Setting up logging on my Linksys WRT54G

I can't figure out where I need to put the info for the computer I want to
log in my router's set up window. When I go into the "Administration" tab,
it has a tab to "enable" logging and after I check that and save settings,
it doesn't allow me to put any other info. I downloaded the "log viewer"
program from the Linksys web site but no logging as been added.
7 answers Last reply
More about setting logging linksys wrt54g

    "Art Harrington" <artmoe@yahoo.com> wrote in

    > I can't figure out where I need to put the info for the computer I
    > want to log in my router's set up window. When I go into the
    > "Administration" tab, it has a tab to "enable" logging and after I
    > check that and save settings, it doesn't allow me to put any other
    > info. I downloaded the "log viewer" program from the Linksys web site
    > but no logging as been added.

    You either put in 192.168.1.255 which means broadcast the log information
    to all private side IP(s)/machines, or you enter 192.168.1.100 as an
    example of the IP/machine you want the router to broadcast the log to. At
    least that's how it works on my Linksys router.

    Duane :)

    "jch" <JCH@nospam.com> wrote in

    > I think Duane may have a different Linksys router or maybe a different
    > firmware version (ie one from a 3rd party). I'm using Linksys stock
    > firmware on my WRT54G and the only thing under Log is enable or
    > disable. BTW, its a known fact among WRT54G users that the logging
    > function has never worked properly. Again, this may be different if
    > using one of the 3rd party firmwares which are available but I haven't
    > tried them.

    Yes, I have an 11S4 version one router. The 54G could be different than
    the rest of the firmware for the Linksys router. If the logging doesn't
    work for the 54G, then that's kind of sad on Linksys' part.

    However, I did go to Linksys Support Knowledge Base and entered *WRT54G
    Logging*. The search retuned an article basically describing the same
    thing I have explained. It seemed to be applied to all Linksys router
    models.

    Duane :)

    In article <Xns952AD1E84CE9Enotmenotmecom@204.127.204.17>,
    notme@notme.com says...
    > "jch" <JCH@nospam.com> wrote in
    >
    > > I think Duane may have a different Linksys router or maybe a different
    > > firmware version (ie one from a 3rd party). I'm using Linksys stock
    > > firmware on my WRT54G and the only thing under Log is enable or
    > > disable. BTW, its a known fact among WRT54G users that the logging
    > > function has never worked properly. Again, this may be different if
    > > using one of the 3rd party firmwares which are available but I haven't
    > > tried them.
    > >

    > Yes, I have an 11S4 version one router. The 54G could be different than
    > the rest of the firmware for the Linksys router. If the logging doesn't
    > work for the 54G, then that's kind of sad on Linksys' part.
    >
    > However, I did go to Linksys Support Knowledge Base and entered *WRT54G
    > Logging*. The search retuned an article basically describing the same
    > thing I have explained. It seemed to be applied to all Linksys router
    > models.
    >
    > Duane :)

    And it is completely incorrect. Linksys has simply "bulked" their
    routers into the same search reference.

    This is something I didn't expect when I bought this. If I had know
    this funtion was lost, I would have bought one of the Super-G Dlink
    routers for less money.

    >> Yes, I have an 11S4 version one router. The 54G could be different
    >> than the rest of the firmware for the Linksys router. If the logging
    >> doesn't work for the 54G, then that's kind of sad on Linksys' part.
    >>
    >> However, I did go to Linksys Support Knowledge Base and entered
    >> *WRT54G Logging*. The search retuned an article basically describing
    >> the same thing I have explained. It seemed to be applied to all
    >> Linksys router models.
    >>
    >> Duane :)
    >>
    > And it is completely incorrect. Linksys has simply "bulked" their
    > routers into the same search reference.
    >
    > This is something I didn't expect when I bought this. If I had know
    > this funtion was lost, I would have bought one of the Super-G Dlink
    > routers for less money.

    Well, if this is the case, then it's too bad. Maybe, Linksys/Cisco will
    get it corrected.

    Duane :)

    In article <Xns952AE3DA74C15notmenotmecom@63.240.76.16>, notme@notme.com
    says...

    > >> Yes, I have an 11S4 version one router. The 54G could be different
    > >> than the rest of the firmware for the Linksys router. If the logging
    > >> doesn't work for the 54G, then that's kind of sad on Linksys' part.
    > >>
    > >> However, I did go to Linksys Support Knowledge Base and entered
    > >> *WRT54G Logging*. The search retuned an article basically describing
    > >> the same thing I have explained. It seemed to be applied to all
    > >> Linksys router models.
    > >>
    > >> Duane :)
    > >>
    > > And it is completely incorrect. Linksys has simply "bulked" their
    > > routers into the same search reference.
    > >
    > > This is something I didn't expect when I bought this. If I had know
    > > this funtion was lost, I would have bought one of the Super-G Dlink
    > > routers for less money.
    >
    > Well, if this is the case, then it's too bad. Maybe, Linksys/Cisco will
    > get it corrected.
    >
    > Duane :)

    They sort of have. The higher end model (single antenna, silver box)
    does have external logging features. Only it's about $180us last time I
    bought one for a client.

    Although the standard Linksys WRT54G router does not provide external
    logging, Sveasoft has enhanced the Firmware to use IPTables-style logging,
    and WallWatcher supports that router/firmware combination. The WallWatcher
    author has never used that router, so this is not necessarily an endorsment
    or recommendation to use modified Firmware. An excellent independent source
    of information about Linksys Routers is the Users' Forum at DSL Reports.

    from : http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/

    "Art Harrington" <artmoe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I can't figure out where I need to put the info for the computer I want to
    > log in my router's set up window. When I go into the "Administration" tab,
    > it has a tab to "enable" logging and after I check that and save settings,
    > it doesn't allow me to put any other info. I downloaded the "log viewer"
    > program from the Linksys web site but no logging as been added.

    Don't forget to mention that Sveasoft's software costs extra money, is
    not supported by Linksys (void's the warranty) and future Linksys
    updates are not supported.

    In article <2m1h0eFheplhU1@uni-berlin.de>, me@privacy.net says...
    > Although the standard Linksys WRT54G router does not provide external
    > logging, Sveasoft has enhanced the Firmware to use IPTables-style logging,
    > and WallWatcher supports that router/firmware combination. The WallWatcher
    > author has never used that router, so this is not necessarily an endorsment
    > or recommendation to use modified Firmware. An excellent independent source
    > of information about Linksys Routers is the Users' Forum at DSL Reports.
    >
    > from : http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/
    >

    > "Art Harrington" <artmoe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I can't figure out where I need to put the info for the computer I want to
    > > log in my router's set up window. When I go into the "Administration" tab,
    > > it has a tab to "enable" logging and after I check that and save settings,
    > > it doesn't allow me to put any other info. I downloaded the "log viewer"
    > > program from the Linksys web site but no logging as been added.

Firewalls Linksys Networking