  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
June 3, 2005 1:39:40 PM

I'm sure that just as everyone is supposed to have a novel inside them,
everyone here probably has an idea of how their perfect GTA game would pan
out. What's yours?

My own ideal GTA game is one with three (or more) cities, but they're all
the same city at different periods in time. Say in the first bit you're one
character, and you've got a teenage son. You get through a load of missions,
and then get to the next level.

In this next level we skip forward a few years, and now we're playing the
son of the first main character as a grown man. The city has changed, it's
getting more modern, with new vehicles as appropriate. Maybe we run into our
father at some point, maybe he's a big mafia boss now after our good work in
the first level.

Skip forward again, and we're our own grandson, trying to hold together the
crime syndicate after the father's death. Maybe we have the choice of trying
to go legitimate or sticking with our criminal life. Either way things are
hard in the city now - our actions in the previous two levels have advanced
out own career at the cost of the city's innocence.

I know it sounds fairly similar to the plot of the Godfather films, but hey,
they were good films. I just love the idea of a "GTA:Generations", in which
we travel through, say, the 1950s, 1960s and 1980s.

Think of the musical possibilities: we go through Elvis and Buddy Holly,
through the Beatles and the Stones, and then get back into some good old
Vice City-style 80's stuff (there's plenty of excellent 80s music left to
use).

Then there's the vehicles, and the architecture. We could see the city
evolve over time, actually see the results of our earlier missions. With a
good enough twisting plot it could be the game of the century. The story of
a family, and of a city, through time. Sort of "The Godfather" meets
"Goodfellas" meets "Star Wars" meets "Back to the Future".

So how about you?

Cheers

Chris

More about : fantasy gta game

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 6:45:44 PM

Chris Wright wrote in news:42a01747$1@nntp.onyx.net:

> I'm sure that just as everyone is supposed to have a novel inside
> them, everyone here probably has an idea of how their perfect GTA
> game would pan out. What's yours?
>
> My own ideal GTA game is one with three (or more) cities, but they're
> all the same city at different periods in time. Say in the first bit
> you're one character, and you've got a teenage son. You get through a
> load of missions, and then get to the next level.

Sort of like three complete GTA games on one disc? Could be fun. Instead of
being different characters, I'd rather it happen this way: get to a certain
point, and a several-minutes-long video clip plays showing the progress over
a given period of time, maybe 2-10 years. Good and bad things happen,
certain parts of the city are built up and torn down a little, but for the
most part it's the same city... and now, of course, a few newer cars are
available and the older ones -- while still around -- are harder to find.

This could happen two or three times throughout the game before you're
finally too old to keep on, and your last mission could be chasing down
three or four gang bosses trying to take over your position as the city's
boss. In the end, there are four different possible endings, depending on
which one of the four you leave alive. (Re-do the mission later to see the
other possible endings.)

Actually, my ideal GTA is exactly what it is now plus a few more performance
and gameplay tweaks, and then one key thing:

MISSION SELECT MODE!

I want to be able to go back and play any mission I have already completed
once the storyline has been completed. It would add soooo much to repeated
gameplay, because I could go back and practice Zero's missions (wtf would I
want to do that) or the bike-chase-through-San-Fierro mission... or the
stealth mission into Area 69... I just want to be able to replay completed
missions!
June 4, 2005 2:59:12 AM

"JPM III" <jpmccord@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> MISSION SELECT MODE!
>
> I want to be able to go back and play any mission I have already completed
> once the storyline has been completed. It would add soooo much to repeated
> gameplay, because I could go back and practice Zero's missions (wtf would
> I want to do that) or the bike-chase-through-San-Fierro mission... or the
> stealth mission into Area 69... I just want to be able to replay completed
> missions!

You could buy a shitload of memory cards and save after every mission in a
different slot.
June 4, 2005 3:54:38 AM

Razor wrote:
> "JPM III" <jpmccord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > MISSION SELECT MODE!
> >
> > I want to be able to go back and play any mission I have already completed
> > once the storyline has been completed. It would add soooo much to repeated
> > gameplay, because I could go back and practice Zero's missions (wtf would
> > I want to do that) or the bike-chase-through-San-Fierro mission... or the
> > stealth mission into Area 69... I just want to be able to replay completed
> > missions!
> >

> You could buy a shitload of memory cards and save after every mission in a
> different slot.

GTA set in the "Star Wars" galaxy. Your crime bosses are the Hutts and
over creatures, and you get to go to heaps of planets, and see
locations that you saw in the films, hijack Vader's super-star
destroyer, fight bounty hunters like Boba Fett, bulid up jedi/lighsaber
skills...get Lucasfilm's approval and go with it.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 4:36:27 PM

My fantasy GTA game probably wouldn't stray too far away from what we have now,
except:

A choice of characters to play as or the ability to create your own. Perhaps
there could be a brother/sister element with missions suited to one or the
other, or the option to choose a crime family to play as, with missions
customised for each family (increases replayability as the missions would be
different for each 'family' if you see what I mean)

Real-time clock, or at least longer days than we have in the game at present.
Driving around a supposed 'state' where a day passes in under twenty minutes is
a little unrealistic now. The real-time clock element (which could be swiched
off if desired) would mean the time and day in the game being the same as the
time and day in real life, and weather events would have a more realistic
lifespan.

A larger state, but this time with missions actually making use of some of those
seemingly abandoned buildings dotted around the countryside. At the same time,
even though there were vast expanses of desert in San Andreas, with all the cars
driving around it didn't really feel deserted as it should.

Intelligent drivers - not the arseholes who ram your backside when you're
turning off a freeway or simply slowing down.

Snow, and a bigger version of Mount Chiliad!

Regional radio stations that only come into play when you drive into a city. TV
stations on those TVs dotted around your safehouses.

The moon to have real phases than the lunar eclipse cycle Rockstar saw fit to
use this time around...

Muggings and other interactions with pedestrians rather than just killing them.

Companions - We have the ability to recruit gang members, but what about peds?
(yes I know about the 'recruit anyone' cheat!)

Animals - Deemed unnecessary for San Andreas, but would add a little sense of
realism. At the very least, let's have some ambient sounds this time around!

I'm sure there's more...

Paul.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 6:00:59 PM

> Companions - We have the ability to recruit gang members, but what about
peds?
> (yes I know about the 'recruit anyone' cheat!)

What about online play, with gang loyalties etc?
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 8:22:34 PM

"G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote in message
> > Companions - We have the ability to recruit gang members, but what about
> peds?
> > (yes I know about the 'recruit anyone' cheat!)
>
> What about online play, with gang loyalties etc?

I've never seen the attraction with online play (too expensive), but the idea of
gang loyalties, and even the thought of peds and others being real people would
get me tempted. It would give the cities a proper feel of being 'alive'.

Paul.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 11:19:57 PM

Grand Theft Auto: The Big Easy

The game takes place in the present in the fictional state Big Easy (mix of
Louisiana and Texas). You've just moved to the city and take a job as a
bouncer at a nightclub. You help out a girl who is being harrassed and she
repays you with an invitation to her bedroom. Then the cops bust in, and
you find out you're with the governer's daughter. He forces you to deal
with his political rivals, which initially just means beating up and
intimidating them. A political rival of the governers starts to campaign in
nearby Dallas and you are sent there to deal with him. Eventually, you must
get to the School Book Dipository in Dealy Plaza and want for the rival to
drive down the street during a parade. You Lee Harvey Osward him, which
gives you a six star wanted level that can't be reduced by changing clothes
or going to a Pay and Spray. You have to head south and cross the border
into Mexico. You become a drug smuggler and eventually get to make a deal
big enough to have you set for life. But your buyer is back in New Orleans.
You head back on a motorcycle, doing some missions that mimic the movie Easy
Rider. When you get to New Orleans, it's Mardi Gras. Parades can block
certain roads, and you can also steal the parade floats and drive them.
Side missions include stealing camcorders from tourists and you then have
two minutes to get as many girls to flash for the camera as possible. The
more flashes, the more money you make by selling the tape to Girls Gone
Wild. Once you've sold the drugs, you have to deal with the governer. You
can't kill him because you like his daughter, so you run against him and do
missions that destroy his public image. On the last mission, you become
governer. At that point, the game unlocks more of the side missions like
Paramedic, Vigilante, and hidden packages, so you have to complete the game
once before you get extra items at your hideout. Also, the game would have
six or so mini games that will trigger after you complete all of the
missions where other rivals attempt to take you out. They trigger randomly
as you go about town, but you can turn this option off if you want to.
Then, you can replay all of the missions while keeping all of the money,
weapons, bribes, that you accumulated the first time through. And there
must be a radio station with all cajun music like Professor Longhair, Dr.
John, Buckwheat Zydeco, etc.

"Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com> wrote in message
> I'm sure that just as everyone is supposed to have a novel inside them,
> everyone here probably has an idea of how their perfect GTA game would pan
> out. What's yours?
>
> My own ideal GTA game is one with three (or more) cities, but they're all
> the same city at different periods in time. Say in the first bit you're
> one character, and you've got a teenage son. You get through a load of
> missions, and then get to the next level.
>
> In this next level we skip forward a few years, and now we're playing the
> son of the first main character as a grown man. The city has changed, it's
> getting more modern, with new vehicles as appropriate. Maybe we run into
> our father at some point, maybe he's a big mafia boss now after our good
> work in the first level.
>
> Skip forward again, and we're our own grandson, trying to hold together
> the crime syndicate after the father's death. Maybe we have the choice of
> trying to go legitimate or sticking with our criminal life. Either way
> things are hard in the city now - our actions in the previous two levels
> have advanced out own career at the cost of the city's innocence.
>
> I know it sounds fairly similar to the plot of the Godfather films, but
> hey, they were good films. I just love the idea of a "GTA:Generations", in
> which we travel through, say, the 1950s, 1960s and 1980s.
>
> Think of the musical possibilities: we go through Elvis and Buddy Holly,
> through the Beatles and the Stones, and then get back into some good old
> Vice City-style 80's stuff (there's plenty of excellent 80s music left to
> use).
>
> Then there's the vehicles, and the architecture. We could see the city
> evolve over time, actually see the results of our earlier missions. With a
> good enough twisting plot it could be the game of the century. The story
> of a family, and of a city, through time. Sort of "The Godfather" meets
> "Goodfellas" meets "Star Wars" meets "Back to the Future".
>
> So how about you?
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 2:01:37 PM

Well thought out idea on The Big Easy. As far as US locations go for
GTA settings, Texas should be next. Would like to see Chicago some
time in the future too. Hawaii would be too much like Vice City though.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 10:55:44 PM

In message <1117990896.966088.310470@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>
adrian.swiatkowski@gmail.com wrote:

> Well thought out idea on The Big Easy. As far as US locations go for
> GTA settings, Texas should be next. Would like to see Chicago some
> time in the future too. Hawaii would be too much like Vice City though.

I'd like to see a GTA with the characters of Robert Rankin or Terry
Pratchett.

Cheers,
Rob
June 6, 2005 5:49:41 AM

Rob White wrote:
..

> I'd like to see a GTA with the characters of Robert Rankin or Terry
> Pratchett.

I want to play The Kid in Dhalgren (by Samuel R. Delany), in that city.
June 6, 2005 6:03:40 AM

Baby, all you need is ragdoll physics and blood and we're away... ;)

Implement what you can do in Hitman to GTA and we're laughing all the way to
the morgue.

aj
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:55:33 PM

adrian.swiatkowski@gmail.com wrote in

> Razor wrote:
> > "JPM III" <jpmccord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > MISSION SELECT MODE!
> > >
> > > I want to be able to go back and play any mission I have already
> > > completed once the storyline has been completed. It would add
> > > soooo much to repeated gameplay, because I could go back and
> > > practice Zero's missions (wtf would I want to do that) or the
> > > bike-chase-through-San-Fierro mission... or the stealth mission
> > > into Area 69... I just want to be able to replay completed
> > > missions!
> > >

> > You could buy a shitload of memory cards and save after every
> > mission in a different slot.
>
> GTA set in the "Star Wars" galaxy. Your crime bosses are the Hutts and
> over creatures, and you get to go to heaps of planets, and see
> locations that you saw in the films, hijack Vader's super-star
> destroyer, fight bounty hunters like Boba Fett, bulid up
> jedi/lighsaber skills...get Lucasfilm's approval and go with it.

I thought most Star Wars games already implemented half of this stuff. Seems
to me like this wouldn't be a GTA title at all... but a Star Wars title
using some ideas from the GTA games (weapons and piloting skills based on
usage, etc.).
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:56:40 PM

Razor wrote in news:D 7qjrj$f3d$1@reader01.news.esat.net:

> "JPM III" <jpmccord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > MISSION SELECT MODE!
> >
> > I want to be able to go back and play any mission I have already
> > completed once the storyline has been completed. It would add soooo
> > much to repeated gameplay, because I could go back and practice
> > Zero's missions (wtf would I want to do that) or the
> > bike-chase-through-San-Fierro mission... or the stealth mission
> > into Area 69... I just want to be able to replay completed missions!
>
> You could buy a shitload of memory cards and save after every mission
> in a different slot.

Or they could just leave the mission select mode in the game. It's there in
the development versions, but it's taken out in the final version. They
could just leave it in and add a button code to activate it. Or just make it
so it isn't available until you've beaten the storyline.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:59:17 PM

Paul Evans wrote in news:3gdhs0FbttemU1@individual.net:

> My fantasy GTA game probably wouldn't stray too far away from what we
> have now, except:
>
> A choice of characters to play as or the ability to create your own.
> Perhaps there could be a brother/sister element with missions suited
> to one or the other, or the option to choose a crime family to play
> as, with missions customised for each family (increases replayability
> as the missions would be different for each 'family' if you see what
> I mean)
>
> Real-time clock, or at least longer days than we have in the game at
> present. Driving around a supposed 'state' where a day passes in
> under twenty minutes is a little unrealistic now. The real-time clock
> element (which could be swiched off if desired) would mean the time
> and day in the game being the same as the time and day in real life,
> and weather events would have a more realistic lifespan.
>
> A larger state, but this time with missions actually making use of
> some of those seemingly abandoned buildings dotted around the
> countryside. At the same time, even though there were vast expanses
> of desert in San Andreas, with all the cars driving around it didn't
> really feel deserted as it should.
>
> Intelligent drivers - not the arseholes who ram your backside when
> you're turning off a freeway or simply slowing down.
>
> Snow, and a bigger version of Mount Chiliad!
>
> Regional radio stations that only come into play when you drive into
> a city. TV stations on those TVs dotted around your safehouses.
>
> The moon to have real phases than the lunar eclipse cycle Rockstar
> saw fit to use this time around...
>
> Muggings and other interactions with pedestrians rather than just
> killing them.
>
> Companions - We have the ability to recruit gang members, but what
> about peds? (yes I know about the 'recruit anyone' cheat!)
>
> Animals - Deemed unnecessary for San Andreas, but would add a little
> sense of realism. At the very least, let's have some ambient sounds
> this time around!
>
> I'm sure there's more...

I see nothing wrong with going out into the woods with a flame thrower,
roasting a rabit or a deer, and then eating it. Running them over could be
fun too. And... deer!

.... Never mind.

I like your suggestions.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 9:05:33 PM

> Well thought out idea on The Big Easy. As far as US locations go for
> GTA settings, Texas should be next. Would like to see Chicago some
> time in the future too. Hawaii would be too much like Vice City
> though.

Make a huge map shaped like the US with urban areas where the big cities
would be, mountains where the Rockies would be, water where the lakes would
be, etc. Make the map so huge that crossing the full map east to west would
take 10+ minutes.

Make a huge map with three different sections connected by airports. Liberty
City (expanded!), Vice City (expanded!), and San Andreas. Maybe they can add
in Carser City and it can be basically attached to Liberty City.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 9:17:10 PM

Higher wanted level options. Bump it up to 8 stars. And if you actually lead
cops on a high speed chase, you automatically get 3 stars just for
endangering other traffic!

1 star: only the witnessing cops notice you. they'll call for backup, but if
you run around a corner or change cars when they're not looking, they'll
forget about you, and only the original cops will actually chase.

2 stars: a couple other cops might show up, and they'll chase a little more.

3 stars: a lot more cops, more aggressive chasing, occasional road blocks,
one chopper.

4 stars: enforcer trucks, bigger road blocks, shooting out tires, spike
strips, rifle and shotgun fire, etc.

5 stars: undercover cops/FBI, another chopper, some automatic weapons

6 stars: military vehicles and soldiers (no tanks)

7 stars: tanks, apache (hunter) helicopters

8 stars: air force (jets, missiles in open areas, etc.), torpedos at boats

And if your crimes ever involve high-ranking mafia/government officials,
bring in the Secret Service!
June 12, 2005 3:54:21 AM

> Razor wrote in news:D 7qjrj$f3d$1@reader01.news.esat.net:
>>
>> "JPM III" <jpmccord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > MISSION SELECT MODE!
>> >
>> > I want to be able to go back and play any mission I have already
>> > completed once the storyline has been completed. It would add soooo
>> > much to repeated gameplay, because I could go back and practice
>> > Zero's missions (wtf would I want to do that) or the
>> > bike-chase-through-San-Fierro mission... or the stealth mission
>> > into Area 69... I just want to be able to replay completed missions!
>>
>> You could buy a shitload of memory cards and save after every mission
>> in a different slot.
>
> Or they could just leave the mission select mode in the game. It's there
> in the development versions, but it's taken out in the final version. They
> could just leave it in and add a button code to activate it. Or just make
> it so it isn't available until you've beaten the storyline.

It was also available in some of the earlier Tomb Raiders but they took it
out of that aswell. Pity.
June 12, 2005 3:56:29 AM

> Higher wanted level options. Bump it up to 8 stars. And if you actually
> lead cops on a high speed chase, you automatically get 3 stars just for
> endangering other traffic!
>

> 1 star: only the witnessing cops notice you. they'll call for backup, but
> if you run around a corner or change cars when they're not looking,
> they'll forget about you, and only the original cops will actually chase.
>
> 2 stars: a couple other cops might show up, and they'll chase a little
> more.
>
> 3 stars: a lot more cops, more aggressive chasing, occasional road blocks,
> one chopper.
>
> 4 stars: enforcer trucks, bigger road blocks, shooting out tires, spike
> strips, rifle and shotgun fire, etc.
>
> 5 stars: undercover cops/FBI, another chopper, some automatic weapons
>
> 6 stars: military vehicles and soldiers (no tanks)
>
> 7 stars: tanks, apache (hunter) helicopters
>
> 8 stars: air force (jets, missiles in open areas, etc.), torpedos at boats
>

> And if your crimes ever involve high-ranking mafia/government officials,
> bring in the Secret Service!

9 stars: Nuke whatever city you're in.

10 stars: The Vogons destroy the planet. ;-)
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 5:15:51 AM

Razor wrote in news:D 8fq67$8im$1@reader01.news.esat.net:

> "JPM III" <jpmccord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Higher wanted level options. Bump it up to 8 stars. And if you
> > actually lead cops on a high speed chase, you automatically get 3
> > stars just for endangering other traffic!
> >

> > 1 star: only the witnessing cops notice you. they'll call for
> > backup, but if you run around a corner or change cars when they're
> > not looking, they'll forget about you, and only the original cops
> > will actually chase. 2 stars: a couple other cops might show up, and
> > they'll chase a
> > little more.
> >
> > 3 stars: a lot more cops, more aggressive chasing, occasional road
> > blocks, one chopper.
> >
> > 4 stars: enforcer trucks, bigger road blocks, shooting out tires,
> > spike strips, rifle and shotgun fire, etc.
> >
> > 5 stars: undercover cops/FBI, another chopper, some automatic
> > weapons 6 stars: military vehicles and soldiers (no tanks)
> >
> > 7 stars: tanks, apache (hunter) helicopters
> >
> > 8 stars: air force (jets, missiles in open areas, etc.), torpedos
> > at boats And if your crimes ever involve high-ranking mafia/government
> > officials, bring in the Secret Service!
> >

> 9 stars: Nuke whatever city you're in.
>
> 10 stars: The Vogons destroy the planet. ;-)

But the Vogons didn't do anything due to any criminal activity. The planet
was just in the way. And by in the way, I mean they didn't feel like going
around it.
June 12, 2005 12:37:08 PM

> Razor wrote in news:D 8fq67$8im$1@reader01.news.esat.net:
>>
>> "JPM III" <jpmccord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Higher wanted level options. Bump it up to 8 stars. And if you
>> > actually lead cops on a high speed chase, you automatically get 3
>> > stars just for endangering other traffic!
>> >

>> > 1 star: only the witnessing cops notice you. they'll call for
>> > backup, but if you run around a corner or change cars when they're
>> > not looking, they'll forget about you, and only the original cops
>> > will actually chase. 2 stars: a couple other cops might show up, and
>> > they'll chase a
>> > little more.
>> >
>> > 3 stars: a lot more cops, more aggressive chasing, occasional road
>> > blocks, one chopper.
>> >
>> > 4 stars: enforcer trucks, bigger road blocks, shooting out tires,
>> > spike strips, rifle and shotgun fire, etc.
>> >
>> > 5 stars: undercover cops/FBI, another chopper, some automatic
>> > weapons 6 stars: military vehicles and soldiers (no tanks)
>> >
>> > 7 stars: tanks, apache (hunter) helicopters
>> >
>> > 8 stars: air force (jets, missiles in open areas, etc.), torpedos
>> > at boats And if your crimes ever involve high-ranking mafia/government
>> > officials, bring in the Secret Service!
>> >

>> 9 stars: Nuke whatever city you're in.
>>
>> 10 stars: The Vogons destroy the planet. ;-)
>
> But the Vogons didn't do anything due to any criminal activity. The planet
> was just in the way. And by in the way, I mean they didn't feel like going
> around it.

Hey, who's designing this game...you or me? ;-)
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 4:26:29 PM

Razor wrote in news:D 8gomb$ha6$1@reader01.news.esat.net:

> "JPM III" <jpmccord@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Razor wrote in news:D 8fq67$8im$1@reader01.news.esat.net:
> > >
> > > "JPM III" <jpmccord@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > 9 stars: Nuke whatever city you're in.
> > >
> > > 10 stars: The Vogons destroy the planet. ;-)
> >
> > But the Vogons didn't do anything due to any criminal activity. The
> > planet was just in the way. And by in the way, I mean they didn't
> > feel like going around it.
> >

> Hey, who's designing this game...you or me? ;-)

I'm just floating ideas!

The other problem... how are you going to find room for 10 stars?!

Also, I liked the old health meter that had the actual number on the screen.
The little red and green bars were annoying! Numbers! Numbers!
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 9:17:15 PM

LOL..Vogons destroy the planet LOL..but...in which universe is it in?

Gary

--

-- http://compute-it.net/
--We use duct tape to fix everything, GOD used NAILS!

!