Intel CEO tells us to buy a Mac

Intel President Paul Otellini says he spends an hour every weekend
cleaning up the spyware from his daughter's computer. Suggests we get a
Mac if we want to be secure.

http://blogs.siliconvalley.com/gmsv/2005/05/listening_to_pa.html

Yousuf Khan
7 answers Last reply
More about intel tells

    Buy something else?

    Like AMD?

    T.

    "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> writes:

    > Intel President Paul Otellini says he spends an hour every weekend
    > cleaning up the spyware from his daughter's computer. Suggests we get a
    > Mac if we want to be secure.
    >
    > http://blogs.siliconvalley.com/gmsv/2005/05/listening_to_pa.html

    Well, he was asked if a user should by a Mac, and said they should buy
    "something else" (my interpretation of the wording of the story is
    that he meant something other than Wintel, not something other than
    Mac).

    Gee, I don't have any trouble with spyware on my daughter's
    computer. She runs Linux.

    The word Linux might be a political hot potato which would get him in
    trouble with Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't mind the Mac, because it
    knows it's not a direct threat, and besides it even sells software for
    the Macs.

    Yousuf Khan

    Hmmmm use a MAC were most of my stuff dont work on or use linux were spyware
    is almost 0 but alas windows is here to stay now if only microsoft will
    figure out the best way to block adware is to ONLY allow what the USER wants
    then it will be fine...

    On 26 May 2005 13:59:19 -0700, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

    >Intel President Paul Otellini says he spends an hour every weekend
    >cleaning up the spyware from his daughter's computer. Suggests we get a
    >Mac if we want to be secure.
    >
    >http://blogs.siliconvalley.com/gmsv/2005/05/listening_to_pa.html
    >
    > Yousuf Khan

    Could this be connected with the rumor of "Intel Inside" Macs coming?

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 09:02:26 -0500, "Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net>
    wrote:
    >"YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> The word Linux might be a political hot potato which would get him in
    >> trouble with Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't mind the Mac, because it
    >> knows it's not a direct threat, and besides it even sells software for
    >> the Macs.
    >>
    >Hmmmm use a MAC were most of my stuff dont work on or use linux were spyware
    >is almost 0 but alas windows is here to stay now if only microsoft will
    >figure out the best way to block adware is to ONLY allow what the USER wants
    >then it will be fine...

    To be fair, Microsoft already KNOWS how to implement that and it is a
    perfectly valid option IFF you set you're WinXP system up correctly.
    The trouble is that over 99% of home users will setup their system so
    that they always have admin privileges. Now Microsoft is partly to
    blame for this in that they default to always giving users full admin
    rights, but they are also correct that they would have WAY more
    problems if they did not do this.

    Hell, even if they did correct this it's not like they would solve the
    problem. People just don't care enough to read what they're agreeing
    to on computers anymore, they just click "next" and enter their
    password when asked for it. If someone made spyware for Macs and OS X
    (where the default is to setup a root user for admin tasks and a
    non-privileged user for non-admin tasks) and it popped up a Window
    asking for a user to enter their password to install the app, I can
    guarantee that well over 50% of users will happily type in their admin
    password and to install the spyware without giving it a second
    thought.

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    On Fri, 27 May 2005 22:03:19 GMT, "nobody@nowhere.net"
    <mygarbage2000@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >On 26 May 2005 13:59:19 -0700, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Intel President Paul Otellini says he spends an hour every weekend
    >>cleaning up the spyware from his daughter's computer. Suggests we get a
    >>Mac if we want to be secure.
    >>
    >>http://blogs.siliconvalley.com/gmsv/2005/05/listening_to_pa.html
    >>
    >> Yousuf Khan
    >
    >Could this be connected with the rumor of "Intel Inside" Macs coming?

    Extremely doubtful. It's MUCH more likely that people are being dumb
    and reading *WAY* too much into an off-hand comment that didn't even
    endorsed Macs in the first place. He could just as well have been
    thinking more of Linux on Intel than Macs.

    Tony Hill

CPUs Intel Macintosh