Dual Core & AGP

Are there any AMD s939 mother boards that support the X2 chips that also
have an AGP slot, and support my ram? (Crucial Ballistix PC4000).

....and what about Intel's dual core boards, any AGP and DDR-1 support
there?

Thanks,
Ed
8 answers Last reply
More about dual core

    Might be one or two. Check ECS,Gigabyte,DFI. From what I've heard all 939
    boards will support X2 with a BIOS upgrade.

    "Ed" <spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Are there any AMD s939 mother boards that support the X2 chips that also
    > have an AGP slot, and support my ram? (Crucial Ballistix PC4000).
    >
    > ...and what about Intel's dual core boards, any AGP and DDR-1 support
    > there?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ed

    I know of one example: the Asus A8V Deluxe mainboard is supposed to support
    the X2 CPUs with BIOS 1013 or later. (That's new; the absolute latest is
    1014 beta 001.)

    The A8V uses the Via K8T800Pro chipset, which supports AGP.

    For your Intel question, I suggest www.intel.com. It appears that the D
    processors need a 955X, 945P, or 946G chipset, and these are all PCI
    Express/DDR2 boards.

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 12:22:44 -0500, Ed <spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Are there any AMD s939 mother boards that support the X2 chips that also
    >have an AGP slot, and support my ram? (Crucial Ballistix PC4000).

    In theory, all of them are capable of supporting X2, including the
    older ones. In practice, look at the latest info of the particular
    manufacturer - the BIOS must be updated to handle X2, also the power
    must be supporting the new requirements (both volts AND amps).
    >...and what about Intel's dual core boards, any AGP and DDR-1 support
    >there?
    In a word - NO.

    On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:23:21 -0400, "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net>
    wrote:

    >I know of one example: the Asus A8V Deluxe mainboard is supposed to support
    >the X2 CPUs with BIOS 1013 or later. (That's new; the absolute latest is
    >1014 beta 001.)

    I may have read it wrong but I thought VIA chipsets currently don't
    support the X2 chips and VIA has an updated chipset for X2 support?

    Ed

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:06:40 -0500, Ed <spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:23:21 -0400, "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I know of one example: the Asus A8V Deluxe mainboard is supposed to support
    >>the X2 CPUs with BIOS 1013 or later. (That's new; the absolute latest is
    >>1014 beta 001.)
    >
    >I may have read it wrong but I thought VIA chipsets currently don't
    >support the X2 chips and VIA has an updated chipset for X2 support?
    >
    >Ed

    OK I finally got into the Asus site and they do show the A8V as
    supporting X2 chips + AGP and DDRI support. Thanks, I'll have to see if
    Crucial.com matches up that board with my ram now I guess.
    Thanks. Ed

    > On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:06:40 -0500, Ed <spam@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 21:23:21 -0400, "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net>
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >>I know of one example: the Asus A8V Deluxe mainboard is supposed to
    support
    > >>the X2 CPUs with BIOS 1013 or later. (That's new; the absolute latest is
    > >>1014 beta 001.)
    > >
    > >I may have read it wrong but I thought VIA chipsets currently don't
    > >support the X2 chips and VIA has an updated chipset for X2 support?
    > >
    > >Ed
    >
    > OK I finally got into the Asus site and they do show the A8V as
    > supporting X2 chips + AGP and DDRI support. Thanks, I'll have to see if
    > Crucial.com matches up that board with my ram now I guess.
    > Thanks. Ed

    It's probably too soon for them to have your specific memory listed. But,as
    long as it's good quality ram there shouldn't be a problem.

    There appears to be a problem with the A8V-E (K8T890, PCI Express chipset)
    that prevents X2 support, even though it's newer than the A8V's K8T800Pro.
    (As for DDR support, all Socket 939 A64s only support DDR rather than DDR2.
    The memory controller is integrated with the CPU, so there is no choice. I
    can't regard that as a real disadvantage at this time.)

    I have not ordered an X2 CPU for my A8V Deluxe. The prices I've seen
    (www.monarchcomputer.com) are high enough to be discouraging. I need to be
    persuaded that I'd see a gain over my Newcastle 3500+, which I run at 11X220
    MHz.

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 19:43:50 GMT, "dawg" <don't look@worldnet.att.net>
    wrote:

    >It's probably too soon for them to have your specific memory listed. But,as
    >long as it's good quality ram there shouldn't be a problem.

    Got lucky I guess, Crucial shows my ram listed for the A8V also.

CPUs Support Dual Core