DDR SDRAM memory type for a no-brand name computer

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

I have a no-brand name computer with a Via P4M266-8233 mainboard, a
ViaProSavageDDR P 4M266 chipset, and 256MB of RAM (as determined by a
couple of utility programs (Belarc and Dr. Hardware).

When I purchased the computer, it supposedly used DDR SDRAM. My
question is which DDR SDRAM? DDR PC1600, PC2100, or PC2700. Is there
an easy way to tell what kind of DDR SDRAM it is because I want to add
256MB or 512MB to the system?

John
9 answers Last reply
More about sdram memory type brand computer
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/p4-series/p4m266/

    It looks like the chipset supports both SDRAM (PC100 or PC133) and DDR.

    Everest home edition (free from http://www.lavalys.com/) can tell you
    whether you have SDRAM or DDR, although I don't know whether it's completely
    reliable for that.

    Usually, the memory is run synchronized to the processor's FSB (front side
    bus) frequency. A P4 with a 400 MHz FSB needs DDR200 (=PC1600) memory at a
    minimum, and a 533 MHz FSB needs DDR266 (= PC2100) memory or faster.
    However, DDR333 (=PC2700) and DDR400 (=PC3200) memory can usually be run at
    the lower frequencies. (I don't recall whether I have ever seen PC1600 for
    sale; don't bother looking for it.)

    If you can identify the mainboard
    (http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=17&CID=36 ), you may wish to
    visit www.crucial.com. For example, if it's an ECS P4VMM, Crucial lists
    PC2100, PC2700, and PC3200 DDR DIMMs for it, plus their high performance
    Ballistix memory (expensive).

    I'd expect generic non-ECC DDR DIMMs, PC2100 or better, to work. The ECS
    board above can even take 1 GB DIMMs, if the expense is tolerable.

    HTH.

    Bob Knowlden

    <jomason@cba.ua.edu> wrote in message
    >I have a no-brand name computer with a Via P4M266-8233 mainboard, a
    > ViaProSavageDDR P 4M266 chipset, and 256MB of RAM (as determined by a
    > couple of utility programs (Belarc and Dr. Hardware).
    >
    > When I purchased the computer, it supposedly used DDR SDRAM. My
    > question is which DDR SDRAM? DDR PC1600, PC2100, or PC2700. Is there
    > an easy way to tell what kind of DDR SDRAM it is because I want to add
    > 256MB or 512MB to the system?
    >
    > John

  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/p4-series/p4m266/
    >
    > It looks like the chipset supports both SDRAM (PC100 or PC133) and DDR.
    >
    > Everest home edition (free from http://www.lavalys.com/) can tell you
    > whether you have SDRAM or DDR, although I don't know whether it's
    > completely reliable for that.
    >
    > Usually, the memory is run synchronized to the processor's FSB (front side
    > bus) frequency. A P4 with a 400 MHz FSB needs DDR200 (=PC1600) memory at a
    > minimum, and a 533 MHz FSB needs DDR266 (= PC2100) memory or faster.
    > However, DDR333 (=PC2700) and DDR400 (=PC3200) memory can usually be run
    > at the lower frequencies. (I don't recall whether I have ever seen PC1600
    > for sale; don't bother looking for it.)
    >
    > If you can identify the mainboard
    > (http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=17&CID=36 ), you may wish to
    > visit www.crucial.com. For example, if it's an ECS P4VMM, Crucial lists
    > PC2100, PC2700, and PC3200 DDR DIMMs for it, plus their high performance
    > Ballistix memory (expensive).
    >
    > I'd expect generic non-ECC DDR DIMMs, PC2100 or better, to work. The ECS
    > board above can even take 1 GB DIMMs, if the expense is tolerable.
    >
    > HTH.
    >
    > Bob Knowlden
    >
    > Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
    >
    > <jomason@cba.ua.edu> wrote in message
    >>I have a no-brand name computer with a Via P4M266-8233 mainboard, a
    >> ViaProSavageDDR P 4M266 chipset, and 256MB of RAM (as determined by a
    >> couple of utility programs (Belarc and Dr. Hardware).
    >>
    >> When I purchased the computer, it supposedly used DDR SDRAM. My
    >> question is which DDR SDRAM? DDR PC1600, PC2100, or PC2700. Is there
    >> an easy way to tell what kind of DDR SDRAM it is because I want to add
    >> 256MB or 512MB to the system?
    >>
    >> John
    Uh, why don't you open it up, look at what is already installed and get some
    more of that?

  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    if memory serves ... that board is a combo SDRAM, DDR ram board.

    Supports up to 133FSB ... which generally leaves you with PC133 or PC2100
    (DDR) for your setup.

    either way, 266FSB on yer althon.

    - NuTs

    "Del Cecchi" <dcecchi.nospam@att.net> wrote in message

    > "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/p4-series/p4m266/
    >>
    >> It looks like the chipset supports both SDRAM (PC100 or PC133) and DDR.
    >>
    >> Everest home edition (free from http://www.lavalys.com/) can tell you
    >> whether you have SDRAM or DDR, although I don't know whether it's
    >> completely reliable for that.
    >>
    >> Usually, the memory is run synchronized to the processor's FSB (front
    >> side bus) frequency. A P4 with a 400 MHz FSB needs DDR200 (=PC1600)
    >> memory at a minimum, and a 533 MHz FSB needs DDR266 (= PC2100) memory or
    >> faster. However, DDR333 (=PC2700) and DDR400 (=PC3200) memory can usually
    >> be run at the lower frequencies. (I don't recall whether I have ever seen
    >> PC1600 for sale; don't bother looking for it.)
    >>
    >> If you can identify the mainboard
    >> (http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=17&CID=36 ), you may wish to
    >> visit www.crucial.com. For example, if it's an ECS P4VMM, Crucial lists
    >> PC2100, PC2700, and PC3200 DDR DIMMs for it, plus their high performance
    >> Ballistix memory (expensive).
    >>
    >> I'd expect generic non-ECC DDR DIMMs, PC2100 or better, to work. The ECS
    >> board above can even take 1 GB DIMMs, if the expense is tolerable.
    >>
    >> HTH.
    >>
    >> Bob Knowlden
    >>
    >> Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
    >>
    >> <jomason@cba.ua.edu> wrote in message
    >>>I have a no-brand name computer with a Via P4M266-8233 mainboard, a
    >>> ViaProSavageDDR P 4M266 chipset, and 256MB of RAM (as determined by a
    >>> couple of utility programs (Belarc and Dr. Hardware).
    >>>
    >>> When I purchased the computer, it supposedly used DDR SDRAM. My
    >>> question is which DDR SDRAM? DDR PC1600, PC2100, or PC2700. Is there
    >>> an easy way to tell what kind of DDR SDRAM it is because I want to add
    >>> 256MB or 512MB to the system?
    >>>
    >>> John
    > Uh, why don't you open it up, look at what is already installed and get
    > some more of that?

  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    Del,

    I have it opened up. Where would I read on the SDRAM module to tell me
    what kind of memory and the number of pins?

    John
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On 19 May 2005 02:33:06 -0700 jomason@cba.ua.edu wrote in Message id:
    <1116495186.259434.132760@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:

    >Del,
    >
    >I have it opened up. Where would I read on the SDRAM module to tell me
    >what kind of memory and the number of pins?

    How many notches along the side with the fingers?

    1 = DDR
    2 = PC133

    If DDR, you need at least DDR-266. But getting higher speed memory is
    never a bad idea, esp. if price difference is negligible.
  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    Look at the manufacturer's numbers and look it up on the net. It will tell
    what it is.

    "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
    > if memory serves ... that board is a combo SDRAM, DDR ram board.
    >
    > Supports up to 133FSB ... which generally leaves you with PC133 or PC2100
    > (DDR) for your setup.
    >
    > either way, 266FSB on yer althon.
    >
    > - NuTs
    >

    > "Del Cecchi" <dcecchi.nospam@att.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/p4-series/p4m266/
    >>>
    >>> It looks like the chipset supports both SDRAM (PC100 or PC133) and DDR.
    >>>
    >>> Everest home edition (free from http://www.lavalys.com/) can tell you
    >>> whether you have SDRAM or DDR, although I don't know whether it's
    >>> completely reliable for that.
    >>>
    >>> Usually, the memory is run synchronized to the processor's FSB (front
    >>> side bus) frequency. A P4 with a 400 MHz FSB needs DDR200 (=PC1600)
    >>> memory at a minimum, and a 533 MHz FSB needs DDR266 (= PC2100) memory or
    >>> faster. However, DDR333 (=PC2700) and DDR400 (=PC3200) memory can
    >>> usually be run at the lower frequencies. (I don't recall whether I have
    >>> ever seen PC1600 for sale; don't bother looking for it.)
    >>>
    >>> If you can identify the mainboard
    >>> (http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=17&CID=36 ), you may wish
    >>> to visit www.crucial.com. For example, if it's an ECS P4VMM, Crucial
    >>> lists PC2100, PC2700, and PC3200 DDR DIMMs for it, plus their high
    >>> performance Ballistix memory (expensive).
    >>>
    >>> I'd expect generic non-ECC DDR DIMMs, PC2100 or better, to work. The ECS
    >>> board above can even take 1 GB DIMMs, if the expense is tolerable.
    >>>
    >>> HTH.
    >>>
    >>> Bob Knowlden
    >>>
    >>> Address may be scrambled. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
    >>>
    >>> <jomason@cba.ua.edu> wrote in message

    >> Uh, why don't you open it up, look at what is already installed and get
    >> some more of that?

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 09:23:58 -0500, Del Cecchi wrote:

    > Look at the manufacturer's numbers and look it up on the net. It will tell
    > what it is.

    Sure. 95% of the time Google will tell you exactly what it is. Though
    don't go by the chips. You really need the numbers off the DIMM.

    Alternative #1: GO into bios to see what the motherboard thinks it is, and
    order that.

    Alternative #2: plug the make and model into http://www.crucial.com and
    buy what it turns up.

    --
    Keith
  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 08:51:30 -0400, Trent wrote:

    > On 19 May 2005 02:33:06 -0700 jomason@cba.ua.edu wrote in Message id:
    > <1116495186.259434.132760@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:
    >
    >>Del,
    >>
    >>I have it opened up. Where would I read on the SDRAM module to tell me
    >>what kind of memory and the number of pins?
    >>

    > How many notches along the side with the fingers?
    >
    > 1 = DDR
    > 2 = PC133

    That doesn't tell all. The position of the notches is important too.

    > If DDR, you need at least DDR-266. But getting higher speed memory is
    > never a bad idea, esp. if price difference is negligible.

    This isn't always a good idea either. There have been many reports of
    "faster" memory not working in slower machines.

    --
    Keith
  9. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    According to the Everest Home edition, the motherboard is an ECS P4VMM.
    According to Dr. Hardware utility, the memory is DDR SDRAM. According
    to http://www.crucial.com, the ECS P4VMM can use PC2100, PC2700, and PC
    3200 DDR SDRAM memory.

    Circuit City has the Kingston Technologies 512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
    Desktop Memory on sale this week for $73.99 less a $35.00 rebate for a
    net cost of $38.99. The weekly ad also advertises it as Kingston
    512MBPC3200/2700/2100. I think that I will buy one of those modules
    today. If it doesn't work, I will return it.

    Finally, every graphic/photo of DDR SDRAM DIMM memory module I have
    seen shows it to have two notches at each end of a module.

    Thanks for everyone's input. Now only if I could get past #*$( DVD
    Movie Player system file when trying to upgrade from WIN 98SE to WIN XP
    Pro. Unfortunately, the Upgrade freezes at that point; and I am
    extremely reluctant to do a complete install. However, that is another
    story.

    John

CPUs Hardware DDR SDRAM Computer IBM Product