Boot Problems/Intel Boot Agent

jeff

I have a 500xl 2.66ghz P4, 512mg RAM. My Maxtor 160gb hdd just died (I
got my computer 17 months ago). I replaced it with a spare Maxtor 40gb
hdd, after trying to recover the data on the dead drive (I installed
XP on the spare drive, and made the other drive the slave, but the
files were not there, and XP wouldn't install on the 160gb drive even
after reformatting). Now that I have the spare drive up and running, I
have a problem booting. When I start my computer, I get the Gateway
screen, and then, prior to getting the Windows splash screen, I get a
DOS screen, with the message: "Intel Boot Agent FE v4.1.09 Intel Base
Code, PXE-2-1 (Build 083) Client Mac Address xxx xx xx xx xx xx GUID:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx... PXE M0F Exiting Intel Boot Agent" . It then exits
this, and reboots without a problem. I did a search of this
newsgroup, as well as Gateway's support website, and came up with
nothing. Anyone have any suggestions?

jeffsher@registerednurses.com (Jeff) wrote in message news:<414da96e.0408181828.3e1c674e@posting.google.com>...
> I have a 500xl 2.66ghz P4, 512mg RAM. My Maxtor 160gb hdd just died (I
> got my computer 17 months ago). I replaced it with a spare Maxtor 40gb
> hdd, after trying to recover the data on the dead drive (I installed
> XP on the spare drive, and made the other drive the slave, but the
> files were not there, and XP wouldn't install on the 160gb drive even
> after reformatting). Now that I have the spare drive up and running, I
> have a problem booting. When I start my computer, I get the Gateway
> screen, and then, prior to getting the Windows splash screen, I get a
> DOS screen, with the message: "Intel Boot Agent FE v4.1.09 Intel Base
> Code, PXE-2-1 (Build 083) Client Mac Address xxx xx xx xx xx xx GUID:
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxx... PXE M0F Exiting Intel Boot Agent" . It then exits
> this, and reboots without a problem. I did a search of this
> newsgroup, as well as Gateway's support website, and came up with
> nothing. Anyone have any suggestions?

Go into you system setup and check the boot order, make sure the order
is floopy, cd, hd or something in that order. I had the same problem
however I'm currently not at me system as I write this reply but as I
remember it's something in this order. I will repost the exact order I
have my system set to later today. Cheers

jeff

Thanks for the reply. I actually was able to go into my BIOS and
disable Boot Agent, and that cleared up the problem.

Jeff

ccrlyles@aol.com (CLyles) wrote in message news:<65716aec.0408200108.6211b2fe@posting.google.com>...
> jeffsher@registerednurses.com (Jeff) wrote in message news:<414da96e.0408181828.3e1c674e@posting.google.com>...
> > I have a 500xl 2.66ghz P4, 512mg RAM. My Maxtor 160gb hdd just died (I
> > got my computer 17 months ago). I replaced it with a spare Maxtor 40gb
> > hdd, after trying to recover the data on the dead drive (I installed
> > XP on the spare drive, and made the other drive the slave, but the
> > files were not there, and XP wouldn't install on the 160gb drive even
> > after reformatting). Now that I have the spare drive up and running, I
> > have a problem booting. When I start my computer, I get the Gateway
> > screen, and then, prior to getting the Windows splash screen, I get a
> > DOS screen, with the message: "Intel Boot Agent FE v4.1.09 Intel Base
> > Code, PXE-2-1 (Build 083) Client Mac Address xxx xx xx xx xx xx GUID:
> > xxxxxxxxxxxxxx... PXE M0F Exiting Intel Boot Agent" . It then exits
> > this, and reboots without a problem. I did a search of this
> > newsgroup, as well as Gateway's support website, and came up with
> > nothing. Anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Go into you system setup and check the boot order, make sure the order
> is floopy, cd, hd or something in that order. I had the same problem
> however I'm currently not at me system as I write this reply but as I
> remember it's something in this order. I will repost the exact order I
> have my system set to later today. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS