New 24-pin power connector help please

frederick

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2004

I'm trying to confirm that it's safe to connect a new-style PSU with 24-pin
motherboard power connector to an old Pentium PIII 20-pin socket.

I've noticed that the connector will physically connect with the board's
20-pin socket.

I realise that I can purchase another power-supply but I need to find out
quickly, so that I can get a system up and running again tonight.

Thanks!

Frederick wrote:
> I'm trying to confirm that it's safe to connect a new-style PSU with 24-pin
> motherboard power connector to an old Pentium PIII 20-pin socket.
>
> I've noticed that the connector will physically connect with the board's
> 20-pin socket.
>
> I realise that I can purchase another power-supply but I need to find out
> quickly, so that I can get a system up and running again tonight.

Yes, it should be fine. Just make sure you put the right twenty in it.

Yousuf Khan

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 20:29:05 +0000 (UTC), "Frederick"
<frednospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to confirm that it's safe to connect a new-style PSU with 24-pin
>motherboard power connector to an old Pentium PIII 20-pin socket.
>
>I've noticed that the connector will physically connect with the board's
>20-pin socket.
>
>I realise that I can purchase another power-supply but I need to find out
>quickly, so that I can get a system up and running again tonight.

Yes they are compatible but... there are apparently some mbrds which want a
-5V power connection, which is not part of the ATX12V 2.0 specs. Check
first. You can check out the different pin arrangements here
http://www.power-on.com/ - look up a P/S and hover your mouse pointer over
the connectors to see the pin-outs.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 20:29:05 +0000, Frederick wrote:

> I'm trying to confirm that it's safe to connect a new-style PSU with
> 24-pin motherboard power connector to an old Pentium PIII 20-pin socket.
>
> I've noticed that the connector will physically connect with the board's
> 20-pin socket.
>
> I realise that I can purchase another power-supply but I need to find out
> quickly, so that I can get a system up and running again tonight.
>
> Thanks!

ot but wouldnt a 24 pin psu cost more than the rest of your pc combined,
mind if i ask why you are using it

TRENDING THREADS