Got a problem with ATI Radeon 9800 pro..needed help urgent

hi..i m keerthi..i got a new sys intel 3ghz processor n a D865GBF
mainboard from intel..i hae an ATI Radeon 9800 pro graphic card with
128mb ddr ram from ATI manufacturer..i have put my new card on my new
system...with windows XP with no service packs installed...i have a
problem..i installed the display drivers for my card but the xp
booting screen displays a lot of vertical yellow lines n there r a lot
of yellow boxes displayed all over the screen..i dont know whts
wrong..i went to the bios n tried to deactivate the onboard graphics
but there is no option for disabling the graphics..its just lets me
choose from a AGP or PCI n nothin else..i have checked teh card
placement..its ok..i even tried to uninstall n install the drivers for
the card but everything is in vain..even when i try to run a game..the
game runs with a lot of vertical grids on the screen...n the graphic
setting is limited to 32 bit display...can anyone show me a way out of
this..i am already sick of trying everything..plz reply..

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chips-problem-ATI-Radeon-9800-pro-needed-help-ftopict57679.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=290757

Sounds like the card might be bad. Have you tried running dxdiag to see
what that shows? Might the card be overclocked (now or in the past could
have damaged it)?

~Jason

--

Ed

On 20 Jun 2005 15:36:29 -0400, Keerthi652
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

>hi..i m keerthi..i got a new sys intel 3ghz processor n a D865GBF
>mainboard from intel..i hae an ATI Radeon 9800 pro graphic card with
>128mb ddr ram from ATI manufacturer..i have put my new card on my new
>system...with windows XP with no service packs installed...i have a
>problem..i installed the display drivers for my card but the xp
>booting screen displays a lot of vertical yellow lines n there r a lot
>of yellow boxes displayed all over the screen..i dont know whts
>wrong..i went to the bios n tried to deactivate the onboard graphics
>but there is no option for disabling the graphics..its just lets me
>choose from a AGP or PCI n nothin else..i have checked teh card
>placement..its ok..i even tried to uninstall n install the drivers for
>the card but everything is in vain..even when i try to run a game..the
>game runs with a lot of vertical grids on the screen...n the graphic
>setting is limited to 32 bit display...can anyone show me a way out of
>this..i am already sick of trying everything..plz reply..

If you are using an IDE cable that's shared with your hard drives/CDs
try using an IDE cable that's not connected to anything else and plug it
directly into the video card. I only say this because I've read users
that were sharing the IDE cable and ran into problems, and using a
separate IDE cable fixed the problem.

Other guess,
PSU is too weak?
Bad video card?

Good luck,
Ed

On 20 Jun 2005 15:36:29 -0400, Keerthi652
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:

>hi..i m keerthi..i got a new sys intel 3ghz processor n a D865GBF
>mainboard from intel..i hae an ATI Radeon 9800 pro graphic card with
>128mb ddr ram from ATI manufacturer..i have put my new card on my new
>system...with windows XP with no service packs installed...i have a
>problem..i installed the display drivers for my card but the xp
>booting screen displays a lot of vertical yellow lines n there r a lot
>of yellow boxes displayed all over the screen..i dont know whts
>wrong..i went to the bios n tried to deactivate the onboard graphics
>but there is no option for disabling the graphics..its just lets me
>choose from a AGP or PCI n nothin else..i have checked teh card
>placement..its ok..i even tried to uninstall n install the drivers for
>the card but everything is in vain..even when i try to run a game..the
>game runs with a lot of vertical grids on the screen...n the graphic
>setting is limited to 32 bit display...can anyone show me a way out of
>this..i am already sick of trying everything..plz reply..

Two things that jump to my mind here are either a DOA video card or a
problem with your memory (sounds odd I know, but lines on the screen
and those blinky yellow boxes are often a tell-tale sign of bad
memory). Pull the video card out and try running a test on your
memory, www.memtest86.com should do well. If the memory checks out
after a couple of hours or running this test then you are probably
looking at a DOA video card. Hope the store you purchased it from has
a good return policy!

ps. My message (and those of the other two people that replied so far)
has absolutely no connection to www.hardwareforumz.com. This website
you posted from is dumping your message out to Usenet, a larger
on-line network, and making it look like it's all coming from their
web forums.

-------------
Tony Hill

Did you remove the old video drivers?

"Tony Hill" <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> On 20 Jun 2005 15:36:29 -0400, Keerthi652
> <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:
>
> >hi..i m keerthi..i got a new sys intel 3ghz processor n a D865GBF
> >mainboard from intel..i hae an ATI Radeon 9800 pro graphic card with
> >128mb ddr ram from ATI manufacturer..i have put my new card on my new
> >system...with windows XP with no service packs installed...i have a
> >problem..i installed the display drivers for my card but the xp
> >booting screen displays a lot of vertical yellow lines n there r a lot
> >of yellow boxes displayed all over the screen..i dont know whts
> >wrong..i went to the bios n tried to deactivate the onboard graphics
> >but there is no option for disabling the graphics..its just lets me
> >choose from a AGP or PCI n nothin else..i have checked teh card
> >placement..its ok..i even tried to uninstall n install the drivers for
> >the card but everything is in vain..even when i try to run a game..the
> >game runs with a lot of vertical grids on the screen...n the graphic
> >setting is limited to 32 bit display...can anyone show me a way out of
> >this..i am already sick of trying everything..plz reply..
>
> Two things that jump to my mind here are either a DOA video card or a
> problem with your memory (sounds odd I know, but lines on the screen
> and those blinky yellow boxes are often a tell-tale sign of bad
> memory). Pull the video card out and try running a test on your
> memory, www.memtest86.com should do well. If the memory checks out
> after a couple of hours or running this test then you are probably
> looking at a DOA video card. Hope the store you purchased it from has
> a good return policy!
>

> ps. My message (and those of the other two people that replied so far)
> has absolutely no connection to www.hardwareforumz.com. This website
> you posted from is dumping your message out to Usenet, a larger
> on-line network, and making it look like it's all coming from their
> web forums.
>
> -------------
> Tony Hill

ognirc

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

Video Card = ATI Radeon 8900 PRO SEC AGP(0x4E48)
Monitor = Samsung SyncMaster 2333SW 23" LCD

I'm helping this older gentleman out and he's currently having these bands of yellow blocks that make lines either vertically or horizontally across the screen. If you grab a window and move it around, it paints the screen with a solid yellow tint. XD

In my mind, there are so many things it could be. He had *just* bought a Samsung 23" LCD monitor, so I instantly assumed it was just the driver for the display. I installed the correct driver for the monitor and it did nothing new.

I then figured that maybe the video driver needed updated to handle the monitor's specs. He has an ATI Radeon 8900 AGP card, so I looked up ATI's site and it only really suggested to install the catalyst. Installed the catalyst, and it said it wouldn't work right because he didn't have NET Framework 2.0. Installed that, uninstalled the catalyst, reinstalled it, and it was even worse than it was before.

Rolled the driver back and told the poor guy I'd look around to see if I'm just missing something else.

I assume it could *possibly* be that the video card went bad... He said he disconnected the new monitor, threw the old one back on(Dell CRT), and the lines were still there.

What do you guys think?

Also, when I go into Devices, it shows 2 display adapters. The one says, " Radeon 9800 PRO SEC" and the second says, "Radeon Series (secondary)". I have no idea what that means...

Well this is a age old thread. When I saw 9800 in the title it brought back memories.

But it sounds like the VRAM is bad. Try lowering the desktop to 16bit. If it goes away then its the VRAM gone bad from overheating. Same thing happened to my old loveable 9700Pro.

May he rest in peace.

ognirc

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

Aaah, I'll tell him to give that a whirl. Thank you very much.