Conflict between Norton Antivirus and Sygate?

On my newly bought machine running Windows XP Professional, I just installed
Sygate's Personal Firewall 5.5.

I cannot update my Norton Antivirus with LiveUpdate. Nor can I register my
(OEM) copy of this software. More strangely, I cannot access Symantec's
website from Internet Explorer.

Any idea about this problem?

Thanks,

casey

In article <cdcqfl$3f3$1@cuhkalumni>, kenwong_nojunk@alumni.cuhk.edu.hk says...
> On my newly bought machine running Windows XP Professional, I just installed
> Sygate's Personal Firewall 5.5.
>
> I cannot update my Norton Antivirus with LiveUpdate. Nor can I register my
> (OEM) copy of this software. More strangely, I cannot access Symantec's
> website from Internet Explorer.
>
> Any idea about this problem?
>
> Thanks,

Default setting for Sygate Application Rules is Ask (blocked but asking
for permission to connect to internet). When Sygate is installed all
computer applications and services should be asking when they attempt to
connect. Take a look at the traffic log. All (in/out) connections or
attempted connections should be shown. Blocked connections should show
why they were blocked (applicaton rules or advanced rules). Note port
numbers. Application rules take priority over application rules. Look
in advanced rules to see for the individual applications/services are
blocked by a rule. Check to see if the application/services required
ports are blocked. This is just a good Sygate trouble shooting
sequence. Good luck.
Casey

casey

> Application rules take priority over application rules.
Should be: advanced rules take priority over application rules.

>This is just a good Sygate trouble shooting
> sequence.
Should be: This is just a good sequence to use for checking
Sygate rules.

Casey