matt> what did they say
20:59 Pat Newcomb> they apparently have english as a fifth language
20:59 Pat Newcomb> couldn't decipher it
21:00 Matt> you must have called at a busy time, some of our overflow
is outsourced but most of it is here in the US
21:00 Pat Newcomb> the first guy I had to hang up on, as he was
totally unintelligable,
21:00 Pat Newcomb> the second was better,
21:01 Pat Newcomb> but he was a divinity major, not a computer guy
21:01 Pat Newcomb> he could tell you why Luther threw out the
Assumption but was a little weak on video issues
21:02 Matt> well to be honest most of what you are saying is over my
head and i have been selling computers for over 5 years now
21:02 Matt> so tech will be your best bet
21:02 Pat Newcomb> ok
21:02 Pat Newcomb> a simpler question,
21:03 Pat Newcomb> are there linux or freebsd drivers?
21:03 Matt> we dont deal with linux at all
21:04 Pat Newcomb> ironically, that's all they use in india...:-)
21:04 Matt> well im in Kansas city so a little far from India
21:04 Pat Newcomb> there's no way i would trust a $700 broach cutter
to a tool path controlled by any code written in seattle
21:05 Matt> ok well the rest of the world does so im not sure what to
tell you
21:05 Pat Newcomb> probably ok for typing and watching ron jeremy on
cd and stuff,
21:06 Matt> are you talking about Linux?
21:06 Pat Newcomb> but no one, or very few, run machine tools
21:06 Pat Newcomb> on windows
21:06 Matt> oh i see
21:06 Pat Newcomb> have you seen home shop machinist magazine?
21:06 Matt> no i have not
21:06 Pat Newcomb> they have lots of NC and manual conversion stuff
21:07 Matt> oh ok
21:07 Pat Newcomb> the little bench lathes, Sherlines etc. will be
Windows controlled,
21:07 Pat Newcomb> but, they have mechanical limit stops
21:07 Matt> ive never sold a computer for that sort of application so
i really dont know anything about it
21:07 Pat Newcomb> and you are looking at a few bucks if you run a
ball mill into a chuck or whatever
21:08 Pat Newcomb> we are milling gilmer belt sprockets and the
trunnions
21:08 Pat Newcomb> for a belt reduction drive
21:08 Pat Newcomb> the cutter is $700
21:26 Pat Newcomb> hello
21:27 Pat Newcomb> is anyone there??
21:28 Pat Newcomb> must have went to ask the tech guys...
21:32 Matt> sorry Pat but i really do think you are over my head on
this, your best bet is going to be calling tech support again
21:32 Pat Newcomb> ok
21:32 Matt> no one here really knows what to tell you
21:32 Pat Newcomb> let me do some research
21:32 Matt> ok
21:32 Matt> have a good night
21:33 Matt> thanks for coming to gateway.com
21:33 Matt> bye
21:33 Party ('Matt') has left the session
21:33 Attention! Agent left this chat room. It will be closed soon.
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 11:29:18 PM

is this all you do with your life? bait gateway reps and post it in here?
this rep put up with your tech questions much longer than i would have. now
allow me to blow you off as well... please, don't bother us, bother
somebody else!

!