Who are leading Processor and Mother board manufacturers i..

Hello,

I am looking for who are leading Processors (for PC and laptop) and
mother board manufacturers in the world. I would like to buy in bulk
for cheap price, please let me know. Appreciated.
15 answers Last reply
More about leading processor mother board manufacturers

    On 3 Jun 2005 03:19:30 -0700, santa19992000@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am looking for who are leading Processors (for PC and laptop) and
    >mother board manufacturers in the world. I would like to buy in bulk
    >for cheap price, please let me know. Appreciated.

    The #1 processor manufacturer in the world for PC and laptop
    processors is Intel, with roughly 80% of the desktop PC market and
    roughly 90% of the laptop market. Second place in both markets is AMD
    with the great bulk of the remaining marketshare. IBM also gets their
    nose in there as a distant third (about 1-2% of the market) with the
    chips they sell to Apple, but I don't think they are what you have in
    mind. VIA and Transmeta are about the only other manufacturers I know
    of for PC and laptop processors, but they each have less than 1% of
    the marketshare.

    FWIW though, none of these companies sell direct to buyers, and when
    you talk about bulk, you're talking small peanuts. Intel sells direct
    to MAJOR OEMs, ie Dell and HPaq, who buy on the order of 30-50 million
    units a year. If you're looking at anything less than a million
    processors a year, you definitely need to talk to a distributor rather
    than the manufacturer directly. In fact, even for a million chips a
    year Intel would probably send you to a distributor, though AMD might
    lend an ear.

    A similar story exists for motherboards, though there are more
    companies producing them. The #1 and #2 manufacturers of desktop PC
    motherboards are Asus and ECS, though I don't know which order they
    are in at the moment. Gigabyte and MSI are also big. On the laptop
    side Arima, Quanta and Compal dominate the market, but that's because
    they make the entire laptops. These three companies are the
    outsourced manufacturers for laptops for Dell, HPaq, Gateway, IBM and
    others. Asus exists in this market too, but last I checked they were
    a pretty distant competitor.

    Again, none of these companies do much in the way of direct sales
    unless you're a major OEM.

    The long story short here is that you're asking the wrong question.
    The real question you should be asking is NOT about the
    manufacturer's, but rather who are the big DISTRIBUTERS you should be
    contacting. I would suggesting looking up the name "Ingram Micro" as
    a good starting point.

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    Tony,

    Thanks for youe e-mail. I would like to supply the desktop and laptop
    for very cheap price to the third world countries like Bangladesh,
    Srilanka, India, Pakistan and some other African countries. Brandded
    ones are very expensive, that is why I am looking for non-branded ones,
    I would like to buy in Bulk, I would like to provide one year warranty
    with Linux like OS on to those PC's (by loading Linux can ssave some
    manoy - basically they need these PC's for Internet connection).

    Please correct me if I am wrong, what I would like to do is, I would
    like to buy these Mother boards and then assemble them and sell it or
    buy these desktops and laptops directly.

    Please suggest me, the bottom line the price is very important, also I
    would like to buy in bulk, this way even if I keep my margin very low,
    I would like to sell it for very less price, in these countries, there
    are lot of middle class faminies who can't afford for branded ones, I
    am looking for cheap ones.

    Thanks for your time.
    Santa.

    On 6/6/2005 03:43, Tony Hill wrote:

    > A similar story exists for motherboards, though there are more
    > companies producing them. The #1 and #2 manufacturers of desktop PC
    > motherboards are Asus and ECS,

    Foxconn?

    ~Jason

    On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:26:30 -0400, Jason Gurtz wrote:

    > On 6/6/2005 03:43, Tony Hill wrote:
    >
    >> A similar story exists for motherboards, though there are more
    >> companies producing them. The #1 and #2 manufacturers of desktop PC
    >> motherboards are Asus and ECS,
    >
    > Foxconn?

    PCChips?

    --
    Keith

    On 6/6/2005 22:01, keith wrote:

    > PCChips?

    I wouldn't foist one of their products on my worst enemy.

    ~Jason

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:29:57 -0400, Jason Gurtz wrote:

    > On 6/6/2005 22:01, keith wrote:
    >
    >> PCChips?
    >
    > I wouldn't foist one of their products on my worst enemy.

    There's a difference? BTW, PCChips *is* a leading motherboard
    manufacturer, like it or not.

    --
    Keith

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 20:00:52 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:29:57 -0400, Jason Gurtz wrote:
    >
    >> On 6/6/2005 22:01, keith wrote:
    >>
    >>> PCChips?
    >>
    >> I wouldn't foist one of their products on my worst enemy.
    >
    >There's a difference? BTW, PCChips *is* a leading motherboard
    >manufacturer, like it or not.

    To the best of my knowledge, ALL of PCChips motherboards are
    manufactured by ECS. I'm not quite sure where Foxconn fits into the
    whole deal, it's sometimes hard to tell just which companies are
    actually manufacturers and which outsource to a third-party for their
    production.

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 00:27:45 -0400, Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 20:00:52 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

    >>> I wouldn't foist one of their products on my worst enemy.
    >>
    >>There's a difference? BTW, PCChips *is* a leading motherboard
    >>manufacturer, like it or not.
    >
    >To the best of my knowledge, ALL of PCChips motherboards are
    >manufactured by ECS. I'm not quite sure where Foxconn fits into the
    >whole deal, it's sometimes hard to tell just which companies are
    >actually manufacturers and which outsource to a third-party for their
    >production.

    Interesting info about Foxconn in this interview:
    http://www.reed-electronics.com/electronicnews/article/CA605749.html

    "Foxconn -- which is all Taiwanese, except they’ve moved most of their
    employees over to Beijing and Shenzhen -- is a city within a city. They had
    35,000 employees there when I visited. Now there are double that number.
    Rolls of sheet metal come in one end, and out the other side come every PC
    you’ve ever seen, Playstations, cell phones. It’s state of the art by
    anyone’s metrics, and it’s all automated and being done in a lights-out
    mode."

    And just preceding that: "The longest waiting list for a car in Beijing is
    a Rolls Royce."

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

    On 6/7/2005 20:00, keith wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:29:57 -0400, Jason Gurtz wrote:

    >> I wouldn't foist one of their products on my worst enemy.
    >
    > There's a difference? BTW, PCChips *is* a leading motherboard
    > manufacturer, like it or not.

    Haha. Yea, they are pretty big.

    ~Jason

    On 6/8/2005 00:27, Tony Hill wrote:

    > manufactured by ECS. I'm not quite sure where Foxconn fits into the
    > whole deal,

    Intel branded and--I'm pretty sure--Dell motherboards are made by them.
    There's probably others as well.

    ~Jason

    --
  11. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 00:27:45 -0400, Tony Hill wrote:

    > On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 20:00:52 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

    >>> I wouldn't foist one of their products on my worst enemy.
    >>
    >>There's a difference? BTW, PCChips *is* a leading motherboard
    >>manufacturer, like it or not.
    >
    > To the best of my knowledge, ALL of PCChips motherboards are
    > manufactured by ECS.

    Are you sure it's not the other way around. Some years ago there were a
    *hundred* board companies that all just repackaged PCChips boards. THe
    word then was that they made the boards for a dozen or more of the "name
    brands" too, though with different specs. ECS wouldn't surprise me either.

    > I'm not quite sure where Foxconn fits into the
    > whole deal, it's sometimes hard to tell just which companies are
    > actually manufacturers and which outsource to a third-party for their
    > production.

    That is a fact! Many of the Taiwaneese/Chineese companies are so
    incestuous that it would take a DNA test to tell who made what.

    --
    Keith
  12. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 21:56:35 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 00:27:45 -0400, Tony Hill wrote:
    >> To the best of my knowledge, ALL of PCChips motherboards are
    >> manufactured by ECS.
    >
    >Are you sure it's not the other way around. Some years ago there were a
    >*hundred* board companies that all just repackaged PCChips boards. THe
    >word then was that they made the boards for a dozen or more of the "name
    >brands" too, though with different specs. ECS wouldn't surprise me either.
    >
    >> I'm not quite sure where Foxconn fits into the
    >> whole deal, it's sometimes hard to tell just which companies are
    >> actually manufacturers and which outsource to a third-party for their
    >> production.
    >
    >That is a fact! Many of the Taiwaneese/Chineese companies are so
    >incestuous that it would take a DNA test to tell who made what.

    That's for sure, ECS and PCChips above are a perfect example of this!
    As best as I can tell, ECS was the manufacturing arm, PCChips was a
    sort of OEM sales arm and the dozens of brand names were the companies
    that actually sold to retail. However where one company ended and the
    other began was definitely more than a bit murky.

    I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's more than a bit of
    back-and-forth involved here too. ie PCChips does the design, hands
    it off to ECS to manufacturer who then send them back to PCChips to
    package before them come back to ECS (among many others) to be sold.

    Foxconn, it would seem according to the other posts, is one of those
    major behind-the-scenes manufacturers of boards (and other
    electronics). There are a number of such companies in the
    Taiwan/China market for whom most of us will have never have heard of
    but we've probably got a couple dozen of their products in our houses.

    -------------
    Tony Hill
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 23:16:04 -0400, Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 21:56:35 -0400, keith <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 00:27:45 -0400, Tony Hill wrote:
    >>> To the best of my knowledge, ALL of PCChips motherboards are
    >>> manufactured by ECS.
    >>
    >>Are you sure it's not the other way around. Some years ago there were a
    >>*hundred* board companies that all just repackaged PCChips boards. THe
    >>word then was that they made the boards for a dozen or more of the "name
    >>brands" too, though with different specs. ECS wouldn't surprise me either.
    >>
    >>> I'm not quite sure where Foxconn fits into the
    >>> whole deal, it's sometimes hard to tell just which companies are
    >>> actually manufacturers and which outsource to a third-party for their
    >>> production.
    >>
    >>That is a fact! Many of the Taiwaneese/Chineese companies are so
    >>incestuous that it would take a DNA test to tell who made what.
    >
    >That's for sure, ECS and PCChips above are a perfect example of this!
    >As best as I can tell, ECS was the manufacturing arm, PCChips was a
    >sort of OEM sales arm and the dozens of brand names were the companies
    >that actually sold to retail. However where one company ended and the
    >other began was definitely more than a bit murky.
    >
    >I wouldn't be at all surprised if there's more than a bit of
    >back-and-forth involved here too. ie PCChips does the design, hands
    >it off to ECS to manufacturer who then send them back to PCChips to
    >package before them come back to ECS (among many others) to be sold.
    >
    >Foxconn, it would seem according to the other posts, is one of those
    >major behind-the-scenes manufacturers of boards (and other
    >electronics). There are a number of such companies in the
    >Taiwan/China market for whom most of us will have never have heard of
    >but we've probably got a couple dozen of their products in our houses.

    Then there's Info-Tek http://www.itctwn.com.tw/. NewEgg uses their name
    for a "brand" of video cards - I dunno why because the video card brand
    name is GeCube and clearly printed on the packaging. Apparently there was
    a spot of bother when the first name chosen by Info-Tek for the brand was
    Giga-Cube - Gigabyte was very unhappy, though Info-Tek is reportedly a
    shareholder in Gigabyte. At one point they claimed to be the holding
    company of Gigabyte - sounds like there was a major fall-out at a
    wedding/funeral/christening.:-)

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald
  14. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 02:43:20 -0400, George Macdonald wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 00:27:45 -0400, Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca>
    > wrote:

    >>>There's a difference? BTW, PCChips *is* a leading motherboard
    >>>manufacturer, like it or not.
    >>
    >>To the best of my knowledge, ALL of PCChips motherboards are
    >>manufactured by ECS. I'm not quite sure where Foxconn fits into the
    >>whole deal, it's sometimes hard to tell just which companies are
    >>actually manufacturers and which outsource to a third-party for their
    >>production.
    >
    > Interesting info about Foxconn in this interview:
    > http://www.reed-electronics.com/electronicnews/article/CA605749.html
    >
    > "Foxconn -- which is all Taiwanese, except they’ve moved most of their
    > employees over to Beijing and Shenzhen -- is a city within a city. They had
    > 35,000 employees there when I visited. Now there are double that number.
    > Rolls of sheet metal come in one end, and out the other side come every PC
    > you’ve ever seen, Playstations, cell phones. It’s state of the art by
    > anyone’s metrics, and it’s all automated and being done in a lights-out
    > mode."
    >
    > And just preceding that: "The longest waiting list for a car in Beijing is
    > a Rolls Royce."

    That makes a lot of sense, was'nt it a couple of months ago that all the
    reviews sites had fab reviews out. One common thing that I noticed was
    most did not make their own pcb's, the pcb's where all subcontracted out.
    Most reviews had a picture of a gal, taken a pcb from a stack, then
    running it down the line to install the components. I would'nt be
    surprised if their was say only one manufacture making the pcb's such as
    Foxconn/Hon Hai, maybe in a room, or vault some subcontractor has all the
    designs for all the major manufacturers. When an order comes in they pull
    the specialized die, or mask from the vault, check the quality add the
    special dye for that brand, be it red, or purple or what not run the batch.

    So I guess in the end they really do eat their own dog food, what it comes
    down to is who has the best QA to test for defects, who has the best
    designed boards. I would not be surprised to see some lines have the
    exact same layout, only differ between components, and the name on the
    board.

    Maybe someone in the know about the pcb's can shed some light on who's dog
    food flavor of the month and why.

    Gnu_Raiz
  15. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips (More info?)

    Anyone interested in ordering these MBOs from high to low , quality,
    performance, reliability wise

    Usually one particular ( socket/processor/chipset/features) model will
    be popular from a particular manufacturer and maybe each has a hit
    product. What i am asking is, in general ?

    * asus
    * gigabyte
    * msi
    * ecs
    * Aopen
    * biostar
    * Abit
    * asrock
    * shuttle
    * soyo
    * chaintech
    * foxconn
    * anything left out ? oh, Tyan, supermicro...

    --alex

CPUs Hardware Processors Motherboards