New VERIZON customer.....1st bill EXPENSIVE!

My BF,his mom & Dad just signed up to VERIZON on a family share plan of
500 minutes ($59.99 monthly,i believe) on the end of JUNE.I just checked
the balance & it says its $231.32.Why the HECK is it that much? I
checked to see what the used minutes were & its only about 5 peak & 201
offpeak.Whats going on? Is it because its a 1st bill?
My BFs mom was told by the sales person where they bought the phone
the 1st bill would be expensive.Why is that?

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 02:27:44 -0400, LADYHELLRAZOR@webtv.net
(SweetAzzKANDEE) wrote:

>My BF,his mom & Dad just signed up to VERIZON on a family share plan of
>500 minutes ($59.99 monthly,i believe) on the end of JUNE.I just checked
>the balance & it says its $231.32.Why the HECK is it that much? I
>checked to see what the used minutes were & its only about 5 peak & 201
>offpeak.Whats going on? Is it because its a 1st bill?
> My BFs mom was told by the sales person where they bought the phone
>the 1st bill would be expensive.Why is that?

Because their first bill will contain a prorated amount from the start
date of service to the billing period end date, plus a month in
advance. When does their billing period end, and on what date did
they sign up? I presume they paid for all phones and accessories when
they signed up. Also, if there were three lines involved, add $10 for
the third line per month. And some states have an unbelievable
tax/fee burden. What state is the account in? Basically, where are
you getting this info from and what does it say the charges are for?

LADYHELLRAZOR@webtv.net (SweetAzzKANDEE) wrote in news:27530-42DF4060-210
@storefull-3115.bay.webtv.net:

> My BFs mom was told by the sales person where they bought the phone
> the 1st bill would be expensive.Why is that?

Verizon, like most other cell phone, cable, and utility companies, bills in
advance for the upcoming month. So your first bill is effectively for two
months...the month just ended and the following month.

Although I must admit that, even when adding up the package plus two
additional phones for two months and then being liberal with taxes and
fees, $231 still sounds rather high.

YES the bill does sound abnormally high.They signed up on JUNE 27th,& it
says the $231 bill is due on AUG.11th.We live in NYC.
So i'm guessing after Aug.11th the bill will be due the 11th of
every month?
Also,is this bill split 3 ways since its for 3 ppl or is it $231 for
each person on the account.

Don't forget the $20 per line activation fee. So you have $60 for the
first month, $60 for the second month, $10 for the extra line first
month, $10 for extra line second month, $60 in activation fees (if 2 yr
contract), abt $16 in taxes first month, $16 taxes second month. That
equals $232.

Lena

I just signed up for Verizon - the store rep explained the billing
process and did an estimate of the first bill... when the billling date
came onscreen he said "you're lucky, other people get a billing date
that's just passed and get a huge first bill."

I signed up Saturday and have already been billed, My Mother in law
signed up 4-5 weeks ago and hasn't been billed yet.

--
jeaniesing

It's not like you are paying *more* because you get such a large bill
all at once, It all works out in the long run. Some will get a
smaller bill sooner, covering a month or so, and have to start paying
sooner. Others get a larger bill later for almost a full two months,
and don't have to pay it until later. (I signed up on the 15th, got a
billing cycle ending on the 13th, and will have to pony up for two
months, estimated to be $280. After that, it should settle down to
under $100 per month for four lines).

Lena

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 03:11:14 -0400, LADYHELLRAZOR@webtv.net
(SweetAzzKANDEE) wrote:

>YES the bill does sound abnormally high.They signed up on JUNE 27th,& it
>says the $231 bill is due on AUG.11th.We live in NYC.
> So i'm guessing after Aug.11th the bill will be due the 11th of
>every month?
> Also,is this bill split 3 ways since its for 3 ppl or is it $231 for
>each person on the account.

I believe Lena may have explained why the bill is as high as it is,
but understand that the "due by" date is not the same as the billing
period ending date.

And yes, the due by date will be on or about the 11th of each month.

Why don't they call customer service? Oh, I forgot, that would be too easy.

SweetAzzKANDEE wrote:
> My BF,his mom & Dad just signed up to VERIZON on a family
> share plan of 500 minutes ($59.99 monthly,i believe) on
> the end of JUNE.I just checked the balance & it says its
> $231.32.Why the HECK is it that much? I checked to see
> what the used minutes were & its only about 5 peak & 201
> offpeak.Whats going on? Is it because its a 1st bill?
> My BFs mom was told by the sales person where they bought
> the phone the 1st bill would be expensive.Why is that?

Ummm, the charges are itemized on the bill. Did you look at
more than just the total? Did they buy equipment that is on
the bill?

-Quick

Fish

SweetAzzKANDEE, I don't know...

....but did anyone using the account download any ringtones or applications?

Text messaging is not free, neither is pix messaging.

Did you sign up for Mobil Web?

--
______________
=====fish=====

<<<but did anyone using the account
download any ringtones or applications?>>>
No downloads,no nothing.

<<<Did you sign up for Mobil Web?>>>
No they cant get web on tnat phone.They got the the deal where u get
free phones. the got the VX3200,so no web on that phone.

SweetAzzKANDEE wrote:
> <<<but did anyone using the account
> download any ringtones or applications?>>>
> No downloads,no nothing.
>
> <<<Did you sign up for Mobil Web?>>>
> No they cant get web on tnat phone.They got the the deal
> where u get free phones. the got the VX3200,so no web on
> that phone.

The phones are free. You still get taxed on full list price.
Did you read the bill yet?

-Quick

How about insurance?

> SweetAzzKANDEE wrote:
>> <<<but did anyone using the account
>> download any ringtones or applications?>>>
>> No downloads,no nothing.
>>
>> <<<Did you sign up for Mobil Web?>>>
>> No they cant get web on tnat phone.They got the the deal
>> where u get free phones. the got the VX3200,so no web on
>> that phone.
>
> The phones are free. You still get taxed on full list price.
> Did you read the bill yet?
>
> -Quick

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:03:12 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> chose to add this to the great equation of life, the
universe, and everything:

>On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 03:11:14 -0400, LADYHELLRAZOR@webtv.net
>(SweetAzzKANDEE) wrote:
>
>>YES the bill does sound abnormally high.They signed up on JUNE 27th,& it
>>says the $231 bill is due on AUG.11th.We live in NYC.
>> So i'm guessing after Aug.11th the bill will be due the 11th of
>>every month?
>> Also,is this bill split 3 ways since its for 3 ppl or is it $231 for
>>each person on the account.
>
>I believe Lena may have explained why the bill is as high as it is,
>but understand that the "due by" date is not the same as the billing
>period ending date.
>
>And yes, the due by date will be on or about the 11th of each month.

My usual payment due date is the 11th or 12th and the last day of my
billing cycle is the 18th.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Any man who watches more than three consecutive football games on TV in
one day can be declared legally dead." - Dr. Joyce Brothers

ShackAttack wrote:
> How about insurance?
>
> "Quick" <quick7135-news@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> SweetAzzKANDEE wrote:
>>> <<<but did anyone using the account
>>> download any ringtones or applications?>>>
>>> No downloads,no nothing.
>>>
>>> <<<Did you sign up for Mobil Web?>>>
>>> No they cant get web on tnat phone.They got the the deal
>>> where u get free phones. the got the VX3200,so no web on
>>> that phone.
>>
>> The phones are free. You still get taxed on full list
>> price. Did you read the bill yet?

What about insurance? If you are asking if you get taxed
on an insurance replacement the answer is no.

-Quick