DDOS and zombies

jay_severin

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2002
I Read a disturbing account on grc.com of a distributed denial of service attack engineered by a 13 yo kid by commandeering windows based machines on broadband connections via some sort of virus or worm and flooding various IP address with network packets.
Apparently by some variant of a subsuper 7 trojan or worm you can introduce zombies which report upon an internet connection to an invisible anonymouth IRC chat room, and there they recieve 'orders' from the bots creaters, orders such as flood such and such an IP address.

from what i gather, virus scans DONT detect whether your system has such bots/zombies present, but if you typically see your cpu utilization or network utilization goto 100% while not really doing anything stressfull on your pc, that may be an indication your system is currently engaging in packet flooding.

The reason I write this is that recently my win xp pro system has become unresposive many times, and the task manager shows 100% constant cpu utilization by the explorer.exe process. when I toggle my software firewall to block ALL traffic, the cpu utilization immediately falls to 1% and the computer becomes responsive. And as soon as I toggle the firewall to normal or allow all, the cpu shoots back up to 100%, again all because of the explorer.exe process. Does this mean I might have one of these viruses on my system?

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
thats what it sounds like, could be somthing harmless thats just trying to get advertisements, all are spawned from the devil in my opinion.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal