Is DDR and DDR2 compatible?

Is DDR and DDR2 compatible with each other if they are the same
frequency?

I have 1 gig of memory in my system and I am thinking about adding
another.

This current memory is PC 3200 and I want to know if PC 3200 that is
DDR2 will be compatible with it.

thnx

--
Peter McEldowney
"pcm1289@gmail.com"

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Chips-DDR-DDR2-compatible-ftopict58255.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=294429

On 2 Jul 2005 00:36:21 -0400, pcm1289 <UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com>
wrote:

>Is DDR and DDR2 compatible with each other if they are the same
>frequency?
>
>I have 1 gig of memory in my system and I am thinking about adding
>another.
>
>This current memory is PC 3200 and I want to know if PC 3200 that is
>DDR2 will be compatible with it.

No, they are completely different, even in pin count.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

On 2 Jul 2005 00:36:21 -0400, pcm1289
<UseLinkToEmail@HardwareForumz.com> wrote:
>Is DDR and DDR2 compatible with each other if they are the same
>frequency?

In a word, no.

>I have 1 gig of memory in my system and I am thinking about adding
>another.
>
>This current memory is PC 3200 and I want to know if PC 3200 that is
>DDR2 will be compatible with it.

Nope. New chipset and new socket, totally incompatible. Even if you
happen to have a motherboard with both DDR and DDR2 sockets you can't
use the two of them at the same time.

ps. This message has absolutely NO connection to
www.hardwareforumz.com, the website you posted to is just dumping your
message out onto the larger Usenet network.

Tony Hill

NO!!