Conflict between Norton Antivirus and Sygate?

On my newly bought machine running Windows XP Professional, I just installed
Sygate's Personal Firewall 5.5.

I cannot update my Norton Antivirus with LiveUpdate. Nor can I register my
(OEM) copy of this software. More strangely, I cannot access Symantec's
website from Internet Explorer.

Any idea about this problem?

Thanks,
2 answers Last reply
More about conflict norton antivirus sygate

    In article <cdcqfl$3f3$1@cuhkalumni>, kenwong_nojunk@alumni.cuhk.edu.hk says...
    > On my newly bought machine running Windows XP Professional, I just installed
    > Sygate's Personal Firewall 5.5.
    >
    > I cannot update my Norton Antivirus with LiveUpdate. Nor can I register my
    > (OEM) copy of this software. More strangely, I cannot access Symantec's
    > website from Internet Explorer.
    >
    > Any idea about this problem?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Default setting for Sygate Application Rules is Ask (blocked but asking
    for permission to connect to internet). When Sygate is installed all
    computer applications and services should be asking when they attempt to
    connect. Take a look at the traffic log. All (in/out) connections or
    attempted connections should be shown. Blocked connections should show
    why they were blocked (applicaton rules or advanced rules). Note port
    numbers. Application rules take priority over application rules. Look
    in advanced rules to see for the individual applications/services are
    blocked by a rule. Check to see if the application/services required
    ports are blocked. This is just a good Sygate trouble shooting
    sequence. Good luck.
    Casey

    > Application rules take priority over application rules.
    Should be: advanced rules take priority over application rules.

    >This is just a good Sygate trouble shooting
    > sequence.
    Should be: This is just a good sequence to use for checking
    Sygate rules.

    Casey

Firewalls Norton Antivirus Networking