Need help on barebones system with case, mobo, no CPU--Tha..

1. Have: I have a spare 3.0ghz P 4 CPU LGA 775 Socket 5xx series with
Heatsink, 2 sticks of 256MB of DDR2 400mhz memory, an 120mb IDE hard
drive (7200RPM, 8mb cache), modem, floppy drive, 2 CD-RW's (one is a
DVD ROM). The other compnents in an older machine are not removable.

2. Do Not Have: What I do not have is a Case, Power supply,
Mobo-motherboard, LAN card, low End Sound Card, low End Graphics Card
to start.

Since I am currently unemployed I need some things to do besides
looking for a job as IT Manager, Project Manager, etc...

Any recommendations on a kit that comes with a Case, MOBO (no CPU) that
can provide a basis to add my CPU and other compnents from 1 above, and
also might supply #2 to some degree?

THank you for several options. Rather have the CASE and MOBO and Power
Supply all put together already if possible. If not, but separately
good prices, no problem. Again hard disk I have is IDE not SATA.

Thanks, Patty
4 answers Last reply
More about need barebones system case mobo

    Found this site which may help me:
    http://www.xtechnology.com/SCR/Xtcat.dll/ListLinesC?CategID=51

    Thanks, Patty

    On 27 May 2005 14:11:00 -0700, pattyjamas@hotmail.com wrote:

    >1. Have: I have a spare 3.0ghz P 4 CPU LGA 775 Socket 5xx series with
    >Heatsink, 2 sticks of 256MB of DDR2 400mhz memory, an 120mb IDE hard
    >drive (7200RPM, 8mb cache), modem, floppy drive, 2 CD-RW's (one is a
    >DVD ROM). The other compnents in an older machine are not removable.
    >

    >2. Do Not Have: What I do not have is a Case, Power supply,
    >Mobo-motherboard, LAN card, low End Sound Card, low End Graphics Card
    >to start.

    All recent mbrds I've seen/bought have on-board LAN and sound and finding a
    suitable integrated graphics mbrd should be no problem.

    >Since I am currently unemployed I need some things to do besides
    >looking for a job as IT Manager, Project Manager, etc...
    >
    >Any recommendations on a kit that comes with a Case, MOBO (no CPU) that
    >can provide a basis to add my CPU and other compnents from 1 above, and
    >also might supply #2 to some degree?
    >

    >THank you for several options. Rather have the CASE and MOBO and Power
    >Supply all put together already if possible. If not, but separately
    >good prices, no problem. Again hard disk I have is IDE not SATA.

    Since all you need is a mbrd and case w. P/S, why not just buy them from
    one of the vendors like www.newegg.com and put the mbrd in yourself - I
    find it easier to put in CPU and especially memory into fresh slots with
    the mbrd out of the case anyway. The only chore is dressing the cables and
    with round IDE & floppy cables that's now easier.

    If you're looking for brand recommendations, I currently like MSI for mbrds
    and Antec for a case.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

    Thanks George. I lean toward MSI as well.

    WIll look at Newegg.com. Been there before and also put together PC's
    before. Sometimes you ojust want to take a break.

    Thanks so much
    Patty

    Found the people at Maximum Value Computer to be EXTREMELY helpful over
    the 10 other companies I wrote (and heard little or nothing back). And
    great prices. I am not associated with them in any way other than
    talking to them and buying a barebones kit: They know their stuff and
    have an 800#. Good support.

    http://www.mcvpc.com/

    Patty

CPUs Cases