ide-raid drivers

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage (More info?)

A prior post taught that drivers were required for an IDE drive hooked
up to an IDE-raid controller. He actually installed windows on a
different primary IDE controller, installed the drivers after the fact,
and then moved the drive back the IDE-raid controller. That drive later
suffered from intermittent corruption several times. Nobody seems to
know if that was a systematic problem or just that particular unit.

My question is whether installing the drivers after windows
installation and moving the drive to the channel is an acceptable way
of doing things? I ask because also have my drive on the primary IDE
and was thinking of doing the same thing.

Or is it better to start over from scratch, put the drive on the
IDE-RAID, and reinstall windows using F6 to install the drivers up
front and reformat and reinstall? Would that be better, or do you just
end up with the same thing?

Irwin

On 8 Jul 2005 06:54:09 -0700, ebct@hotmail.com wrote:

>A prior post taught that drivers were required for an IDE drive hooked
>up to an IDE-raid controller. He actually installed windows on a
>different primary IDE controller, installed the drivers after the fact,
>and then moved the drive back the IDE-raid controller. That drive later
>suffered from intermittent corruption several times. Nobody seems to
>know if that was a systematic problem or just that particular unit.
>
>My question is whether installing the drivers after windows
>installation and moving the drive to the channel is an acceptable way
>of doing things? I ask because also have my drive on the primary IDE
>and was thinking of doing the same thing.

In some cases, e.g. Promise add-in controllers I've seen, that is the
recommended way to do a fresh install. As long as the sector mapping is
the same between the two controllers it works fine.

>Or is it better to start over from scratch, put the drive on the
>IDE-RAID, and reinstall windows using F6 to install the drivers up
>front and reformat and reinstall? Would that be better, or do you just
>end up with the same thing?

It depends on several things: how old is the mbrd & chipset embedded
controller?... or is this a newer mbrd with embedded RAID controller? With
recent hardware it should not matter which way you do it... but which RAID
are you talking of? No way I'd trust a bootable system drive to RAID-0.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald