mobile or desktop cpu

I'm building a silent PC and was wondering if using a mobile Pentium
CPU would be less likely to cause overheating problems. I would like to
go completely fanless (cpu, PS, etc) so need a cpu that runs farily
cool but still delivers decent performance. Any thoughts?

Dan
3 answers Last reply
More about mobile desktop

    buckyno2@gmail.com wrote:
    > I'm building a silent PC and was wondering if using a mobile Pentium
    > CPU would be less likely to cause overheating problems. I would like to
    > go completely fanless (cpu, PS, etc) so need a cpu that runs farily
    > cool but still delivers decent performance. Any thoughts?

    Pentium M might be a good way to go, although I'm a bit skeptical of running
    anything modern short of the very slow Via ones fanless. If you don't need
    a lot of processing power the ULV Celerons might be a good option (though
    finding a motherboard is tricky); if you have the budget, the ULV Pentium-M
    has an incredibly good performance/watt ration (*peak* is around 10W IIRC)

    One other option, though I'm not sure air-cooling is sufficient, would be to
    see if you could find a motherboard that lets you underclock... seen some
    very interesting power results running a 400mhz FSB P4 at either 266 or 200,
    though I'm not sure that it is sufficient to refmove a fan entirely.

    --
    Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/

    "This is not a humorous signature."

    On 8 Jul 2005 10:08:21 -0700, buckyno2@gmail.com wrote:

    >I'm building a silent PC and was wondering if using a mobile Pentium
    >CPU would be less likely to cause overheating problems. I would like to
    >go completely fanless (cpu, PS, etc) so need a cpu that runs farily
    >cool but still delivers decent performance. Any thoughts?

    Completely fanless is going to be VERY difficult with a mobile CPU and
    even harder with a desktop chip. If you're going for a desktop chip
    you pretty much require liquid cooling (presumably without a water
    pump since the noise of the pump would defeat the purpose of a fanless
    system) or a setup where the entire case is a heatsink, a la VoodooPC
    Eden:

    http://www.voodoopc.com/sellPage.aspx?productID=1040

    With mobile processors you are a little better off. Again your best
    bet is probably a heatsink-case. HushPC sells some that might be
    applicable:

    http://hushpc.co.uk/

    Some of their systems will even operate with desktop chips, though it
    seems like you have to kind of pick-and-choose the lowest power
    desktop chips.

    For some general information about low-noise PC equipment you might
    want to check out Silent PC Review:

    http://www.silentpcreview.com/

    -------------
    Tony Hill

    On 8 Jul 2005 10:08:21 -0700 buckyno2@gmail.com wrote in Message id:
    <1120842501.365630.235450@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:

    >I'm building a silent PC and was wondering if using a mobile Pentium
    >CPU would be less likely to cause overheating problems. I would like to
    >go completely fanless (cpu, PS, etc) so need a cpu that runs farily
    >cool but still delivers decent performance. Any thoughts?
    >
    >Dan

    http://www.logicsupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/240
    (Intel Celeron 2GHz processor included, running at 1.33GHz)

    and:

    http://www.kingyoung.com.tw/S625F.htm
    http://www.kingyoung.com.tw/S350.htm

CPUs Mobile Desktops