BIOS upgrades to Gateway Intel M'Brds

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 24, 2004 6:09:59 AM

I have an Intel D850/D850EMV motherboard supplied by Gateway that has a P4
1.8GHz 400MHz FSB processor. I bought a P4 2.4GHz 533FSB processor to
replace it so I could use the slower processor in another board. When I
swapped the CPU's I get some beeps then silence and nothing more on the
Gateway. I think I need to upgrade the BIOS to be compatible with the new
CPU.
My question is , can I use the most current BIOS available from Intel for
that M'Brd , and , how will upgrading the BIOS effect reloading the
operating system from the Gateway disks.
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 8:48:11 AM

Historically, Intel's flash BIOS software would check the BIOS ID of the
motherboard against the ID of the new flash modules. If they mismatch, the BIOS
flasher won't flash. All characters of the BIOS ID except the BIOS revision
number must match for a succesful flash operation to take place. Intel assigns
manufacturer codes to each of its major OEMs, like Gateway. It's generic BIOS
has a generic manufacturer code. So a generic Intel BIOS cannot normally be
flashed onto a Gateway motherboard. There are ways to defeat the BIOS ID check,
but they are beyond the scope of a newsgroup posting. Yes, I have done it, and
a Gateway motherboard lives on today with a generic Intel BIOS inside a client's
computer. Not for inexperienced flashers, though... Ben Myers

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 02:09:59 GMT, "Dennis" <dbennett0913@ameritech.net> wrote:

>I have an Intel D850/D850EMV motherboard supplied by Gateway that has a P4
>1.8GHz 400MHz FSB processor. I bought a P4 2.4GHz 533FSB processor to
>replace it so I could use the slower processor in another board. When I
>swapped the CPU's I get some beeps then silence and nothing more on the
>Gateway. I think I need to upgrade the BIOS to be compatible with the new
>CPU.
>My question is , can I use the most current BIOS available from Intel for
>that M'Brd , and , how will upgrading the BIOS effect reloading the
>operating system from the Gateway disks.

Anonymous
August 24, 2004 9:43:12 AM

It depends on whether you have a D850 or a D850E board. The 850 supports
only 400 MHz bus CPUs. The 850E supports both 400 and 533s.

The only way to know for sure is to check the part number on the northbridge
(second largest chip on the board after the CPU - one will be 82850, and the
other, 82850E.

Neither supports the 1M Prescott processor - make sure you have the 512K
Northwood CPU.

"Dennis" <dbennett0913@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> I have an Intel D850/D850EMV motherboard supplied by Gateway that has a P4
> 1.8GHz 400MHz FSB processor. I bought a P4 2.4GHz 533FSB processor to
> replace it so I could use the slower processor in another board. When I
> swapped the CPU's I get some beeps then silence and nothing more on the
> Gateway. I think I need to upgrade the BIOS to be compatible with the new
> CPU.
> My question is , can I use the most current BIOS available from Intel for
> that M'Brd , and , how will upgrading the BIOS effect reloading the
> operating system from the Gateway disks.

Related resources
August 24, 2004 6:20:09 PM

The northbridge is KC82850 so that means the new cpu won't work! Thanks for
the info.
"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> It depends on whether you have a D850 or a D850E board. The 850 supports
> only 400 MHz bus CPUs. The 850E supports both 400 and 533s.
>
> The only way to know for sure is to check the part number on the
northbridge
> (second largest chip on the board after the CPU - one will be 82850, and
the
> other, 82850E.
>
> Neither supports the 1M Prescott processor - make sure you have the 512K
> Northwood CPU.
>

> "Dennis" <dbennett0913@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> > I have an Intel D850/D850EMV motherboard supplied by Gateway that has a
P4
> > 1.8GHz 400MHz FSB processor. I bought a P4 2.4GHz 533FSB processor to
> > replace it so I could use the slower processor in another board. When I
> > swapped the CPU's I get some beeps then silence and nothing more on the
> > Gateway. I think I need to upgrade the BIOS to be compatible with the
new
> > CPU.
> > My question is , can I use the most current BIOS available from Intel
for
> > that M'Brd , and , how will upgrading the BIOS effect reloading the
> > operating system from the Gateway disks.

August 24, 2004 6:22:40 PM

I thought it worked like that, I will leave well enough alone. Thanks.

!