mobile or desktop cpu

buckyno2

Distinguished
May 14, 2003

I'm building a silent PC and was wondering if using a mobile Pentium
CPU would be less likely to cause overheating problems. I would like to
go completely fanless (cpu, PS, etc) so need a cpu that runs farily
cool but still delivers decent performance. Any thoughts?

Dan

buckyno2@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm building a silent PC and was wondering if using a mobile Pentium
> CPU would be less likely to cause overheating problems. I would like to
> go completely fanless (cpu, PS, etc) so need a cpu that runs farily
> cool but still delivers decent performance. Any thoughts?

Pentium M might be a good way to go, although I'm a bit skeptical of running
anything modern short of the very slow Via ones fanless. If you don't need
a lot of processing power the ULV Celerons might be a good option (though
finding a motherboard is tricky); if you have the budget, the ULV Pentium-M
has an incredibly good performance/watt ration (*peak* is around 10W IIRC)

One other option, though I'm not sure air-cooling is sufficient, would be to
see if you could find a motherboard that lets you underclock... seen some
very interesting power results running a 400mhz FSB P4 at either 266 or 200,
though I'm not sure that it is sufficient to refmove a fan entirely.

--
Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/

"This is not a humorous signature."

On 8 Jul 2005 10:08:21 -0700, buckyno2@gmail.com wrote:

>I'm building a silent PC and was wondering if using a mobile Pentium
>CPU would be less likely to cause overheating problems. I would like to
>go completely fanless (cpu, PS, etc) so need a cpu that runs farily
>cool but still delivers decent performance. Any thoughts?

Completely fanless is going to be VERY difficult with a mobile CPU and
even harder with a desktop chip. If you're going for a desktop chip
you pretty much require liquid cooling (presumably without a water
pump since the noise of the pump would defeat the purpose of a fanless
system) or a setup where the entire case is a heatsink, a la VoodooPC
Eden:

http://www.voodoopc.com/sellPage.aspx?productID=1040

With mobile processors you are a little better off. Again your best
bet is probably a heatsink-case. HushPC sells some that might be
applicable:

http://hushpc.co.uk/

Some of their systems will even operate with desktop chips, though it
seems like you have to kind of pick-and-choose the lowest power
desktop chips.

For some general information about low-noise PC equipment you might
want to check out Silent PC Review:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/

-------------
Tony Hill

Trent

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004

On 8 Jul 2005 10:08:21 -0700 buckyno2@gmail.com wrote in Message id:
<1120842501.365630.235450@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:

>I'm building a silent PC and was wondering if using a mobile Pentium
>CPU would be less likely to cause overheating problems. I would like to
>go completely fanless (cpu, PS, etc) so need a cpu that runs farily
>cool but still delivers decent performance. Any thoughts?
>
>Dan

http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/240
(Intel Celeron 2GHz processor included, running at 1.33GHz)

and:

http://www.kingyoung.com.tw/S625F.htm
http://www.kingyoung.com.tw/S350.htm