Verizon coverage in Bermuda and Bahamas (Paradise Island),..

Last response: in Network Providers
July 21, 2005 8:59:39 PM

Does anyone know the status of Verizon coverage and costs in the islands? I
have the VX6000 phone. I called Verizon and was told that Bermuda coverage
is limited to Hamilton. Rates are $1.49 per minute, but only $.35 per minute
if you have the international plan, which is only a few dollars per month
and can be added at any time. I was told the Paradise Island rates are
"whatever they charge" since Verizon has no contract with a local servicer.

It is very important to me that I be able to stay in touch while I am away,
and I need to be using my own phone, so people know where to reach me. It is
not practical to advise everyone of my plans (and I don't necessarily want
folks to know my whereabouts) while I am away. I also need to be able to
call and have my own number show up on the recipient's CallerID.

The rep I spoke with didn't seem to have a very good handle on the
situation. This is so important to me that I would select my destination
based upon coverage (and secondarily, cost), so I need reliable information.
Does anyone know where in the Carribean and/or Bermuda I will be able to
place and receive call on my current phone, and the cost of such calls? Many
thanks.
July 21, 2005 10:18:15 PM

"Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote in news:%vQDe.11592$SZ3.8085@trndny02:

> Does anyone know the status of Verizon coverage and costs in the islands?

Contact your hotel in the islands to see what rates on cellphones they can
get for you to use temporarily while staying at the hotel.

--
Larry
Anonymous

"Larry" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
> "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote in news:%vQDe.11592$SZ3.8085@trndny02:
>
>> Does anyone know the status of Verizon coverage and costs in the islands?
>
> Contact your hotel in the islands to see what rates on cellphones they can
> get for you to use temporarily while staying at the hotel.

I went into some detail as to why I need to use my own phone. It would be a
tad easier if that were not the case, but it is. Even if I cannot receive
calls, it would be nice to know what it costs to make calls on my own
cellphone. As I mentioned, I need to use my own cell phone so that my number
will appear on the recipient's CallerID. It is important that people not
know my whereabouts while I am away. I could try CID spoofing, but I would
prefer to keep things simple.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 22, 2005 12:07:26 AM

In article <c2WDe.10758$_x.10542@fe11.lga>, Z Man <z1z@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I went into some detail as to why I need to use my own phone. It would be a
> tad easier if that were not the case, but it is. Even if I cannot receive
> calls, it would be nice to know what it costs to make calls on my own
> cellphone. As I mentioned, I need to use my own cell phone so that my number
> will appear on the recipient's CallerID. It is important that people not
> know my whereabouts while I am away. I could try CID spoofing, but I would
> prefer to keep things simple.

The only Verizon coverage I found in the Caribbean last year was US
Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. In the Bahamas I would get an analog
signal where the local wireless company requested a credit card number.
I never actually made a call from the Bahamas.

--
Charles
July 22, 2005 4:07:04 AM

I went to Paradise Island last year and my VZW phone didn't work. The local
telco, Batelco, I don't believe has a roaming agreement with Verizon.
Cingular does work there and T-Mobile might, courtesy of GSM.
"Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know the status of Verizon coverage and costs in the islands?
> have the VX6000 phone. I called Verizon and was told that Bermuda coverage
> is limited to Hamilton. Rates are $1.49 per minute, but only $.35 per
minute
> if you have the international plan, which is only a few dollars per month
> and can be added at any time. I was told the Paradise Island rates are
> "whatever they charge" since Verizon has no contract with a local
servicer.

> It is very important to me that I be able to stay in touch while I am
away,
> and I need to be using my own phone, so people know where to reach me. It
is
> not practical to advise everyone of my plans (and I don't necessarily want
> folks to know my whereabouts) while I am away. I also need to be able to
> call and have my own number show up on the recipient's CallerID.
>
> The rep I spoke with didn't seem to have a very good handle on the
> situation. This is so important to me that I would select my destination
> based upon coverage (and secondarily, cost), so I need reliable
information.
> Does anyone know where in the Carribean and/or Bermuda I will be able to
> place and receive call on my current phone, and the cost of such calls?
Many
> thanks.

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 1:30:31 AM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:59:39 GMT, "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Does anyone know the status of Verizon coverage and costs in the islands? I
>have the VX6000 phone. I called Verizon and was told that Bermuda coverage
>is limited to Hamilton. Rates are $1.49 per minute, but only $.35 per minute
>if you have the international plan, which is only a few dollars per month
>and can be added at any time.

Verizon web site says calls in Bermuda are 69 c/min. Ahh... but I see on
another page that it says "plus pass through of serving carrier's tolls,
taxes and surcharges".

I'd be surprised that there's only coverage in Hamilton. My guess is
that they have a list of cities where coverage is provided, and they only
list Hamilton because it's the only place in Bermuda that comes close to
being counted as a city.

See http://mobileoptions.vzw.com/international/roaming/berm...
You'll need the "International dialing feature" added to your calling
plan. But another page says that's not necessary.

Sounds to me like you should just take your phone and see if it works.
If you have trouble, call Verizon at 803-400-4455 (supposedly toll and
airtime free).

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."

"Scott" <scott@nospam.net> wrote in message
>I went to Paradise Island last year and my VZW phone didn't work. The
>local
> telco, Batelco, I don't believe has a roaming agreement with Verizon.
> Cingular does work there and T-Mobile might, courtesy of GSM.

That's pretty much what the Verizon rep told me, but she didn't seem to be
certain. Now, the facts are confirmed. Thanks.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 11:03:03 PM

"Bob Scheurle" <njtbob@X-verizon-X.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:59:39 GMT, "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>Does anyone know the status of Verizon coverage and costs in the islands?
>>have the VX6000 phone. I called Verizon and was told that Bermuda coverage
>>is limited to Hamilton. Rates are $1.49 per minute, but only $.35 per
>>minute
>>if you have the international plan, which is only a few dollars per month
>>and can be added at any time.
>
> Verizon web site says calls in Bermuda are 69 c/min. Ahh... but I see on
> another page that it says "plus pass through of serving carrier's tolls,
> taxes and surcharges".
>
> I'd be surprised that there's only coverage in Hamilton. My guess is
> that they have a list of cities where coverage is provided, and they only
> list Hamilton because it's the only place in Bermuda that comes close to
> being counted as a city.
>
> See http://mobileoptions.vzw.com/international/roaming/berm...
> You'll need the "International dialing feature" added to your calling
> plan. But another page says that's not necessary.
>
> Sounds to me like you should just take your phone and see if it works.
> If you have trouble, call Verizon at 803-400-4455 (supposedly toll and
> airtime free).

Well, all considered, Bermuda seems to be the best bet, based upon cell
phone coverage. The Verizon rep told me about the international plan, but
she told me the cost is $1.49 w/o the plan and $.39 with the plan. In
reading the link you provided:

the thing that makes me nervous is the part about 'pass-through of serving
carrier's long distance charges, TAXES AND SURCHARGES" (emphasis added).
That could add up to a whole lot of money. I went to Cancun a couple of
years ago, and found that I could make calls using my cellphone, but the
rates were high. I don't remember just how much, but I do recall that calls
were quite expensive. Of course, I didn't find that out until I returned to
the US and got my bill (some of the charges didn't hit my bill until a
couple of billing cycles later). The thing that kind of irks me is the lack
of information. Since I cannot positively determine the cost, in advance, I
cannot make an informed decision as to whether it is worth it.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 12:41:40 PM

"Charles" <fort514@mac.com> wrote in message
> The only Verizon coverage I found in the Caribbean last year was US
> Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. In the Bahamas I would get an analog
> signal where the local wireless company requested a credit card number.
> I never actually made a call from the Bahamas.
>
> --
> Charles
Does in-calling apply when in the Virgin Islands?
July 28, 2005 10:28:51 PM

In article <8T0Ge.22073$iG6.1041@tornado.tampabay.rr.com>, RichC
<rcacace{REMOVE_TO_REPLY}@swfla.rr.com> wrote:

> Does in-calling apply when in the Virgin Islands?

The US Virgin Islands are roaming, not included in the America's Choice
plans so no, in calling would not apply.

--
Charles
!